Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellKnight2012

Gzdoom openGL error

I downloaded the latest build for Gzdoom. Now I get a Fatal Error on startup:

Unsupported OpenGL version
At least GL 2.0 is required to run Gzdoom.

Any help solving this issue would be appreciated.

HellKnight2012 said:

Windows XP and Intel chipset.

Can someone tell me what the Glew32.dll file is? Iv'e never seen that in previous donwloads.

That's a GL library, but don't bother with it. You downloaded a compiled executable already so you're past this problem. In fact, ignore the guide as it's meant for linux.

I also have an intel GPU, but it works fine on Windows. Which card exactly do you have? Go to your device manager (I believe you can access it by right-clicking "my computer", selecting "properties" and it will be somewhere there, haven't used XP in quite some time so I might be wrong) and tell me the exact model.

Also, have you updated your drivers? It worked for me as far as Windows is concerned.

Relevant (from DRD)

Graf Zahl wrote:
Please note that I changed the setup of GZDoom to require GLEW from now on. At least version 1.10 is required to get support for GL 4.4 features.

This has a few implications:

1. Without setting up GLEW in CMake you won't be able to build an executable anymore.
2. GLEW.dll must be distributed with GZDoom.exe
3. All pre GL 2.0 support has been removed.

The reason for this is that I plan to use a few GL 4.x features on modern hardware and supporting them with the manual extension mechanism is quite annoying.
GL 1.x support was removed because this only concerns some old Intel integrated chipsets, everything else this old should have been vanished by now. But this support makes it far more problematic to add code to support mode modern features.

There may be a few more upcoming changes affecting older hardware. As it currently stands, the existing vertex buffer support only has a positive effect on GL 4.x cards, so improving its usability by requiring some 4.x features seems a good idea. Of course this means that some of it won't be usable anymore on older hardware, but since it doesn't provide any benefit there I don't consider it a problem.

Graf Zahl wrote:
The minimum required version is 2.0, it previously was 1.3.
For full feature support 3.0 is needed, for older hardware some fallback options are in place.

Unsupported features on 2.x are:

- brightmaps
- real texture warping - it will use the software method of altering the texture image
- full screen colormap effects - a limited fallback option is in place but it looks different
- some limitations of dynamic lights
- desaturated light settings are ignored
- subtractive blending of sprites is limited in foggy areas

Any further feature removal is not expected for the foreseeable future. It'd only make sense once GL 4.x reaches a market share where everything else becomes irrelevant.

I did some research regarding this G33/G31 chip and there seems to be no way to implement OpenGL 2.0 features via drivers or other means. Certainly not on Windows as even the solution I found regarding my Intel GMA 3150 seems to be for Linux only.

Therefore, HellKnight2012, it seems you're stuck with two options:

1. Use normal Zdoom
2. Use a computer with a more modern graphics card (basically, avoid Intel chips)

Patrol1985 said:

(basically, avoid Intel chips)

Excellent advice for graphics cards in laptops, desktops, whatever. Other chipsets and companies may have their flaws but Intel graphics chips are just awful, no exceptions that I am aware of.

I really wish that something could be done to make them support things properly. However, there are plenty of people out there who don't need/care abut accelerated graphics so getting a laptop (in particular) or desktop cheaply, with a crippled Intel graphics chip in it, is fine by them. This, however, means that the market is flooded with machines that have shit, semi-functional graphics capabilities. The number of times I've been asked to source a "decent but cheap" machine for someone who wants to do at least some gaming but then had to discard most of the possibilities because of the Intel chip simply isn't funny.

If you plan on doing any gaming, when buying/specifying a machine, make sure that you find out what the graphics chip is and, if it is an Intel one, buy something else instead. Even if it costs you a little more, you won't regret it.

Enjay said:

Other chipsets and companies may have their flaws but Intel graphics chips are just awful, no exceptions that I am aware of.

Exactly. I assume most people think the way I did before I had an opportunity to try an Intel GPU first-hand. The way of thinking goes along the line of: "Sure, it's worse so it will probably just work slower than an nVidia / ATI chip". Sadly, that's a flawed premise. The problem isn't worse performance, the problem is that for some unexplained reason Intel's chips don't support many modern features AT ALL and by "modern" I mean standards which are often 5-10 years old. OpenGL 2.0 was released in 2004. Therefore, assuming HellKnight's PC was "new" those 7 years ago, it still didn't follow standards set 3 years before!

