Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nicktacular

Your most memorable Doom moment!

I want to know what is YOUR most memorable Doom moment?

Mine would have to be growing up and being absolutely terrified of Doom 3. I wouldn't even get past the first mission as a kid, but now being able to beat the game for the first time made my inner child high-five itself. PRETTY FREAKIN AWESOME!

This was discussed before, but I'll say something, when I wasted my last bullet out of all the ammunition at a cyberdemon and it died with the last shot.
Wanna see the demo? (Zdoom)

Being scared as FUCK of the Doom bunny when I was about 7 years old. Either that, or discovering Doom Connector and WadAuthor when I was 9 (Thanks to 'Doom Rampage', the creator of the notorious DRE, oddly enough.)

When trying to find the legendary black chainsaw as a kid or meeting barons of hell in e1m8 for the first time

Beating my first ever slaughter map in Doom, as of the most recent memorable Doom moment I can think of.

Thanks mouldy's "The Seventh Circle" for that!

Playing registered Doom, Heretic and Doom2 for the first time in 2005 after beating the shareware episodes multiple times for like 7 years. Times like playing through E2 in Doom and Heretic are something very memorable.

Switching from the SNES version of Doom to the PC version. Blew my mind as it was x100 better in every conceivable way. Needless to say I'm still hooked 20 years later.

As far as PC memories go, Halls Of The Damned was pretty scary back then. I think everyone can agree how terrifying Barons of Hell and Cyberdemons/Spider Demons were at first encounter (Especially when you were young.)

Games in general seemed a lot more mysterious without the ability to instantly Google everything. Kids at school would always make up things like "The final boss of Doom is a giant scorpion!!" or some shit. Of course there was no way to know for sure. A lot of that mystique is gone from modern games now which is too bad.

There are a lot of memorable doom moments for me, like beating for the first time a Cyberdemon in E2M8, or playing E3M8 for the first time (that music rocks!).

A more recent thing (tough this was years ago) is probably beating DTINV10 of Alpha-Delta invasion for skulltag with no help of other players

When I managed to beat E4M2 on UV -fast from pistol start for the very first time. It took me so many times that when I finally reached the exit button I stopped in front of it with my heart pounding due to emotions. I pressed it once I calmed down. One of the best gaming experiences in my life, not just in Doom.

RUSH said:

Games in general seemed a lot more mysterious without the ability to instantly Google everything. Kids at school would always make up things like "The final boss of Doom is a giant scorpion!!" or some shit. Of course there was no way to know for sure. A lot of that mystique is gone from modern games now which is too bad.

QFT.

I remember when the only inside knowledge we had about a game was whatever we read in a video game magazine or if your older brother, or a friend, had already beaten the game. You were, like you said, entirely at their mercy regarding the accuracy of their information. On one hand, I miss that. On the other hand, there've been more than a couple games that needed a serious dose of Googlefu to keep the frustration factor to a minimum.

Getting the E1M8 straferun skip
Pistol-starting E4M2 against my will and then realizing it isn't that hard
Witnessing how 2 hardcore Doomers stole the show on the final day at Quakecon last year.

Zdaemon multiplayer a few years ago with somebody i know called
animegod4all on zd. hundreds of players compared to now, and in most fights he was always on nr1 and i on nr2 at the end of the FFA's.

kind of funny, because now the last spot is always reserved for me.

I remember me and my friends decided to play the game on co op on nightmare. So every few seconds we would pause the game and take out are notebook and make a tactical plan.

My favorite moment of doom was touching the game and playing it for the first time. From that point on with the doom trilogy and the massive plethora of doom wads out there, I knew I could have infinite fun!

You did it!
By turning the evil
of the horrors of hell
in upon itself
you have destroyed the power of
the demons.
Their dreadful invasion
has been stopped cold!
Now you can retire to
a lifetime of frivolity,
Congratulations!

Beating DOOM, DOOM 2, TNT and Plutonia (secret levels and all) on UV with no cheating. Felt like the end of a journey, but a good one!

Most memorable moment was playing it for the very first time and being overwhelmed and in shock, it was E1M3 August 1994.

After that, the most memorable moment after playing it for the first time was when I got DOOM II and played it the first day. I IDKFA'ed to get the shotgun not knowing about the new weapon. I pressed number 2 expecting the pump shotgun and got instead a double barreled shotgun!!!

I was like "Wow, Holy Fuck what is this a new Shotgun."

I pressed the the fire button: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! HUGE pellet spread, two imps and one zombie man taken down!!! "Ho-ly Fuck!!"
"He even breaks the barrels and shoves in two shells with a gloved hand!!"

