Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scalliano

Threshold Of Pain: Special Edition

Don't get too excited (as if! :P), this isn't Threshold II.

What it is, however, is a cosmetic upgrade of the first installment. In light of a number of advancements in the (G)ZDoom engine which ToPII makes use of, for the purposes of consistency it seemed only right to backport them into the original, all with the sole intention of making the mod a bit more Playstation-y. So that'll be the subtractive blending, then.

What is also included is a host of bugfixes that never made the first cut, so it's not a complete waste of your time.

The reason I'm doing this is because Threshold II's development is into the business end with only a few maps left to finish, Also, this has been something I've wanted to do for a while, so it seems fitting that I post this as a warm-up to the main event due in (hopefully) a few months' time.

A few screenies:

And, of course, the download link:
https://www.mediafire.com/?ex8fpgt95x1kvxf

Have fun retreading old ground!

I've never seen Threshold Of Pain before (and never was much familiar with PSX Doom), so I've taken this Special Edition as an opportunity. Played just a couple levels yet. I can tell you, I'm really impressed by the design and atmosphere, highlighted by effects unusual in PC Doom. You've created something great and I will gladly check it throughout.

Cool, I always kind of...forgot..to play this. Now there's an even better version for me!

EDIT: Oh god, 40mbs. This will take forever!

Ah, er, yes. Forgot to post a "lite" version like before. I'll get on that later ...

scalliano said:

No, you need as recent a development version as you can get. I'm on 1.8.9999.0.

I'm glad you linked to that because I was having issues with starting it up with GZDoom 1.8.2.

Anyways, I loved ToP when it first came out, and I'm sure I will enjoy a second play through with the special edition.

Happy near-birthday to me (literally)! Thanks, scalliano!

Eris Falling said:

For the record, the most recent official version of GZDoom is 1.8.6

Funny. I didnt even notice this when I linked my friend to GZDoom the other day for Hexen.

Ragnor said:

Funny. I didnt even notice this when I linked my friend to GZDoom the other day for Hexen.

Graf has had server issues or something since 1.8.3, so they're not listed on the main site.
I've been keeping the Doom wiki's GZDoom/Date and GZDoom/Version updated, though maybe a temporary addition of the link to those forum threads would be of use..

FreddBoy said:

Will ToP work with GZDOOM 1.8.6, or will I need the dev version 1.8.9999.0?

Should do.

Cool, I've download the original but only ran a short ways through MAP01 to make sure it worked properly. I'll have to check this out.

Actually, I just finished MAP01 and I like it. Very cool.

I've played through completely. Once again I have to say that the mod managed to be really impressive, all the time. I've enjoyed the atmosphere, coloured lighting and unified design philosophy. Leveldesign was on a very mature level and it was fun to explore the maps. The penultimate level was gigantic, but that more I was satisfied when I had beaten it. Hectebuses were really harmless without support, as they never hit you when you stay in place. The only annoyance for me were the occassional invisible nightmare imps, fortunately they appeared just a couple times. Awesome work, scalliano! Good luck with TOP2, I'm already looking forward to it.

These are the master levels.

Each map is large, even huge, on a near-epic scale but never grows tedious or tiresome. Better yet, they are filled to the brim with classic implementation of colored lighting and atmosphere. Enemy placements and grouping mechanics manage to be faithful to the PSX while putting the old combat dynamic on its ear. The dual scrolling skies you implemented give Hell an even greater depth and immersion than I've experienced in a long time. Although I was jarred by some of the enemy inclusions (strictly as a departure from the PSX version I love so much), it actually adds a pleasant fullness to the bestiary without feeling contrived or overused. In a word, it feels organic. As though this could have been what the PSX release was like if it had a greater amount of RAM and CPU capacity. Perhaps the element that grabbed my attention the most was the seamless transition from Triton Anomaly to Hell itself. I don't think I've seen that executed so deftly (even Doom 3 comes second with its heavier-handed approach). I wish that the original IWADs had accomplished this so convincingly.

Golf. Clap.

Job said:

These are the master levels...

...I wish that the original IWADs had accomplished this so convincingly.

Golf. Clap.

Personally, I'd love to see this (with perhaps TOP 2?) converted into a full blown IWAD so that others could easily make PWAD's for it. It would be great to have more maps to play in this style that's for sure!

I'm only halfway through the WAD, but such fantastic work! Doom 64 styled maps with PSX Doom aesthetics and sounds make for a wonderful combination. The red door twist in Triton Anomaly was brilliant, and I love how the maps actually try to reflect their titles, with the toxic and water pools in Recycling Plant and the windowed labs in Triton Lab. I'm looking forward to the sequel, I just hope the secret levels aren't all homages (?) to other levels!

Job said:

In a word, it feels organic. As though this could have been what the PSX release was like if it had a greater amount of RAM and CPU capacity.

I felt similarly. With the added elements from PSX Doom, as well as some completely new content and features, Threshold of Pain is about as close to a genuine Doom III as it gets. (I know there was Doom 64, but with the reduction in enemy types, it didn't feel like a complete progression from Doom II.)