Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fletcher`

Hocusdoom RELEASED (in /idgames)

Is there a way for me to give some money to you Ravage?

Hocus Pocus is my favourite DOS game, and it brings me such great joy to play it, and your MOD brought back those memories of playing the game for the first time, and for that i cannot thank you enough.

That you for this fantastic WAD! I had great fun playing through it. At first I was worried the game would be too easy, but the difficulty nicely ramps up (with some of the final episode maps being quite brutal!) The level design is top-notch in the final episode, too.

A couple of quality of life suggestions, if you decide to do another update:
1. It would be useful to see the par time somewhere on the HUD, to know if you're on track for getting the bonus (for instance, maybe by having the HUD count down from the par time, instead of up?)
2. It's hard to use the flamethrower potion effectively, since the lingering flames block visibility and make it hard to dodge incoming projectiles.
3. The last crystal ball in Dinotopia is evil! If you try to jump you can easily hit your head on the ceiling and miss the crystal ball. You can hit it by running out of the window, but if you are too cautious, you again will miss the ball (and then have to waste a lot of time making your way back to it again).

Just a reminder that the modified version of it to run in slower computers is ready since December 2019:

LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cy4b3dvu7k7clzp/AAA5Aju7NeDa6vZoVruhXDpJa?dl=0

Other modified mods are inside the "Other Butchering Projects" directory.

It will run without framerate drops on a core2duo laptop 1.20 GHz (that's not a typo, it's 1.20 indeed)

It's probable that you'll have to play it with LZdoom if gzdoom doesn't start up for you. (gzdoom will not start up on this older GPU despite if being fully OpenGL 3.30 compatible)

Gameplay preserved, only aesthetic changes for impact on performance.

The only substantial change between this and the original is the fact of being possible to Auto-Fire if you keep the mouse button pressed down (significantly better to play that way on laptop touchpads)

Map39 (the last final boss) will still run slow at certain points, due to the lots of portals and other things I wasn't able to track down. (this map would run fine if I opened an editor and deleted all Things, leading me to believe there's some object causing the slowdown, it's not only the size of the map this time)

No need to put my name on the credits, I'm not a "worthy" name for the community.

Excuse me while I play this great mod for the 11th time.

Hey boys, girls, other assorted genderlings, its been a while, huh? Sadly life's like that I guess.

This update fixes a bunch of things and brings me closer to getting it ready for the new episodes!

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cpmlrajvxwgf1c/HOCUS.pk3?dl=1

changelog for - 2-19-2022

• removed weaker fire from the power wand. Its not really necessary in the grand scale of things
  • changed the flamethrower effect for the power wand.
  • new powerup: advanced spellbook. allows you to switch between active weapon spells. can't switch to no ammo but gives some flexibiity. only used in E5
  • new weapon: tornado shot: fires a slow moving tornado that homes in on enemies on the ground. only used in E5
  • new weapon: nova shot: fires bolts in a circle around the player. only used in E5
  • fixed a bug where using alt-fire on a secret weapon if you have no bombs kills the weapon prematurely
  • gave secret weapon a language string
  • moved hocusdoom options to a separate menu so that its more visible (due to recent changes to gzdoom's menu)
  • disabled mandatory opl override for music. let the players choose how they want to listen to the music (regardless of how I feel)
  • fix bugs/small problems in many maps
  • krull blade should now properly rip through enemies. (I hope. bouncing rippers always behave weirdly)
  • breakable scenery now has +CANTSEEK. they shouldn't be prioritized over enemies when shooting
  • fixed egyptian lights not casting light
  • cleaned up all torch definitions because the way the embers for each torch spawned was different bothered me.
  • removed maps 97,98, and 99 as they're no longer needed
  • fixed blank line spam in the console when picking up treasure
  • updated menus (partially)
  • updated help, credits, story, and end screens (woo, animations!)
  • changed secret weapon's rapid fire attack (still does the same damage)
  • changed secret weapon's flame fire attack (the odds of ever getting this combo are very rare but its basically cheating)
  • reverted an old change - rapid fire for your basic attack now shoots one shot for every tic, not every other tic. makes it twice as powerful, but the power wand laser is still more powerful.
  • redid the fireball shot. different vfx and now throws flamethrower shots to the ground upon death
  • reverted an old change - use the original sprites for lava spit projectiles I made
  • added editornums for new weapons though first four episodes won't use them. they are available for anyone to use
  • cleaned up monster and boss definitions
  • Time no longer ticks while the Start Window at the beginning of the game is open
  • Game is also paused while the Start Window is open
  • particles scale up with distance like quake (but not as aggressively)
  • health bar script no longer checks for cvars for bosses (less hardcody so you can have multiple bosses per episode if you wanted)
  • reduced the amount of particles that most projectiles spawn (since they're bigger far away they're easier to see)
  • monsters now have +LOOKALLAROUND. not sure why they didn't before.
  • added a rainbow shader & dynamic light, based on the one from Void & Rainbow
  • monsters can technically 'bleed' now, used for special effects
  • invulnerability potion lasts for 15 seconds instead of 30
  • split HELP and STORY into separate menus
  • fixed a bug where player shots would give power wand charges on non-enemy targets like blocks
  • fixed a bug where if you empty the power wand and immediately switch to another weapon, it would not passively charge itself
  • balance changes to trolodon. more health, less resistant to the power wand

