Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peach freak

TNT Map31 Error?

I was doing some testing in this map. Near the end of the level, you pick up a Megasphere and then hit a switch. This allows numerous Shotgun Guys to be released into the room.

I was running through this map on Chocolate Doom, and before I got to the switch, I was spotted by a Shotgun Guy who then teleported into a sector that wasn't lowered. This caused the Shotgun Guy to get stuck, and when I hit the switch, the Shotgun Guys weren't released, nor did they react to my gunfire.

I tried other source ports (ZDoom, Doomsday, even Boom, and they didn't get stuck).

Is this a Vanilla error?

Nice find. Yeah, two shotgun guys notice the player through a wall due to a "hole" in the REJECT table or something, one of them teleports, gets stuck and in vanilla a floor can't move if something is stuck in it (most source ports, including Boom, fix it) so they aren't released.

Note that in TNT31.wad (the patch made by Team TNT to fix the yellow key bug) this doesn't happen: seems like they saved the map with another nodebuilder and that also magically fixed the shotgun guys getting stuck.

edit: here is a 10 years old thread where Ty Halderman mentions this briefly: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/356764

Memfis said:
Note that in TNT31.wad (the patch made by Team TNT to fix the yellow key bug) this doesn't happen: seems like they saved the map with another nodebuilder and that also magically fixed the shotgun guys getting stuck.

Just to expand on that: the fix to the node problem wasn't 'magical', but quite deliberate, and one of the reasons for the release of the patch (along with the yellow key problem).

It kinda confuses me that that fix WAD was never rolled into the IWAD in any capacity. I'd roll it in myself, but then I presume I'd have netgame incompatibilities (in the rare event that a netgame I'm playing doesn't just use doom2.wad as the IWAD).

Shadow Hog said:

It kinda confuses me that that fix WAD was never rolled into the IWAD in any capacity.

Actually it did. Oddly enough though, the only known release with the fix is the id anthology. There is no official patch, and also Steam has still the buggy version, afaIk.

There is an unofficial patch to upgrade to (and downgrade from!) the id Anthology version, linked here: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Game_patch#Final_Doom

Most notably it does fix tnt.wad MAP31 issues, missing deathmatch starts in Plutonia and some others. Engine-wise, it even has a new version of doom2.exe that doesn't crash looking for DEMO4 and teleporters were fixed. Chocolate Doom can even emulate that version with "-gameversion final2" :D