Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pure Hellspawn

The Icon Of Sin Slanted

Recommended Posts

Anyone ever go up to an icon of sin wall and notice that some of the icon is pushed in? You can literally stand on those little edges and it makes the creature look weird from a close up perspective.

Share this post


Link to post

Well it is multiple sectors of different heights to create the large demon head, since one big texture wasn't an option as I understand.

Share this post


Link to post

textures couldn't be higher than 128 pixels tall. This is how they "cheat" that limitation.

Share this post


Link to post

As far as we could tell during the development of D2TWiD, it's the only instance in which vertices were snapped to a grid under 8x8 units in size, for both Doom and Doom 2.

Share this post


Link to post

There were more space-efficent methods of constructing the Icon of Sin, too, that wouldn't have that slope effect. They also screwed up a little on the original one. If you take a close look, one of the textures is mis-aligned.

Share this post


Link to post

You can actually stack multiple 2s linedefs on top of each other, and use offsets to change the position of the mid textures to make a seamless-looking icon. Quite sure that there's no tricks like that in doom2.wad though.

Share this post


Link to post
plums said:

You can actually stack multiple 2s linedefs on top of each other, and use offsets to change the position of the mid textures to make a seamless-looking icon. Quite sure that there's no tricks like that in doom2.wad though.


I've never thought of that for large textures, brilliant idea.

Share this post


Link to post
plums said:

You can actually stack multiple 2s linedefs on top of each other, and use offsets to change the position of the mid textures to make a seamless-looking icon. Quite sure that there's no tricks like that in doom2.wad though.

Won't it crash the game occasionally? Also modern editors like Doom Builder will make that job harder.

Share this post


Link to post
printz said:

Won't it crash the game occasionally? Also modern editors like Doom Builder will make that job harder.


Never heard of it causing crashes, but I couldn't say for certain.

DB does make it harder, the best way I've found to stack linedefs is to make triangles that share two end vertices, and then delete the middle vertex, making sure merge geometry is off. Best done as the last step in a map, lest you get some automatic merging anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Pure Hellspawn said:

Anyone ever go up to an icon of sin wall and notice that some of the icon is pushed in? You can literally stand on those little edges and it makes the creature look weird from a close up perspective.


Yeah, that's what makes Tyson possible on Map 30 of Doom 2, as you can stand on the ledge in front of the brain and shoot through with a pistol.

Share this post


Link to post
4shockblast said:

Yeah, that's what makes Tyson possible on Map 30 of Doom 2, as you can stand on the ledge in front of the brain and shoot through with a pistol.

^^^^ Why DWF needs a "like" button on posts. People forget these things too quickly ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×