Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boingo

Are there any free voxel editors that go larger than 128 x 128?

I have been playing around with voxels a bit. The editor I am using now, Magicavoxel, is free and works fairly well, but has a maximum object size of 127 x 127 voxels.

Is anyone aware of a free voxel editor with an object size bigger than this?

Argh! I've tried Slab6, and it was positively terrible! It was trying to find something better than Slab6 that led me to start working with Magicavoxel.

I dunno, Paint 3D maybe? I haven't used it in the longest time so I don't remember what sizes it supports. What I do remember, though, is that it was a very nice utility to use.

Sodaholic said:

I dunno, Paint 3D maybe? I haven't used it in the longest time so I don't remember what sizes it supports.

Not free, but not expensive either. According to the Performance FAQ, on 64bit Windows it will support a voxel matrix up to 1024x1024x512 (2GB hard limit).

I've still yet to try it out (got a bit burned out on the whole voxel thing lately), but someone recommended I check out Magicavoxel. Dunno what sizes it supports, but at least it looks like it's free.

From the MagicaVoxel site:

import : it may be different from the original model, such as :
1) model size that is greater than the maximum edit size in MagicaVoxel will be clamped to currently 126^3

DooMAD said:

I've still yet to try it out (got a bit burned out on the whole voxel thing lately), but someone recommended I check out Magicavoxel. Dunno what sizes it supports, but at least it looks like it's free.

Glad to see you are still around.

Your voxel test map is fantastic.
Do you, by any chance, have voxels for the SkullKeys?

Kappes Buur said:

Glad to see you are still around.

Your voxel test map is fantastic.
Do you, by any chance, have voxels for the SkullKeys?

Cheers, although with regard to the 'map' part, I can only take credit for the big square bit. All the parts that look more like an actual map and the coding to make the switches function is all Exl's fine work.

I attempted a red skullkey, but then thought it looked a bit squished and I couldn't be bothered starting from scratch again: http://www.teamhellspawn.com/redskull.zip (unfinished)

DooMAD said:

If you check out above, you will see that it is magicavoxel I am using. It is the one with the size limit.

Not so much an editor as a converter, though the 1024^3 size limit is nice and models that size are probably easier to work with in a polygon editor.

Hi GreyGhost, Exactly, im testing with Google Sketchup i made some posts with pictures, im getting easy and better and better results with voxel converting from 3d warehouse. Have a milions of free royalties objects.

I choose a object from 3d warehouse and after loads i export to .3ds. The best models to convert should have nice textures to you get better results. If model has only color, i think the result is not good...

In my experiences using poly2vox 'unlimited' with /v512 option for small and medium objects and /1024 for large objects for example big bridges and buildings.

The file sizes is arround 760 kb per object or less in /v512 mode

in /1024 the size is heavy, about 2 mb or more , depends os object. But is nice, easy and fast to make a great scene/map for modern doom mods.