Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ty Halderman

Archive cleanup

Probably not since they were accepted? Also there is a report button on /idgames for spam comments.

Memfis said:

Probably not since they were accepted? Also there is a report button on /idgames for spam comments.

There's, uh, quite a lot of them. Also I PM'd Essel and he said it was being taken care of, but that was a few days ago.

Obsidian said:

Dunno if this should be here, but a few days ago a good portion of the wads over 50 megabytes(and a few under) were spammed with "THIS FILE IS OVER 50MB ITS BREAKING THE RULES TY PLEASE REMOVE IT": the comments are still on the pages. Also, does the rule itself still apply?

There's no rule that says it can't be over 50MB (especially unzipped), but there's a chance of it being auto-deleted if we aren't aware of it.

README.INCOMING said:

FILE SIZE LIMIT:

No uploaded files should typically be over 50MB. Please email me
if you have a file over 50MB that you need to upload before
you do it so we can discuss options.

All stems from a time several years ago where people (using the term loosely) were trying to fill the disk with 100's of 100MB files.

Someone's sour grapes about their file having been rejected, would be my guess, though that wouldn't have been the reason.

This needs to be moved to the Terrywads directory: the only thing that's remotely related to X-rated material is the Meatspin music in the wad.

Obsidian said:

This needs to be moved to the Terrywads directory: the only thing that's remotely related to X-rated material is the Meatspin music in the wad.

The author requested that, so I did it. I told him he had to change the text file if it was going to be admitted to Terrywads and he said to move it to x-rated.

Ty Halderman said:

The author requested that, so I did it. I told him he had to change the text file if it was going to be admitted to Terrywads and he said to move it to x-rated.

Huh. Can't say I agree with it considering there isn't any x-rated material in the wad whatsoever, but I suppose it's your call. I have a suspicion that his cohorts might try pull something similar to dodge the Terrywads directory in future though. :/

Obsidian said:

Huh. Can't say I agree with it considering there isn't any x-rated material in the wad whatsoever

Did you read the text file? That's the thing that was going to get it rejected. No advantage to them of putting things in x-rated because it doesn't even show up at all in newstuff when it goes there. They want these things visible.

but I suppose it's your call.

Yup :-)

That's another reason why I think there ought to be a general Trollwads 'theme' (with Terrywads under it) -- and treat 'em just like xrated. Go straight to Trollwads, do not pass /newstuff, do not collect 200 eyeballs. Kinda ruins the 'visibility' motivation.

Should we not have commmenting on uploads require a Doomworld forum account but anon votes show they voted (showing an IP address for admins/staff)? This could cut down a little bit of spiteful downrating.

TL;DR Commenting and voting allowed by registered forum accounts, anon can vote but cannot comment and is IP logged.

Or registered with a certain minimum post count in order to be eligible for commenting / voting.

Glaice said:

TL;DR Commenting and voting allowed by registered forum accounts, anon can vote but cannot comment and is IP logged.

Isn't the Terrywads theme not good enough for you? If we were to implement this idea, then that mean there will be less reviews. If there's anonymous people spamming the archives, then the moderators can do something about it and remove the spam which doesn't happen very often anyways. Most of the reviews that are posted on idgames are from anonymous people.

Mordeth: I like that idea, it encourages would-be users who would spitefully 0 star content to be forced to participate in the forums first. I've had a handful of 0 stars simply because "It's Mr. Chris shit" or "Uses BD shit", which are just stupid reasons to vote my stuff down.

Two more Heretic wads that are in the Doom directory:

levels/doom/d-f/fortress.zip
levels/doom/deathmatch/v-z/wildwatr.zip

Mad Butcher said:

Two more Heretic wads that are in the Doom directory:

levels/doom/d-f/fortress.zip
levels/doom/deathmatch/v-z/wildwatr.zip

After 19 years since upload, even. Neither file says it's for Heretic--closest thing is happening to notice the wording "or fly" in fortress.txt, and no clue in wildwatr. Whoever was maintaining the archive apparently didn't play the uploads (and tools weren't especially good to analyze them either).

Anyway, moved. Thanks.

Linkrulezall said:

Glaice, I thought you said you didn't let trolls bother you?

He just wants Ty to implement such a feature that makes commenting on wads exclusive to forum members because he doesn't like the fact that people say he sucks.

Imback55 said:

He just wants Ty to implement...

Just as a reminder, I have nothing to do with DoomWorld nor (especially) its review process. I'm just a librarian on an obscure planet somewhere...

Ya missed one.

I'm not surprised you missed it, I took a look at the insides of it after I noticed it had some fishy reviews and it turns out they have found a way of covertly creating Terry wads to slip under the radar, you have to either look into the map in a map editor (SLADE) or play the map to discover the trap (so this probably means there will be more of these in the future).

mrthejoshmon said:

...creating Terry wads to slip under the radar...

It's not a Terrywad, it's just a troll wad / joke wad.

There are specific characteristics in a Terrywad and this does not have them. I do in fact open every file and look at it in at a minimum SLADE and sometimes other tools.

I just realized that the .message file in that and most other directories does not appear in listings so I've duplicated that into a README.TXT file for terrywads/ and will do so for the other directories that have one. (By default a file starting with a dot won't show in a directory listing in *nix)

Not sure when/if that'll show up in the index here on DoomWorld, but it's on the site now. If you'd like a direct link, here it is:

ftp://archives.gamers.org/pub/idgames/themes/terrywads/README.TXT

Hmm, apparently Pandemonium found a way to dodge the terrywads directory by creating a wad called "The Depths of the Catacombs" that contains a Terry trap but without the rape threats. If the terrywads directory continues to be dodged, it should be renamed trollwads.

Breezeep said:

It's actually an earlier Terrywad with almost all of it's usual hallmarks ripped out: all I found was a resized SOMEMONG texture and some random comments in some of the lumps. It's technically not a Terrywad anymore, so it'll probably stay where it is.

Obsidian said:

It's actually an earlier Terrywad with almost all of it's usual hallmarks ripped out: all I found was a resized SOMEMONG texture and some random comments in some of the lumps. It's technically not a Terrywad anymore, so it'll probably stay where it is.

Yeah this really is another kind of wad that I'm concerned about which is the "trap" wad (not to be confused with the likely overlapping definition "crap" wad). Not Terry-exclusive and not among the ones that fit the criteria for being put in the themes/terrywads directory.

So... I am starting to create another additional "warning" text while those are in newstuff, similar to the xyz.terrywad.txt that I do now for those, (xyz.trapwarning.txt) but I'm not going to put them in a different directory than the usual. Several of them play normally up to a point, then you get perma-trapped and all that BS. I have a concern about the reaction to that sensory overload as a physical/psychological result, including but not limited to epileptic reactions, so this is a warning that people can heed or not. Actual text of the file:

NOTICE:

The .txt and .zip files with the same name as this file have a trap at the
end that is intended to lock up your game with loud continuous sounds and
graphic corruption of the visual walls, floors, etc. Although not intended
to actually damage your PC, you may end up having to power down to get out
of the level.

Because this is such a shocking transition from the rest of the level,
this message is here to warn people, as the effects could cause seizures in
those sensitive to that sort of stimulus. Please do not play the level
unless you accept this.

Play at your own risk.

Stephen312 said:

This wad could be moved to themes/terrywads.

Feel free to read the post a couple above yours about trapwads. It is not a terrywad.