Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fletcher`

Hocusdoom RELEASED (in /idgames)

MusicallyInspired said:

I've recorded an SC-55 music pack of Hocus Pocus's soundtrack. I tried using them with this mod, but while it does respect the LOOP_START metadata tag for looping, it doesn't detect the LOOP_END metadata tag. My tracks repeat the first section of each song at the end and then fade out (for listening purposes outside the game). I set a metadata tag for LOOP_END in samples which the game is then supposed to detect and jump the song back to the LOOP_START tag position. The song does jump back but only after the end of the song when it's faded out. So it's ignoring the LOOP_END tag.

This isn't the case for my Doom SC-55 soundtrack, which does respect both metadata tags and loops properly. Is this an issue with ZDoom/GZDoom only paying attention to the Doom track filenames or is this something with this mod somehow messing things up? Anyone have any idea?

So I discovered my issue. I miscaluclated all the loop tags for my Hocus Pocus soundtrack (as well as my Doom II soundtrack). I'm fixing the issue and will reupload and share with those interested in a few days.

EDIT: Loop issues solved. V1.1 of the SC-55 music pack for Hocus Pocus is available.

Ragnor said:

Utterly amazing.

I know, right? I thought you couldn't spoiler pictures on DW!

Ahem. :) Pretty cool how you can have the enemy health readouts, I must say.

rf` said:

Spoiler

stuff

Woah, we got JavaScript-powered collapsible spoiler boxes on Doomworld now?

Huh. I'll have to add Doomworld to my NoScript whitelist.

Salt-Man Z said:

Awesome stuff, as always. Can't wait!

There is a download link for the updated version! Please try it! I'd love to hear some feedback.

Edit: Quick fix update because like a retard I forgot the textures.

MusicallyInspired said:

So I discovered my issue. I miscaluclated all the loop tags for my Hocus Pocus soundtrack (as well as my Doom II soundtrack). I'm fixing the issue and will reupload and share with those interested in a few days.

EDIT: Loop issues solved. V1.1 of the SC-55 music pack for Hocus Pocus is available.

While this is nice, for some reason I feel like its using the instruments in a different order, making the songs sound different. Its especially noticable in m_night.

Edit Edit: I'm slowly liking this for the other tracks though.

Yeah, it does sound different. That's how the game plays it with the Sound Canvas driver, though. I'm not sure if the composer had control over the arrangements of the instruments or not, but the device is officially supported anyway. I record officially supported SC-55 soundtracks on my website so I figured it might be of interest here if anyone felt like something different.

Nothing beats the OPL certainly, though. :)

This is certainly worth having around though. Not everyone likes OPL so its good to have a few options. Mind if I provide a download link in the main post?

rf` said:

There is a download link for the updated version! Please try it! I'd love to hear some feedback.

Of course what I meant was I can't wait for this thing to be finished. :D I'm totally gonna download the new version tonight. Did anything change in the first 6 levels or so?

Not much has changed in the first five maps outside of a few minor bugfixes. Right now I'm focusing on finishing the last remaining levels of episode 1.

Still alive! Really. Working on the secret level. I'm hoping at least one person will get what it is.

Happy 2015! I apologize for such a delay, but life tends to do that (not to mention a distinct lack of motivation). However, I haven't been totally sleeping on the job!

Current playable demo for 01-24-2015
Mp3 versions of music

• Completely redid map06. No longer lags and flows much better.
  • added map07
  • started map08 (Not finished)
  • started map09 (Not finished)
  • added map10
  • added map11 (episode 2)
  • added sprites and mechanics for hocus player. (jumping animation works too!)
  • changed projectiles for Power Wand again. The blue and Red just didn't feel right.
  • Fixed floor check for the jump potion particles. Should work now. (a bit goofy if you hit a ceiling)
  • New weapon sprites to match the toony look.
  • Made Monsters return to their original position when they despawn
  • Reverted monster returning because it doesn't work yet.
  • added some E2 enemies (blackbeast, mummy, bat)
  • added some E3 enemies (secret enemies)
  • added A_SentinelBob to flying monsters to see how they work (works nicely)
  • added sound variants for power/rapid fire weapons
  • added some secret stuff
  • added textures and decorations for Egypt and Night 2 sets
  • Reworked how bosses work. They should despawn and reset the boss health bar scripts fine now.
Screenshots:
Spoiler

As always, let me know what you think and if you find any bugs or broken things.

ducon said:

G! 8-o

How many maps in the final WAD?

