Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Full list of Doom clones/similar games?

FireFish said:

Then i might have misinterpreted the word 'clone' in the topic title and many of the posts here. It might just be a personal taste where to me a doom clone is a game which attempts to be an exact rip-off of doom without ending up in a load of copyright infringement. Games like freedoom perhaps ?

I see what you mean, I didn't mean clone as a derogatory term, perhaps I should have called them "Doom inspired" games, but the term "Doom clone" has been around for so long that I figured a lot of people would know what I meant. :P

FireFish said:

Then i might have misinterpreted the word 'clone' in the topic title and many of the posts here. It might just be a personal taste where to me a doom clone is a game which attempts to be an exact rip-off of doom without ending up in a load of copyright infringement. Games like freedoom perhaps ?

Heh, you wish. If there were more such "Doom clones", the -gaming- world would be a better place.

Anyone else kinda feel bad about labeling these games "Doom Clones" When Kinda the First of these types of games were made before Doom was released Like Catacomb 3-D. So they shouldn't label these games after a game that really wasn't the Original game to start the genre.

StrifeB4D00M said:

Anyone else kinda feel bad about labeling these games "Doom Clones" When Kinda the First of these types of games were made before Doom was released Like Catacomb 3-D. So they shouldn't label these games after a game that really wasn't the Original game to start the genre.

Nah

I did recently found out about Alien Cabal. It's pretty much a shitty DOOM clone that had a Mapping thing as well, there's no music at all and It's literally just shit. Probably the shittiest DOOM clone I've played.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

Check out this playlist. There's a lot of obscure doom clones in there

I've heard of the Duke level packs and stuff, but I'll have to check these out. Did heard of the Quake II one though.

oh god... I remember picking up "Isle of the Dead" in a RadioShack bargain bin, and after playing Wolfenstein 3D and Blakestone (not that I was trying to compare it to DOOM because I was clearly able to distinguish it was going to look far more like wolf/blake just from the box pics), rushing home to play my sweet $5 find...

...and then really wanting back my $5.

It was an atrocious turd.

http://www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-isle-of-the-dead/

Buckshot said:

oh god... I remember picking up "Isle of the Dead" in a RadioShack bargain bin, and after playing Wolfenstein 3D and Blakestone (not that I was trying to compare it to DOOM because I was clearly able to distinguish it was going to look far more like wolf/blake just from the box pics), rushing home to play my sweet $5 find...

Oh God, Isle of The Dead, I remember looking at LGR reviewing It and I gotta say, the game seems headache Inducing but the Animations are Perfect.

Castle Master (1990), released on just about every home computer of the day, with the best two versions being the Atari ST and Amiga ports. It was made using the Freescape engine, which was capable of rendering environments in full 3D. Although it was mostly a 3D adventure game, the player also had to contend with energy sapping spirits which could only be dispatched with a well thrown rock. Classic.

Buckshot said:

Shit the bed, what a classic.

Haxc, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife are all made by ID Software, as well as chex quest.

Those are not clones of doom, but they run on the doom engine.

Enderkevin13 said:

Haxc, Heretic, Hexen, and Strife are all made by ID Software, as well as chex quest.

In fact, none of them was made by idSoftware. Hacx was made by Banjo Software, Heretic and Hexen by Raven Software, Strife by Rogue Entertainment, and Chex Quest by Digital Cafe.

scifista42 said:

In fact, none of them was made by idSoftware. Hacx was made by Banjo Software, Heretic and Hexen by Raven Software, Strife by Rogue Entertainment, and Chex Quest by Digital Cafe.

True, but Id Software was Involved with most of Heretic, having Romero as the Executive Producer and the Engine obviously by John Carmack, possibly the same with Hexen as well. As for Chex Quest, It wasn't made by Id Software.

Superluigieth1 said:

Half-Life 2,
Half-Life 2 Episode 1,
Half-Life 2 Episode 2,

Half-life 1 is the only One in HL Series inspired by DOOM, if you take it that way every FPS is inspired by DOOM :P .

In Pursuit of Greed is a Raven Engine game that I haven't seen mentioned here.

Edit: Also, Extreme Paintbrawl 2 is a thing.

Dr radinki said:

CHEX QUEST!

I guess that would count, but It was made on the DOOM engine, so I suppose It wouldn't.

Doomkid said:

I'm sure there are a lot of obscure titles out there, forgotten by most, that are just waiting to be found and enjoyed again.

Depth Dwellers, Extreme Paintbrawl, Isle of the Dead, Operation Bodycount

I think these ones need to be forgotten.

Also Quake 1 is probably the closest thing you can get to the original Doom as it's basically Doom's gameplay in 3D.

Doomkid said:

As we all know, there are a TON of Doom-like old games out there. I'd like to get a comprehensive list going. This isn't limited to games that use the actual Doom engine, just something similar. Anything that looks kinda-sorta Doomy.

