Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Is there a Doom source port with social network plug-ins?

Just for fun: has any port attempted to include in the intermission tally an optional "Share on Facebook/Twitter/Google+/etc." button (Mister Joe is playing MAP03 of Speed of Doom, check it out.)?

Or, semantically related, developping its own social scheme between users (with achievements and score ranking among peers etc.)?

Not that I'm aware of however I have done a fair bit of research into this myself. My conclusion was that it would be extremely self serving of any port to deliver such a thing if it was done in a way which tied the social network to a specific port.

From a port developers perspective it is important to ask yourself a key question; Am I serving the player community or myself? If its the former then the network should be centred around the game and not the source port. Which means that any solution should not be tied to the features of any one in particular. In essence there should be a "port-used" metadata string in the shared data, nothing more. Ideally there would be a common, open library which any port could link to.

The whole point in such a thing is to increase Doom's exposure to a wider gaming community and offer more modern channels for communication within it. Just because some (most?) of the oldschool players don't care for such frivolity doesn't mean that newer (perhaps younger) players wouldn't appreciate the opportunity to promote their new found love amongst their circle of friends.

In my opinion such a thing can only be a net win for the community at large, if implemented correctly/thoughtfully.

Why would you disable it though? You don't want to be offered the chance to share because you have no inclination to communicate/socialize with other Doom players? (Perhaps the very people you are communicating with right now on this forum :P) This seems quite illogical to me. (However, this is another good reason for a shared solution in the form of a library; don't want? => don't install.)

Gez said:

If something like that appeared in a port I use, I'd go out of my way to find out how to disable it.

My sentiments exactly. Maybe I'm just too old for this nonsense but this entire 'social networking' crap makes me sick.

Maybe that feature could be added to the wishlist for Tormentor's Doom Frontend - along with an option to disable it. That's how Cloanto chose to implement social networking in their Amiga Forever and C64 Forever emulators, which rely on third parties for their platform engines.

DaniJ said:

Why would you disable it though?

I don't use twitter/facebook/google+/tumblr/etc. and I do not want to start. Seeing the option to push what I'm doing (to a social network account I do not have) pop up during play wouldn't offer me any feature I could use or would want to use, it'd merely annoy me.

I've looked into the possibility of having any kind of the most minimal possible share or like or what have you for the doomwiki, and I'm never ever doing it because all of those services are just tracking you. As a webmaster of the old-school variety it is my responsibility to protect my users, not farm them out.

Everything you do on a site that has "social integration" is being listened to and permanently recorded by the scripts that they inject into your site if you have an active account with that service, and probably even if you don't - try signing up to one and see what it already spookishly thinks it knows about you... probably way more than you'd like.

Quasar said:

I've looked into the possibility of having any kind of the most minimal possible share or like or what have you for the doomwiki, and I'm never ever doing it because all of those services are just tracking you.

It could probably be done in a fairly straightforward way by hiding the buttons behind some Javascript: for example, have a "Share" button that when pressed loads an iframe to reveal the sharing buttons.

Heh, it appears almost half the replies are almost half interested. I expected to see reasonable disagreements here -- namely that Doom (especially random wads) is too geeky and not some topic that the world at large would be interested seeing on social networks. But yet, why not try and see what happens... :)

If something like this appeared in a port, I'd disable it or I may even stop using the port on principle.

I don't share photographs of my breakfast either.

Those share buttons annoy me. I hate them on pages. But if I saw them in a port I would disable them or quit using the port. To echo Enjay's above post. Just not a fan of that stuff getting in my way and trying to track me. Thank god for ad block plus and custom filters, among other things we can do.

I've played cell phone games that said

"You beat level 1! hit this button to share your achievement!"

my only thought when I see that is "I REALLY hope I don't accidentally hit that"

Personally, I'm just not interested in social networking, and I have a hard time understanding why a tweet/etc. button would really lead to any meaningful conversation or benefit to Doom.

If I were on the receiving end of those messages, well... In general, I don't have much tolerance for something that looks like a canned, automatically generated message, most of the time those sort of messages aren't useful and I just skip them; if I saw a lot of those messages I'd just stop paying attention to who was sending it.