I guess 40 if each episode will have a secret level. Or maybe one or two more. Who knows. Very excellent work up until now.

Did it actually execute? For me, it said there's an unknown command 'NEVERTARGET' in the 1345th line of the script command console.

I've played a few of these maps. I still dislike how the monsters only have more health on higher difficulties - it doesn't make them more challenging to fight, it just makes it take more time and require more camping, and I find it annoying and only play on the lowest difficulty for this sole reason. It also honestly bugs me that the protagonist's view height is apparently higher than Doomguy's standard view height, really, even though it doesn't seem like a big problem at first sight, it DOES feel strongly unnatural to me during gameplay. Then I don't like how the basic weapon obscures the player's view too much, even in its Ready state, not to say Fire state which even obscures the view in the center - again, annoying. I'm not even so impressed by the straightforward-shooting gameplay and exploring one room after another, it needs more twists / traps / a bit more elaborate challenging moments. The art style + visual aspect of the environments and things are quite awesome, though. Nice work.

Darkwolf secret map feedback: the dirt platform at the beginning are hard to see against the dirt wall background. There's a grey ork under the castle's access bridge. I couldn't figure out how to get to the eight hidden treasure chests without cheating (character cannot jump high enough to reach a tree top; at first it's possible to jump on the rope bridge's posts to then jump on a tree and then on the hill, then the next hill can be jumped to directly, but after that I'm stuck).

Cell said:

Did it actually execute? For me, it said there's an unknown command 'NEVERTARGET' in the 1345th line of the script command console.

Update to the latest svn of gzdoom. It should work.

Gez said:

Darkwolf secret map feedback: the dirt platform at the beginning are hard to see against the dirt wall background. There's a grey ork under the castle's access bridge. I couldn't figure out how to get to the eight hidden treasure chests without cheating (character cannot jump high enough to reach a tree top; at first it's possible to jump on the rope bridge's posts to then jump on a tree and then on the hill, then the next hill can be jumped to directly, but after that I'm stuck).

There are actually nearly-invisible platforms you can jump on to get up there. The original level in Darkwolf had invisible steps that sort of had a mirror/shimmer effect when you landed on them but I can't recreate that in gzdoom.

scifista42 said:

I've played a few of these maps. I still dislike how the monsters only have more health on higher difficulties - it doesn't make them more challenging to fight, it just makes it take more time and require more camping, and I find it annoying and only play on the lowest difficulty for this sole reason. It also honestly bugs me that the protagonist's view height is apparently higher than Doomguy's standard view height, really, even though it doesn't seem like a big problem at first sight, it DOES feel strongly unnatural to me during gameplay. Then I don't like how the basic weapon obscures the player's view too much, even in its Ready state, not to say Fire state which even obscures the view in the center - again, annoying. I'm not even so impressed by the straightforward-shooting gameplay and exploring one room after another, it needs more twists / traps / a bit more elaborate challenging moments. The art style + visual aspect of the environments and things are quite awesome, though. Nice work.

The way the difficulty settings work is fairly similar to how it was in the original game, as well as the general gameplay. Hocus Pocus had fairly simple mechanics, yes. I've tried to add new things to them but still keep it relatively the same. Obviously I'll add new traps and stuff like that later on but the core gameplay should remain arcade style. Keep in mind this is only the first episode out of four, so I'd like to gradually introduce the player to new concepts throughout the game. (You don't get the fireball or homing potions until episode 2 for example.)

While I'll keep trying to make the game play smoothly and fun, I also have to accept that I won't be able to please everyone. As far as the weapon sprites go, I can always tweak them some more. Not really sure what to do. The original game sprites (player sprites) looked like Hocus was dancing Disco rather than shooting lightning from your hands, so I'm not sure what to do there. If you'd like to help with sprites, you are more than welcome to help out and make them better! I'd honestly welcome it.

rf` said:

Update to the latest svn of gzdoom. It should work.

I'd highlight that it should.

R_OPENGL: Unable to create an OpenGL 3.x render context.
But it fucking doesn't.

Cell said:

But it fucking doesn't.

I just downloaded the absolute latest version (gzdoom-g2.1.pre-583-g4446922.7z) and can confirm, at least for me, that it does work. If its not working for you then you should submit a bug report on the zdoom forums.