I remember it like it was yesterday, it was November 1994, level 1 of DOOM II in the green armor room. I would fire the SSG and pause and study each frame of loading the SSG. I can take out a fucking demon or spectre in one hit from this mother!

This game couldn't get any better!

drifter20k said:

[good times]

Now I want to erase all my Doom knowledge and travel back to 1994.

Now I want a mod that has Doomguy tear the weapons apart and put them back together again to reload.

EDIT: "Rip and mend! Rip and mend! Rip and mend your ammo in!!!"

Guest Unregistered account

Well, I'm 12 so I guess if I left this game for, say, ten years and came back to it as an adult, rediscovering everything and, even better, remembering something, would be a -fantastic- nostalgia trip for me.
That said, I do get nostalgia every now and then when I remember back to when I was, what, four? And me and my younger sisters would crowd around the moniter watching our dad play.

So many memories.

Most of them are slightly warped, for example I don't remember a Cyberdemon in Tricks and Traps' Baron room (I remember he would just get out a chainsaw after grabbing the Invulnerability Sphere and say, "It saves ammo!" before plunging the toothed tool into one).

Ok, be prepared. I'm about to go over a nukage pitfull of memories.

I remember a level where my dad would go onto a platform and Plasma Rifle some Barons. From there on, the newly-discovered Plasma Rifle would be my favourite weapon.

... Until I saw... The BFG. Honestly, I'm suprised there aren't more memories posted here linked to finding it.
Anyway, I saw him use it and thought it was so cool, so he let me take over and I just stood there, firing the the two shots it had left into a gate (I now recognize the level as The Inmost Dens. Then I'd tell Dad and he'd just say, "Oh well."

From there on, whenever I saw a cell I'd tell him to pick it up; so he could use the BFG again.

I remember him fighting a Cacodemon. It turned around and fled into a teleporter. He took it and reappeared outside, near some kind of petrol station(?)
He then announced "Damn, he's run away". The music was the softer part of The Demon's Dead.

I remember him letting me play. It was The Pit. I seem to remember the central cross as a slope, and I thought I kept sliding off.

I remember him fighting an ArchVile. He was in a room, fighting it from behind bars.

And, finally... I remember him playing The Spirit World. I remember the floor cracks and everything. When he reached the bit where you drop down by the Spider Mastermind pit, I noticed he was badly hurt. He dropped down onto glowing rock, and... that's where it ended. He then paused it; he got up, and went to get a drink of tea or something. He never played it since. And so ended my four year-old memories of the game.

That's sweet Joe, I hope my son Dylan so fondly clings to his early memories of playing Doom with me.

My own oldest (and I suppose therefore most memorable) Doom memories are:

Running through the maze in E1M4 with a rocket launcher and killing myself when firing it at a demon from close range. This was on a store demo and the very first time I played the game so I didn't know about splash damage. I remember thinking it that the person playing before me must have been a real arsehole for leaving the game with that weapon out in such a cramped area!

Next the first thing I remember when I owned the game and played it the first time was looking from the window in the start room and taking pot shots at the monsters in the zig zag slime room. I was convinced it wouldn't register my shots from such range and when it did I wondered how great it would be to play death match.

The first time I played Doom II was on a store display too. My friend was with me and he dared me to run into the dark passage on the Waste Tunnels. I did and was promptly shredded by imps, much to his amusement.

My first memory of death match was trying to kill my buddy with a RL running ever closer to him until smashing him point blank. I couldn't understand why I died but he never until he mentioned he had the invulnerability sphere.

For editing my first experiences where with WADED. We never did proper mapping just taking turns with a pal replacing the things in Entryway and Underhalls. My first attempt was a fail, I tried to freak him out by filling the first corridor with hanging bodies but selected blocking ones so he couldn't get through!

I'm hazy about the first PWAD I played as it would have been something rubbish from a D!Zone compilation But one that stands out took place on a wooden ship with what seemed like a cool room over room trick.

When I first got onto Doomworld it was after a long hiatus from the game and I returned to it trying to make a TC. I still thought it was an achievement to make a level resembling the technical prowess of the IWAD maps and being amazed by source port effects and PWADs like 10 Sectors.

I remember being quite excited to be able to play the full version of Ultimate Doom for the first time. Plus, when I managed to find a copy of Doom 2 + Final Doom, me and my brother played a far bit of co-op.

I also remember being quite upset that I saved the game right as there was a fireball about to hit and kill me. :P

Running through TUD for the first time and finishing it, albeit not finding all the secrets or all the extra levels.

playing the shareware episode a few years ago. i was like 2 when doom first came out so i only played it a few years ago. i was looking for a good game to play and someone on a forum suggested it. it's amazing how great it was and the end of the episode really surprised me.