Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheCastle

I want to run this idea by you guys/gals.

You may know about UE4 being available and the announcement of UT4 being designed with a community mindset. I have been brain storming a bit of what kind of a project I would like to do for UT4 and something occurs to me. It would be pretty interesting to do a mod for it that pulls nearly all of its single player aspects from Doom 2.

* Monster archetypes and basic behaviors similar to Doom 2. (Imps, Demons, barons ect...)
* Find key open door game play.
* Open ended level designs with well planned layouts.
* Fast movement speed.
* Coop and single player support.
* Multiple difficulties.
* Hand placed monsters. (No spawn points or fancy triggered events)

Additional Idea
* A Left For Dead type of VS mode where one team takes control of the monsters and tries to stop the good guys.

Anyway, this is just an idea right now and I have no idea what to think of it. UT4 is in very early development at the moment as well so its hard to know what the weapons or pickups will be like. I very much like the idea of making a mod that very closely follows the enemy types and general flow of Doom 2 even if it would mean using Unreal weapons and locations.

Any thoughts?

A multiplayer game similar to L4D where there are a few marines and a bunch of player controlled-monsters is something I would definitely play.

EDIT: I realize you are talking about making a mod for a completely different game/engine, but AFAIK Doom doesn't have a multiplayer mod anything like this, and it would be awesome.

Would it utilize unreal tournaments resources? In my experience playing unreal, I've always wanted to like unreal but I've always had trouble using the weapons to the best of their ability. And with the latest games incorporating weird game modes, equipment and sci fi hover vehicles in the mix complicating it further.

from a visual standpoint, the best you can do to make this work successfully (and attract players like me who would want to play it) is make the bad guys look like bad guys, machine guns look like machine guns, fireballs look like fireballs etc.

KISS

keep it simple, stupid.

tomocean22 said:

A multiplayer game similar to L4D where there are a few marines and a bunch of player controlled-monsters is something I would definitely play.

EDIT: I realize you are talking about making a mod for a completely different game/engine, but AFAIK Doom doesn't have a multiplayer mod anything like this, and it would be awesome.

Well the main things I am interested in is the level design flow and the monster types.

The Left for Dead feels like a fairly fresh idea and I would like to see it in action for a game like Doom 2. Maybe it would work like one team can free camera float around the map as the marines push through the level. At any time the free floating team can take over any awake/active mobs they want at any time. So all of a sudden 2 or 3 Cacodemons are providing cover fire as a Baron closes in. LOL

40oz said:

Would it utilize unreal tournaments resources? In my experience playing unreal, I've always wanted to like unreal but I've always had trouble using the weapons to the best of their ability. And with the latest games incorporating weird game modes, equipment and sci fi hover vehicles in the mix complicating it further.

from a visual standpoint, the best you can do to make this work successfully (and attract players like me who would want to play it) is make the bad guys look like bad guys, machine guns look like machine guns, fireballs look like fireballs etc.

KISS

keep it simple, stupid.

In its current state the idea would just be a mod for UT4 with maps and enemies designed to flow like doom 2. Its not by any means a super over the top TC. In fact, I would classify it as being more of an experiment right now.

TheCastle said:

Maybe it would work like one team can free camera float around the map as the marines push through the level. At any time the free floating team can take over any awake/active mobs they want at any time. So all of a sudden 2 or 3 Cacodemons are providing cover fire as a Baron closes in. LOL

Look up the Master of Puppets mod for zdoom. It is basically that.

Inkie said:

Look up the Master of Puppets mod for zdoom. It is basically that.

Woah you are right, that's pretty much exactly the idea.

I have actually wanted someone to do this for a long time. It would be absolutely amazing and dooms enemies are perfect!

Everything is going to be open source for UE4 subscribers, isn't it? You could take much of the code and assets from UT4 and repurpose those to make a standalone game closer to Doom, regarding weapon behaviors and environments.

IMO, you might want to check out with Sahkan's Doom recreation for the Unity engine first (last known WIP), as well as the Doom Ascension resources, and try joining forces or at least reusing as much as possible from those projects.

I think that the biggest problem with all those "let's remake Doom in a modern engine" propositions are the resources, much more than the actual coding or engine customization: just getting a decent texture set or even a couple of monsters in is nothing short of a monumental task, at least for a single person.

Maes said:

IMO, you might want to check out with Sahkan's Doom recreation for the Unity engine first (last known WIP), as well as the Doom Ascension resources, and try joining forces or at least reusing as much as possible from those projects.

I think that the biggest problem with all those "let's remake Doom in a modern engine" propositions are the resources, much more than the actual coding or engine customization: just getting a decent texture set or even a couple of monsters in is nothing short of a monumental task, at least for a single person.

I absolutely agree with your assessment. My initial idea would be to simply grab community made doom assets and use them while keeping in mind that they are only meant as place holders. Maybe far down the road if things keep going it could be possible to get funding to pay character and environmental artists to make everything look super pretty.

I think that in the near future what i will do is outline a full mod GDD that makes use of diagrams then make it publicly visible off of Google docs for anyone to see and comment on. I think that will be the next step for me on this topic.

Why Unreal?

In a hypothetical situation I'd go with Doom 4 :] and you'd still have even more resources from Doom 3.

gemini09 said:

Why Unreal?

Exposure. Doom 4 is going to be a buy, play once, throw out kinda game in sure.

40oz said:

Exposure. Doom 4 is going to be a buy, play once, throw out kinda game in sure.

Honestly, I would want it to be exactly what I am describing in this thread, but actually based within the Doom universe...