Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carny Goat

Doom IV Expectations

As the title implies, I'd like to know, even what the veterans got on this one. I preordered Wolfenstein: The New Order just to get my hands on the Beta if and when it arrives. But since this is Bethesda we are talking about, I'm not holding my breath, and I'm certainly not exploding with hype right now.

(I know blowing sixty right now on a game with barely any news on it is foolish. Could turn out to be another dud, but nothing else had tempted my hand that it's gotten pretty bad right now with the PC market, and I was feeling pretty impulsive after going on a 5 day trip to help move my mother-in-law south.)

So, if anyone would like to share what they'd expect out of this, maybe we might have something in common, future predictions may or may not come true. My opinion is this maybe the last of id Software published. Bethesda sits on acquisitions and I felt it was pretty bad for John to sell out to them.. Doom has been a truly inspiring FPS.

I'll have to see Wolfenstein to form an opinion. Maybe it will be like Wolfenstein, but with Demons? Unfortunately if both use the same engine, it won't be quite a good analogy with the Wolf3D/Doom 1 succession.

I predict Doom will follow almost no design (or even moral) choices that made the original Doom a success. They've already abandoned a bunch of valuable business practices that ID used back when they created Doom.

For example, Doom had a free shareware episode that allowed singleplayer or 4-player cooperative and death-match right up through the first nine levels, and you were allowed to distribute this as much as you wanted for free, without breaching fair-use 117. To get THIS Doom sample, you gotta buy Wolfenstein: The New Order. That is some EA-level shit right there, and I doubt there will be a proper demo coming afterward.

I think the new Doom will either flop horribly, or be a passable and forgettable game experience. I have no faith in Bethesda to deliver a quality product anymore, especially not one with the legendary reputation of Doom.

Either way, unless they deliver something amazing to the end-user, it will tarnish the reputation of Doom by double-meaning. Finding anything old-Doom related is going to become a shit ton more difficult after they release a new Doom game named exactly the same as the original.

I wonder how id will react if they get a lot of negative feedback after the beta is released. Will they scrap the project yet again, or try to fix whatever can be addressed between now and the time of release? In either case, it's stupidly shady to package a demo in a game they can only be accessed not only through a preorder, but with a code that will be given out who-knows-when, with the official FAQ blatantly informing you that there is utterly no public information about said demo. It's insulting on a pretty deep level.

I try to remember id for what they WERE back in the 90's - mid 2000's. They've since lost most of their original staff and spirit and I doubt we will see another good Doom game ever again. Really hurts because id was my favorite video game company of all time and I was so optimistic to play every game they put forth - until the disaster that was RAGE.

Yeah what the hell happen with Rage. I was playing a little the other night but I quit because of the constant texture loading.

I'm not all that excited for Doom IV to be honest, but I am interested in seeing what the new ID Tech V engine will look like for Doom IV.

Supplesnap said:

I predict Doom will follow almost no design (or even moral) choices that made the original Doom a success. They've already abandoned a bunch of valuable business practices that ID used back when they created Doom.

For example, Doom had a free shareware episode that allowed singleplayer or 4-player cooperative and death-match right up through the first nine levels, and you were allowed to distribute this as much as you wanted for free, without breaching fair-use 117. To get THIS Doom sample, you gotta buy Wolfenstein: The New Order. That is some EA-level shit right there, and I doubt there will be a proper demo coming afterward.

I'm sure you're right about this. The Shareware era is sorely missed. If you get a Doom demo for Xbox 360, you can play hangar, and nothing more. Fucking greed.

Supplesnap said:

I think the new Doom will either flop horribly, or be a passable and forgettable game experience. I have no faith in Bethesda to deliver a quality product anymore, especially not one with the legendary reputation of Doom.

If the way Elderscrolls Online turned out is any sort of clue what they've set their standards to, you're probably right yet again. Sadly..

Supplesnap said:

Either way, unless they deliver something amazing to the end-user, it will tarnish the reputation of Doom by double-meaning. Finding anything old-Doom related is going to become a shit ton more difficult after they release a new Doom game named exactly the same as the original.

I honestly think, if it's as bad as we all think it's going to be, that those Google results will be washed away in one year, tops. Old Doom isn't going anywhere, don't worry about that.

AS much as I've said "Doom 3 is cool but doesn't feel like Doom", I have this creeping feeling that D3 is still going to be awesome compared to D4. All my hope is lost, especially with all this company shifting and lawsuits and reboots and yadda yadda. D4 = Doom's DNF. I'm predicting it here and now.

I dont want to stress myself too much thinking when it's going to be launched. When it's done its done and I hope it doesn't fail, that is my only wish.

Another thread that gives people an opportunity to repost all of their obvious, 'enlightened' comments about how id is dead and DOOM 4 will suck. Nice. No, I really mean it. It's not like I've heard those opinions a bazillion freaking times already.