So I've been made aware that someone's posted my mod on ModDB, and I want to make it very clear that I did not authorize it. Doomworld, Idgames, and Zdoom forums are the only places I have posted this mod in, so be wary of that.

1 hour ago, Fletcher` said:

So I've been made aware that someone's posted my mod on ModDB, and I want to make it very clear that I did not authorize it. Doomworld, Idgames, and Zdoom forums are the only places I have posted this mod in, so be wary of that.

Write to ModDB support. They do a fine job of removing unnecessary content.

I was in the mood to play this again, but the 3D models and HUD are broken in the latest GZDoom stable build (4.10.0). I tried a few older versions of GZDoom and can confirm they load correctly on 4.7.1. I have not tested any versions between that and current stable. This was a fantastic mod and even if it doesn't get fixed going forward I wanted to leave a note for anyone else experiencing problems.

1795934347_Screenshot2023-08-06130620.png.da210550b8137ad83bc0be6a50a94f8a.png

I want to thank you for bumping this, StillWind85, because I'd completely missed it. But I do want to ask if you're running something else along with the HOCUS.pk3, or what your GZDoom configuration is, because I'm not getting that error:

1220541541_hpd410.jpg.bcbe8afae5cdd1894374fd6374a61362.jpg

Do you have the Render Mode set to "Hardware Accelerated"? Because I could replicate half your problem there by switching to "True Color SW Renderer". No idea what's causing the HUD to freak out though lol.

On 8/6/2023 at 3:53 PM, Daytime Waitress said:

I want to thank you for bumping this, StillWind85, because I'd completely missed it. But I do want to ask if you're running something else along with the HOCUS.pk3, or what your GZDoom configuration is, because I'm not getting that error:

1220541541_hpd410.jpg.bcbe8afae5cdd1894374fd6374a61362.jpg

Do you have the Render Mode set to "Hardware Accelerated"? Because I could replicate half your problem there by switching to "True Color SW Renderer". No idea what's causing the HUD to freak out though lol.

I am running with True Color SW Renderer + Vulkan at 1080p.
I don't remember turning on hardware acceleration anywhere but I was playing around with lots of settings when I got this build.

(Edit) - I was loading the hocusogg.wad file as well, but tested with both. That was my first thought, some sort of load conflict. Regardless of whether or not I had the second wad loaded, models and HUD were wrong.

(Edit 2) - I played around with my settings after pointing out I was using the software renderer and that was indeed the issue with the models (obvious in retrospect). The HUD appears to be transparent because the default size in a new game is transparent, if you back that down 1 HUD size you get the full art HUD. So, no issue here, just me being dumb and over eager to share it. Seems to be working as expected so far! Thanks again to Fletcher for this amazing mod.

Edited by StillWind85 : Removed link to config since this was a non-issue

I'm glad you were able to fix the issue! Sorry I haven't replied to much lately. Life has a way of happening to you I guess. 

In other news, Bart, otherwise known as Dosgamert just streamed through a bunch of it today: 

I'll try to post an update on what I'm working on later tonight!