I'm sure there are a lot of obscure titles out there, forgotten by most, that are just waiting to be found and enjoyed again. For the sake of clarity, lets keep this limited to games from 1999 or earlier.

Sorted by platform - If you see any mistakes, please tell me!

unnecessarily quoted large list removed

What about Zero Tolerance on the Sega?

I think it's a little strange to see wolf-clones and doom-clones in the same category, but who cares? THIS IS A AWESOME LIST! I played almost of these as a kid, except the RPGs and non-DOS ones. Even Virtuoso is here, OMG!

If you want a secondary kind of list, I made another type of categorization. It's a little subjective, but:

Spoiler

I tried to arrange some of them by appearance, map layout and even gameplay (NOT necessarily by engine or year). As I said, it's a subjective thing.

Wolf3d-Like:
---------------
Catacombs 3D
Catacombs Trilogy
Wolfenstein 3D
Spear of Destiny
Blake Stone
Planet Strike
Corridor 7
Isle of Dead
Ken's Labyrinth
Nitemare 3D
Operation Bodycount
H.U.R.L.

Doom-Like:
---------------
Ultimate Doom
Doom II
Final Doom
Hacx
Heretic
Hexen
Chex Quest
Dark Forces
Quiver
MARS 3D
Descent
Strife
Depth Dwellers
Rise of the Triad

Duke-Like:
---------------
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior
Blood
Tekwar
Redneck Rampage
Outlaws
PowerSlave
Witchaven

[EDIT] Hey Doomkid, check this out: I remembered two oldschool FPSs from my country, maybe fits in your list:

- The Varginha Incident (Incidente em Varginha)
- Hades 2

By the way, I think Hades 2 is a really cool game:

In Brazil we don't have many incentive to make games, so these guys were very brave at the time.

Edited by Noiser

Interesting, I was not aware of it because I don't know anyone who knows this game. If I'm not wrong, the company went bankrupt at some point, but I think it's great if worked at the time as a commercial product!

Noiser said:

By the way, I think Hades 2 is a really cool game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfWPG4TksLY

Looks good indeed. I like the simple but uncluttered HUD, how health pickups are additive so that you never waste health, and the thematic appearance and level design actually being decent. It also looks like they reused some metal tiles from Doom (SLIME14) and vent shaft entrance tiles from Duke3D, but maybe I'm wrong.

scifista42 said:

Looks good indeed. I like the simple but uncluttered HUD, how health pickups are additive so that you never waste health, and the thematic appearance and level design actually being decent. It also looks like they reused some metal tiles from Doom (SLIME14) and vent shaft entrance tiles from Duke3D, but maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah! The game have some failures (like the goofy allies), but as a whole I had a lot of fun playing it.

ducon said:

Great, edited.

Would Zero Tolerance on the Megadrive count as "Doom generation", or Wolfenstein? Most of the levels were maze-like, all-same-height affairs, though the second section (set in a building) had "slopes" and "ROR"... though only in very specific areas, and probably hacked/faked. It also had skies, though in most levels they could only be seen out of the window, not above you (except for two!)

It had some other interesting features, such as a "flashlight" (made the "panel" of wall in front of you fullbright), a gun with a laser sight, crab-like aliens that could walk on walls (and had the necessary sprite angles), blood that splatted on the walls and ran down, "destructible" walls (only some, they just changed like a switch texture) and a fire extinguisher "weapon" that only "killed" fires. There was also a fireproof suit that functioned like armour, but was only damaged by fires.

Ooooh... Thanks for the new titles, will have the list updated soon!

PlayerLin, that Taiwanese Mars game is pretty weird... It's like Doom, Duke, ROTT and general Chinese bootleggery got thrown into a blender.. It's actually pretty damn awesome!

Noiser, are The Varginha Incident and Hades 2 for PC or for DOS? Also, your take on this list is far better, sorting them by Wolf3d, Doom and Duke. Much more organized, I'll have to fix it up soon here.

I'm including Wolf3D clones as well, deathbringer - I figured the two were close enough that it wouldn't be worth dividing them.

Buckshot said:

oh god...

The game is so "good" that I spent 15 minutes a couple years back and learned the stupid riff from the first map.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o0Oh1V2T3Y

Such a dumb little series of beeps and boops, but it actually got stuck in my head. What a terrible game.

Doomkid said:

PlayerLin, that Taiwanese Mars game is pretty weird... It's like Doom, Duke, ROTT and general Chinese bootleggery got thrown into a blender.. It's actually pretty damn awesome!

Yeah, it's an awesome "mixed bag"... :p
But well, it wasn't too shitty TBH(I agreed with you), just so damn weird, and if you read my (shitty) translation text file, you will know the plot(and some of things) of this game was based on movies like The Terminator and Alien(EDIT:or Predator, not sure), made the whole game just looks like a joke for some reasons... :|

PS: I forgot modified my intro movie one's description(gameplay footage one was fixed) so it still say "an illegal DooM engine game", silly me. It actually NOT for sure, now fixed it. LOL