Touchdown said:

Another thread that gives people an opportunity to repost all of their obvious, 'enlightened' comments about how id is dead and DOOM 4 will suck. Nice. No, I really mean it. It's not like I've heard those opinions a bazillion freaking times already.

Well what use is there to keep complaining about it?

If someone starts a thread about Doom 4, then sorry, I'm adding my two cents. We're a passionate bunch and id's been teasing us for six years. I think it's understandable that we keep bringing it up.

Touchdown said:

A COMPREHENSIVE STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE FOR DEALING WITH THREADS THAT ANNOY YOU

Step 1: Ignore the thread.

Step 2:

printz said:

I'll have to see Wolfenstein to form an opinion. Maybe it will be like Wolfenstein, but with Demons? Unfortunately if both use the same engine, it won't be quite a good analogy with the Wolf3D/Doom 1 succession.

Is Wolfenstien even ID and not Ravensoft?

Extremely skeptical, my gut says it will be average or even substandard.

They could easily make DOOM a great classic throw back. Mortal Kombat 9 is a prime example of not trying to fix what wasn't broken, and Boon pulled it off flawlessly. I hope that with a shred of luck maybe the new ID can pull it off, hopefully.

Avoozl said:

Well what use is there to keep complaining about it?

EXACTLY! What use is there to keep complaining about it?

GoatLord said:

If someone starts a thread about Doom 4, then sorry, I'm adding my two cents. We're a passionate bunch and id's been teasing us for six years. I think it's understandable that we keep bringing it up.

There's adding two cents and there's sounding like a broken record. And I've heard this one for years. Someone makes the same exact thread for the 100th time, people are posting the same exact sentences for the 100th time. You can't tell me that makes any sense.

geo said:

Is Wolfenstien even ID and not Ravensoft?

Thankfully not Ravensoft. It's Game Machines or Machine Games, however that company is called. But thankfully not Raven. Those people seem like they always make unoriginal second-grade games. You know which Wolfenstein I'm talking about who's made by Machine Games, do you? It's definitely not the Thule one, because I'm not comparing idTech 4 with idTech 5.

Touchdown said:

I guess one can say that Kevin Cloud and Tim Willits keep the id spirit alive. Hope is still up, though they still seem like just a wing of a bigger company now…

Turns out, when DOOM IV releases, it's ridiculously awesome. Enough to make any DOOM fan's panties wet.

Doominator2 said:

Are we still talking about Doom IV? Ha, where I'm from Doom V is the shit, Ya!

Oh Lord of the future, please bestow upon us simpletons the fate of Doom 4. How much ass did it blow??

RUSH said:

Oh Lord of the future, please bestow upon us simpletons the fate of Doom 4. How much ass did it blow??

More like How much ass did it SUCK....

I might preorder Wolfenstein, I watched the trailer and it looked pretty good. But I'm sort of in the middle with DOOM IV. I mean if I'm correct almost just about all the original id Software crew is gone. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.

RUSH said:

Only time will tell.

Touchdown said:

There's adding two cents and there's sounding like a broken record.

If they would tell us.... Anything at all about Doom 4, it wouldn't just be repetitive lip service. We speculate because that's literally all there is at this point.

Things also change over time, crazy as that sounds. Before, it was "Doom 3 didn't blow me away, so I don't think Doom 4 will either". Now, it's "Fuck those greedy dickheads for suing Carmack, TESO sucked dick, AND they haven't released a shred of information about it". There are more factors to be considered now which could easily sway someone who was unsure before.

I can't wait til they release that gameplay footage that proves us all wrong. Which we've been waiting for for almost 10 years now. I wonder why some people are growing a little worried and impatient?

I expect a point and click, story based game along the lines of the Walking Dead comic game. There will be a real sense of dread as you can be killed off in most any enemy encounter unless you think of combining two silly things like a phone and a pillow makes a BFG.

Fox is about to try it with Ripley's daughter. The Bioshock studio cut everyone but 15 people to make story based click games. It seems like all the rave now. Doom 4 will capitalize on it to maximize money.

An entire 'level' can be an imp stalking a weaponless Doomguy.

It took me a good several days to get back to this thread. I read through all the replies and I can say I share the same emotions and feelings as the common vibe going on here. But, I must digress. I feel a certain anger towards id Software and business associates. Sure, they where legends back in their day, but today, they sold out their souls. Just like any other private gaming company of the modern times.

My faith is in this community. The survivors and soldiers of UAC, who fought through Phobos, Deimos, Mars, Earth, and Hell alike. Modders, Speedrunners, Hunting Parties, Rocket Jumpers, and Fellow Gamers. Together, there is no force to stop us from criticizing, judging, and issuing an honest, and highly experienced opinion that would shake the foundation of First Person Shooter history in the making. If Doom IV is the final wave. Stick it to them..

The future may look bleak, but someday, it maybe this community and it's people who will give Doom a better name and game in the series. There's enough creative energies and support to manifest a new Doom game that would dwarf anything released in the past two decades.

That thought alone gives me some degree of happiness.