Enjay said:

I don't share photographs of my breakfast either.

Neither do I, but there's people out there who feel the world at large needs to know their every move. So far as I'm concerned, social networking features in games are just generating spam.

Those share buttons annoy me. I hate them on pages.

God, yes. I'm cool with other people using social networks, but in answer to DaniJ's question, here's a good reason to disable features like that: it looks out of place. It messes with aesthetics. It ruins immersion, and this is pretty big in a FPS.

Every now and then, some genuinely great websites manage to guilt trip me into disabling my adblocker... But I always put it back within minutes, because ads almost always ruin the look.

I guess this is not so bad when those things happen in downtime, i.e. ads in youtube videos playing before the content, or share buttons only coming up at an intermission screen. Still, no matter when, it can ruin the mood. Especially if you use the official icons (which inevitably look ugly) rather than integrate it smoothly in the game graphics with proper fonts and such.

I'm trying hard to recall if I ever saw a more hideous idea proposed on these forums but my memory fails me.

Up next :
DoomBlocker+ the social network and general tracking blocker for doom.

Sounds like an idea for people that share more than they know.
Although i could see a facebook doom game as possible...

I'm trying hard to think of a way to express my disgust for this hideous idea but my imagination fails me.

Hilarious reactions in this thread!

I guess the closest thing to what printz is talking about would be ScoreDoom, where the players complete levels on various settings, it calculates their score based on some formula and sends it to the website. And you can compare your scores to other players' and stuff.

I think it would be cool if there was some page that would display who is currently playing Doom, what wad are they playing, on what settings, maybe even their stats, the number of found secrets and killed monsters, etc. The source ports would connect to it and send all the data regularly. I probably would use it and sometimes just look at it out of curiousity to see what j4rio is playing or something.

Maybe even have the option to actually broadcast the gameplay so that anyone could watch how you conquer AV map25 real-time, comment in chat, etc. Should be doable and very traffic-free in demo-friendly ports I guess? I mean you could just send every tic of the demo instead of broadcasting a video. Such a thing would definitely increase playing activity.

Heh I remember seeing something similar for a PS3 game that was taken down later.

Imagine if every kill you made in death match was posted to twitter or facebook.

My god.

The only port which could have come close to do that (and didn't) was that Javascript port of Doom done with enscriptem -however, it was not easy to interleave generated/obfuscated Javascript with "real" JavaScript which could be used to implement buttons.

Why would anyone want social-networking integrated into Doom?! I find it pointless since anyone on any social network would probably not give a shit about you finishing E1M1 in less than 30 seconds.

I like Zdaemon's account and scoring system, that's a good enough Doom Deathmatch record for me. Hell, even that has it's flaws, but it's nice to have a score that you can build up. I'd like it if they introduced a way to track amount of monsters you've killed online as well.

When I don't feel like being ranked, I just play Odamex or Zandronum. (Acutally, this is usually decided by which port has a populated DM server when I log in, no thinking person cares that much about EXP anyway.)

When tracked scores come into play, you of course get the issue of "nothing but Brit10 BFG spamfest servers", but that's another topic altogether.

Graf Zahl said:

My sentiments exactly. Maybe I'm just too old for this nonsense but this entire 'social networking' crap makes me sick.

Copy that.

Why the fuck would anyone want to share such trivial and generally meaningless info with everyone they know on a social media site? "Oh look, I'm testing that map again for the 10th time today, better tell everyone on Facebook about it!"

I play games to get away from boring cunts in the 'real world', not invite them in to bore me to death again with a post about which cup of fucking coffee they're drinking on this particular day.

BaronOfStuff said:

Why the fuck would anyone want to share such trivial and generally meaningless info with everyone they know on a social media site? "Oh look, I'm testing that map again for the 10th time today, better tell everyone on Facebook about it!"

I play games to get away from boring cunts in the 'real world', not invite them in to bore me to death again with a post about which cup of fucking coffee they're drinking on this particular day.

Can't disagree with that -- well said.

"You have 20+ Doom requests from Buddy Dacote."

I dislike media abuse. Social media specifically (but it seems that I differ from the majority of people of my age in my country). I'm with Gez:

Gez said: