https://www.dropbox.com/s/qp9nco8upbp6hp6/hocusdoom-01-26-2019.pk3?dl=0
Ogg versions of music (updated)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4wlfocvkewtmrj/hocusogg.pk3?dl=1

changelog for - 01-26-2019

• few minor fixes in levels
  • fixed stray pixel on Terrexin sprite
  • fixed stray pixel on magic crystal sprite
  • fixed ceiling portal in map15
  • fixed a bug where dormant bosses still blocked shots. apparently it matters when you declare the Monster combo.
  • fixed several more ceiling portals and added one to map25
  • removed a crystal entirely on map25. I spent way too many times completely passing it by, as I'm sure did everyone else.
  • more various missing textures fixed, and maps touched up.
  • easter egg treasure no longer counts to total treasure
  • weapon powerups no longer give score
  • added a jump pad in map34. I don't like inescapable pits.
  • altered powered up launcher for jazz secret
  • expanded boss arena on map40 and prevented boss from getting suck on the sign
  • fixed various issues with ULTRA difficulty, hopefully.
  • raised a power bomb off of the slime in map14 so that you can get it without taking damage.
  • added laser barriers for the trolodon fight so you can't go back down until the next phase. This solves the issue of trolodon not targetting you through a portal, and gives the fight a little more urgency.
  • spiders jump now. experience fear.
  • remade treasure room in map39
  • testing autofire for your main weapon. its slower than clicking (even at level 1 power), but I've had a lot of people ask for it over the years.

4 minutes ago, rf` said:

testing autofire for your main weapon. its slower than clicking (even at level 1 power), but I've had a lot of people ask for it over the years.

Yes. Thank you.

No problem. I literally just did that one today. I've tried it before, but was never happy with how it felt. That was several revisions ago though.

The thing is: I could easily have hacked some kind of autofire in myself, but that would feel like cheating.

I made a cover. I hope you like it. Thanks for this amazing Total Conversion Mod!!

hocuspocuscoverDVD.jpg.8cf93f47814c31c948c41d619f578452.jpg

Edited by beerandgame : update

Found something. In MAP34, there's a jump pand to get you out of a lava pit

Spoiler

at the laser barrier mini puzzle area.

It doesn't propel you high enough to get out of the lava, so you are stuck there.

Current playable version for 08-13-2019
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mz816ypixvp93t8/hocusdoom 08-13-2019.pk3?dl=1

changelog for - 08-13-2019

• power wand now has alt mode. press [reload] to switch (much like the secret weapons)
  • changed language entries for throw bombs and weapon mode switch in controls.
  • new enemy - tree spirit
  • cosmetic updates to maps 25 and 26
  • changes to HARD difficulty. lowered health to the same as normal, but dialed up aggressiveness.
  • more various bugfixes in maps
  • disabling the lasers in map20 plays a sound now
  • fixed sequence string in map13 not showing up properly
  • allow the ability to restart a map upon completion, in case you want to try again for a better score.
  • fixed sound issue with that one lift in map17
  • moved a flower enemy out of a tree in map18
  • fixed a clipping issue with the tower in map22
  • adjusted the brightmap for the egyptian tesla model
  • changed thing portals in map29 to line portals to speed them up a bit
  • moved starfield effect to a camera texture (automap no londer overlays them in intermissions)
  • abyssal hydra are more dangerous now
  • power wand shots use fewer particles (three rays instead of 4 for each shot)
  • player no longer takes double damage in hard difficulty. instead the time a player is unable to be hurt after taking damage will be longer or shorter depending on skill.
  • decoupled player pain flash from rapid fire flash scripts.
  • completely new particles for torches. hopefully less intensive.

Awesome how you keep at it and update this thing over and over. Gonna re-play it real soon!

@rf`

I've figured out the games of inspiration for Level 10 (had to look the name up) and Levels 30/40 (knew those instantly). But I absolutely cannot figure out what games Level 20 is a reference to and boy is it bothering me. Could you post it here, or message me?

Levels 30/40 regular health pickups take you way above the usual max (ie far into the gold hearts) BTW. Don't know if this was intended.

I will say, mod is very cool overall and I love the idea behind the secret levels too :)

Secret levels

MAP10: Dark Wolf from D'India Software

Spoiler

MAP20: Electro Man (also known as Electro Body) from X Land Computer Games

Spoiler

MAP30: Jill of the Jungle from Epic MegaGames

Spoiler

MAP40: Jazz Jackrabbit from Epic MegaGames

Spoiler

Yeah, the first two are quite a bit more obscure than the latter two.

Thanks @Gez! I never played or previously even heard at all of Dark Wolf or Electro Man at all (the name for Level 20 is also a red herring, Robodreams, made me search for a game with robot in the name, like RoboCop perhaps). Jill of the Jungle and Jazz Jackrabbit I had heard of and played in my childhood (as well as Hocus Pocus itself), especially fond of Jazz Jackrabbit. Jill of the Jungle was alright, but when thinking about pre-Jazz Jackrabbit Epic titles, I preferred Xargon (now in fact a free game) probably by a factor of 10x or more.

As a child I was also quite fond of Duke Nukem II, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, and Keen 4-6 (but D2TWID already had done Keen references).

@elend Spoiler, if desired:

Search Level 12 (E2M2) for access to it.

Edited by FrancisT18

Hocus Pocus is not a game I would have thought about making into a Doom mod but this looks great! I played Hocus Pocus a lot when I was younger and I actually still have the CD for it.

I think I found and purchased the original Hocus Pocus shortly after this mod showed up. This version is easily the superior one.

Current playable version for 10-15-2019
https://www.dropbox.com/s/befkrs6uqtfp736/hocusdoom-10-15-19.pk3?dl=1
Ogg versions of music

changelog for - 10-15-2019

• completely redone torches again. use so much fewer actors now.
  • all bosses have rebalanced resistance to the power wand. they take half damage now.
  • Trolodon's health changed from 3000 to 2000
  • Wraith's projectile speed cut in half.
  • power wand shots are now homing.
  • fixed typo in one of the Wizard's chat strings.
Edited by rf`

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iidpui6hasb2y1j/hocusdoomrc1.pk3?dl=1

I'm hoping to wrap this up in the next few days. Clock's ticking!

I'm not going to worry about the highscore table until maybe a later patch. I just want to get this out the door already so I can focus on other things. :P

changelog:

• added ENDOOM by CGA Gillian Seed
  • added musical fixes by CGA Gillian Seed
  • added intro card thanks to Scuba Steve
  • updated map39 to fix some errors
  • more typo fixes
  • imported maps for final compilation
  • shaved off almost 9mb in trimming extraneous files
  • compressed many sounds to cut down filesize.

Congratulations on the release - what a journey it’s been :) This was one of the first gzdoom total conversions I saw and I was amazed by how detailed and meticulous the whole thing was.

Thanks for all the hard work on this awesome project. I will definitely play it when I find the time.

version 1.1 candidate:
Current playable version for 12-27-2019
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cpmlrajvxwgf1c/HOCUS.pk3?dl=1

changelog for - 12-27-2019

• fixed stair bug in map22
  • fixed powerup flashes
  • fixed a bug in map37 where certain monsters would keep spawning every time you entered a specific sector. only spawns them once now.
  • added monster blocking lines to most lava areas in map22
  • removed switch and replaced with a crystal on map21
  • updated help pics
  • fixed fence textures in map28
  • made a door in map17 easier to activate by drunk brits
  • made electroman mines visible in the dark
  • fixed texture misalignment in map25
  • stairs lower on map25 when you first reach the top of the library, rather than at the key
  • fixed bug with 3d blocks rendering through each other

Dude.... the secret levels all being a different game from the 90s....

dang I don't want to spoil but the 4th episode secret level... just fuzzy feels man. Hint: RAPID FIRE.

Hey! Just wanted to drop by and thank you, as a huge fan of the original this mod brings tears to my eyes, and i love it! 

Just a quick question, does anyone know which levels contain the secret level gems? So far i found  the first two, both on E1M4 and E2M4 i think.... I dont wish to know how to get to them, just, which level has them.

Edit: No it was E2M2. Still, which episode 3 and 4 level has the secret level gem?

Edited by Flytrap

I felt like reading the whole thread, stuff like this warms my heart.

Slow but steady progress on a project throughout the years, made out of love for an old game that not that many people remember today, and the excitement of seeing it being done one day.

I know I'm late, but this mod is great and I also want to congratulate you on the release, I wish I had found this sooner so I could feel excited for it.

Hey rf`, just wanted to put in my two cents here. When I first saw this pop up on the front page I thought "Wasn't that released years ago? Who necroed this?". I didn't realize the version I played when it first came out wasn't finalized. I'm not sure why, but I didn't get that far into it back then, for whatever reason.

I'm glad it came back up. I'm up to level five, and I am very impressed by what you've done here. It's such a beautiful world that you've created in 3D, from a simple 90's platformer. I only had the shareware back in the day, but I loved it. First time I loaded up the new release it was getting late and thought "I'll just play one level to see if it's worth continuing". I finally stopped at level four. It is absolutely fantastic, I love the art style, the level design and complexity, and despite the limited arsenal, it never seems to get old, or too punishing, and that's good level design.

Kudos, to you. I'm glad you've kept updating it this long, because it's brilliant. Unless it drops off in quality after the shareware episode, in which case it's crap.