Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Althalus

Polybump?

I wouldn't say that the models are on par with models in DOOM, but the technology definetly seems similar...

Have you guys ever seen the XIsle demo ? Ok, nothing very special, but some cool effects...large Outdoor areas with big dinosaurs, realtime shadows and some reflection and refraction stuff.

IMO they made a good Site relaunch, I've waited a long time for some updates....too bad that they haven't any downloads any longer. I hoped for a new Engine demo.

Cool thing about the 3DSMAX plugin....I'm waiting :)

Well it's not magic afterall. It's not like the rest of the gaming industry can't do this stuff. In a few year it won't be about the features, but its ease-to-use, general flexibility and performance.

http://www.doomworld.com/demise/shit/ - WOO!!!

I remember reading somewhere that UT and Q3 were supposed to the be the first games to support bump maps, but the feature would only work on S3 cards. I read this a year before the games were supposed to be released though.

Zoost said:

Well, this guy implemented the (john Carmack algorithm?) stencil shadows in quake (1).

http://users.pandora.be/hollemeersch/blackrose/tenebrae/index.htm

I must say it ads a nice feel to the maps. (The shadows are really well implemented !)

It's a small download; so help yourself

Well, I got the shadows to work, but ummm, why does the game look like shit and where's the water?

I find it entertaining that what is considered a "low-poly model" today would have, back in the day, made a graphics card go nuclear.

IMJack said:

I find it entertaining that what is considered a "low-poly model" today would have, back in the day, made a graphics card go nuclear.

/me remebers his old computer
I could hardly handle Half-Life...now...I can play Quake 3 and Serious Sam : The Second Encounter über-fast!

I know that, just thought it was appropriete to show a live demo of something like that in work. There are better ones online that actually demonstrate it better because their bump heights are set higher.

How many pics does that use? A skull has way too steep angles, you need both a bumpmap and a displacement map.

that one uses one, I had one that used 2 images, one grayscale for the bump map and the other for the colors, I'll try and make a better example with that one tomorrow, now I'm going to sleep. =P

Bummers, if it used 2 it would be the 2D equivalent of what Carmack's doing.

dsm said:

Well, I got the shadows to work, but ummm, why does the game look like shit and where's the water?

Try the included and adjusted map E1M1 and use the VisPatch 1.2 for the water or set (like it says on his site) -If you dont want/have water vissed maps use "gl_watershaders 0" in the console.

Put your resolution up to 800x600; and I think you must agree with me that this guy did a rather good job.

Zaldron said:

How shit? I can't try it myself right now.

Uhh, it's hard to explain, but water surfaces are non-existent, certain walls kinda flicker, way too many pitch black areas (and I MEAN pitch black) and some of the shadowy areas shift whenever you move.

DSM, you should go back in time and read my reply that was my answer to your question (and answer to Z.) .... ahh never mind. Just try playing E1M1.

Zaldron just have a look at the screenshot page of the site I mentioned.

Zoost said:

Try the included and adjusted map E1M1 and use the VisPatch 1.2 for the water or set (like it says on his site) -If you dont want/have water vissed maps use "gl_watershaders 0" in the console.

Put your resolution up to 800x600; and I think you must agree with me that this guy did a rather good job.

First problem: I can't access the vispatch (says file not found) so I can't download it.
Second problem: when I type "gl_watershaders 0" in the console it just says "unknown command".
Third problem: It says that I can only change the resolution in the command line with '-width (width)' and '-bbs (bbs)', but I've tried these commands both in the console and in Quake's autoexec.cfg file - none of 'em work.

So, what to do?

DSM, the -Width command is correct, but it's not bbs, it's bbp.
That might work. I think I'll take a look at this tho. But not now. Late :)

No actually, if I remember correctly, it's not -width, it's -Height...I think...I haven't bothered with GLquake for a while..

Hmm, I just downloaded two of the files, it's a pity all of the vis patches don't seem to be available any more, Qrally, Qzone and standard quake levels all updated for this, would of been interesting. Heh, I also forgot that in a massive rush to retreive lost Hard drive space, I deleted quake :D. Good move me ;)..ah well.
Have to find the CD now :|

Actually, it's 'bpp' - bits-per-pixel and it still doesn't work.
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I already have a version of glquake installed.

Uh, I installed Quake, downloaded the files, downloaded the vis patches, played it, and it seemed to work fine, albeit slow as shit on my TNT2. Only problem is that not all of the shadows looked right -- especially on the monsters, a lot of the shadows had that problem where they're flush with the surface they're covering, and the lit-up surface beneath shows up in a random pattern through the shadow.

Well, one of my problems is that the vis patches aren't available anymore.
I'll try reinstalling Quake and see if that works - when I feel like it.

I have no problem with the really cool shadows in Quake 3, the cg_shadows 3 thingy, or whatever. They look great!

Zoost : the screenshot look right so I guess they're out of the picture when it comes to dsm's problem.

cg_shadows 3 is horrible. When it comes to planar projections of polys, Lithtech, believe it or not, always had the advantage. Back from the Shogo days.

cg_shadows 3 look too dark and sharp if you ask me, but it's better than those round blobs underneath your character.

dsm said:

First problem: I can't access the vispatch (says file not found) so I can't download it.
Second problem: when I type "gl_watershaders 0" in the console it just says "unknown command".
Third problem: It says that I can only change the resolution in the command line with '-width (width)' and '-bbs (bbs)', but I've tried these commands both in the console and in Quake's autoexec.cfg file - none of 'em work.

So, what to do?

Do this:

1) look for id1.zip on fileplanet
2) put gl_watershaders "0" in config.cfg in your tenebrae folder
3) ..QUAKE1\tenebrae.exe -game tenebrae -width 800 -height 600 -bpp 32

And by the way there is no water in E1M1, so problem 1 and 2 (and also 3) are no reason to claim any problems and not to say .. hey kinda cool...

Success