Intel GPU often doesn't "work slower". It simply doesn't work at all. Avoid it at all cost if you can.

Yeah, Intel graphics sucks.

If it wasn't for Intel I could have even dropped the GL 2.0 support without worrying too much.

Patrol1985 said:
[B
Therefore, HellKnight2012, it seems you're stuck with two options:

1. Use normal Zdoom
2. Use a computer with a more modern graphics card (basically, avoid Intel chips) [/B]

That's sad. I'm having the same issue here, so it means I'll have to stick with GZDoom 1.9 from now on...

I believe there are doom players that don't play any modern games, so don't have a need to upgrade their pcs (well at least that's my case).

I didn't mind it until I watched Dime streaming some of my maps yesterday, and the Door_Raise action didn't work. I don't know which GZDoom version he was using, but I can't even test it. It doesn't happen in any of my GZDoom versions, so I assume he was using a recent one.

Darch said:

I believe there are doom players that don't play any modern games, so don't have a need to upgrade their pcs (well at least that's my case).

That may be the case, but I have to think about those who want to push the engine to its limits. OpenGL1.x has so many limitations that they make it close to impossible to write code that works well on 4.x and 1.x.

Also, let's be clear about it: Any GL 1.1 hardware will have serious issues running a larger limit removing map at acceptable frame rates.

So even 'players who don't play any modern games' will benefit somewhat from newer hardware. (I still got a 10 year old spare computer lying around which is equipped with a Geforce 6800 and it makes any somewhat larger level choke on < 30 fps and that one's most likely still faster than any GL 1.x compatible Intel graphics chip.)

In addition, NVidia hardware has been GL 2.0 compatible since 2004, so has ATI. Only Intel missed that.

So out of curiosity, what kind of system do you have?

Oh I could reproduce the Door_Raise bug playing under Doom (strict) compatibility mode. Maybe it's something to check, why some doors (usually bigger ones) won't raise in this mode.

This is a bit off topic, but anyone knows if I can "force" compatibility mode, same way you can force lightmode in MAPINFO?

Graf Zahl said:

That may be the case, but I have to think about those who want to push the engine to its limits.
So out of curiosity, what kind of system do you have?

I see. I found this about my system (Intel indeed):

Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver Report

Driver Version: 8.14.10.1930
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate* , Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601)
DirectX* Version: 11.0
Physical Memory: 4083 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 256 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 196 MB
Processor: Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel
Processor Speed: 2933 MHZ

Darch said:

This is a bit off topic, but anyone knows if I can "force" compatibility mode, same way you can force lightmode in MAPINFO?

You can force certain compatibility options in MAPINFO, I don't know if what you need is one of them. Really though, people shouldn't be using Doom (strict) on maps that are made for ZDoom, that's just dumb :P

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Compatibility_options

Darch said:

Indeed there are. However, such people, by not updating, are also restricting themselves to mods for Doom that run on their current hardware. That's fine, and their choice, but others should not be restricted as a result.

Regardless of where you draw you own personal line in the sand, the Doom port and mod scene moves on and you will thereby be left unable to play some of the newer mods if you decide to keep running on older hardware. If port authors restricted themselves to targeting hardware that could only run doom.exe (the ultimate extension of your point) then the modern ports, and the mods for them, simply wouldn't exist.

Also, if someone decides to not upgrade their hardware for whatever reason, the software that they are running doesn't vanish. They don't lose anything they had. They just don't get access to some of the newer options; just like when any piece of software changes its hardware requirements.

plums said:

You can force certain compatibility options in MAPINFO, I don't know if what you need is one of them. Really though, people shouldn't be using Doom (strict) on maps that are made for ZDoom, that's just dumb :P

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Compatibility_options

This isn't about compatibility settings but the simple fact that his system only supports OpenGL 1.4 while GZDoom requires GL 2.0. No amount of tweaking can change that. The engine simply doesn't start if the GL version is less than 2.0.

Which, seeing his specs is really a shame. Even an entry level graphics card would increase hardware accelerated graphics by a factor of at least 2 or 3, if not more, and allow to play a lot more stuff, let alone keeping the system viable for a lot more years to come.

This part is unrelated to rendering:

Darch said:

I didn't mind it until I watched Dime streaming some of my maps yesterday, and the Door_Raise action didn't work.