Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Full list of Doom clones/similar games?

I wish we had a special section for Doom clones (2.5d fps games). I think I had asked an admin about it at some point.

VGA said:

I wish we had a special section for Doom clones (2.5d fps games). I think I had asked an admin about it at some point.

I know, right? Love to have sections for Duke3D and Blood, I'd honestly think It could be a whole new sister forum honestly, but I'll go with your Idea for It.

Given the other games in Nomads post, I think 'Corridor 13' was probably a typo for 'Corridor 7'.

Although it is more wolfensteiny and RPGish, would pathways into darkness count? For Mac
Also there are many TCs for doom eg ghostbusters doom, army of darkness tc

poom for amiga
lol

- You've got Dark Forces in there twice (Dark Forces & Star Wars : Dark Forces)
- Quake & Jedi Knight : Dark Forces II should definitely be in there (1996 & 1997 respectively) (EDIT : I see we're avoiding Quake clones)
- Nerves of Steel (Done by Rainmaker, same company that did Ilse of the Dead) (Edit : Noticed Greyghost listed this. I actually (sadly) bought it when it came out. The box art was the best part)

Just want to clarify that Marathon and its successors were Mac-only games (well, 2 saw a Win95 port, but that doesn't count.) Same for Pathways Into Darkness, which is so Mac-only that even now you have to run a Mac emulator like Basilisk II to play it, else own a modern Mac and get it in the App store. (The Marathon trilogy at least has seen new life in the form of multi-platform Aleph One...)

As far as I know there are very few Mac-only FPS games besides Bungie's work. The only other game I could find that wasn't just a Wolf3D clone or a full-3D game is some ridiculous thing called Prime Target.

Also, if we're going to include the likes of Ken's Labyrinth, Isle of the Dead, Rise of the Triad, the first two Elder Scrolls games, and Nitemare 3D, we really should just go ahead and include Wolfenstein 3D in that list. Most of the games I list are not significantly different engine-wise from Wolfenstein.

I managed to run my Real Amiga 4000/PPC Config under WinUAE.

I've found this :)

/ =- G E N E T I C S P E C I E S -= \
A Highend AGA Doomgame Preview by aMBROSIa.
1x1 Pixels Resolution in 256 colours.
Released at the Gathering 2-6 April 1996
Code by: PowdiHacker Of Ambrosia.
Gfx by: Cain Of Ambrosia - Lava of SubAcid
and Shadow Walker/A!A Samples by Trayzor/A!A

hehe ... With 'stolen' weapons from Doom

Marty, is there any chance to see some gameplay video? I am curious about these weapons. For example: how is the shooting animation of the NOT-BFG 9000? :)

merlin86 said:

Marty, is there any chance to see some gameplay video? I am curious about these weapons. For example: how is the shooting animation of the NOT-BFG 9000? :)

I create later a Record Vid with winuae and upload this :)

I'm loving how there are multiple Radix mentions thus far. Hella underrated game, that.

It most definitely belongs in the list, I say. Sure, you're in a flying ship thing, but the gameplay feels so much more Doom-like IMO than most of what's on there. Is gud.

I wouldn't say that a 6DoF game can't be inspired by Doom. People even say that Descent is Doom but you fly. If Descent gets into the list I would say that game deserves it too.

But I should also point out the OP was last edited in 2014.

All the Doom clones that have ugly HUDs where you walk super slow through narrow corridors lack everything that makes doom fun.

It's almost like they were lazy and counting on the similar look to Doom to fool people into buying the game without realizing just how dull it is.

UNERXAi said:

Immoral Cumbat?

Well, that's hilariously coincidental, because I was about to post a playlist I have undoubtedly linked to before, which chronicles a great deal of first person shooters up until the last few years. Some of these go back to to the late 70s! Not all of them are shooters, really, but it's a great playlist because it covers numerous obscure shooters released during Doom's glory days. Immoral Cumbat can be found somewhere in there, and it's disturbing to say the least.

It's evident in this first video (which will open up the entire playlist via YT) that first person games suffered from a lack of recognition for years, due to the extremely primitive hardware.

You can skip to the 1992-1994 compilation here. Doom wipes the floor with everything, really, but there's some cool looking stuff buried in there that might be fun. Blake Stone was pretty rad back in the day.

Radix: Beyond the Void looked just enough like a Doom engine game that it fooled several people into hounding me enough to load up its EXE in IDA to make sure it wasn't based on Doom (it's not). I later read an interesting story from one of the developers at one point about how it was inspired by Doom and Descent though, and how they did the all the development in-house.