Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

PSX Doom Custom Music Series

After playing scalliano's Threshold of Pain recently, I got inspired by the atmosphere and music. It brought back a lot of memories of both PSX Doom games, particularly the Master Levels (and a little Quake, NIN and Silent Hill). I wanted to dust off my sound editing software and try making something to help capture the mood of similar levels (like Subspace).

Track 1.) Space

Track 2.) Mechanical Canto 1

Track 3.) The Descent

As I continue making more tracks, I will post them here. With all the interest in PSX Doom-styled levels, it might even fit in some existing or new content that's yet to come.

Alternate Track Purgatory

By "Subspace" are you referring to Aubrey's unused track made for that level, Darker than Blackness?

Interesting. I quite like the static/lo fi sounds you've got there. The mixing of the baby cry's a little rough though. Maybe a bit lower in the mix?

Looking forward to more though. Do you intend to make a full WAD out of these? :)

Ragnor said:

By "Subspace" are you referring to Aubrey's unused track made for that level, Darker than Blackness?

I'm only familiar with the track released with the official version of the game. I'll have to check it out.

Average said:

Interesting. I quite like the static/lo fi sounds you've got there. The mixing of the baby cry's a little rough though. Maybe a bit lower in the mix?

Looking forward to more though. Do you intend to make a full WAD out of these? :)

Thanks for the feedback! TBH, I wasn't sure about the way the cries were implemented. I may change that later on and release an alternate version. If all goes well, I'd like to refine my approach and release many more - possibly a WAD's worth.

The second track is pretty eerie up until the baby cries, which don't really sound like an actual baby. It sounds more like some kid going "uuhh waaa, ooaaah" to annoy someone. It's honestly kind of hilarious.

Your comment actually made me smirk. The more I think about it, the more I think that may not have been a good fit. Today, I'll probably update that track!

Based on the feedback I got, I changed the "Purgatory" track. Although I may try something with more wailing in it later on, I'm shelving the track for now. It's still located in my second post but has been removed from the OP. Here's the new track, which has had the dynamics altered with the inclusion of further layering:

PSX Mechanical Canto 1

These are pretty awesome, especially the first track of the lot. Somehow they make me think more along the lines of D64 than PSX Doom, though.

First track made me think Diablo 1. Second and third one, Dead Space. All good stuff.

I'd love to hear about your composing process, too.

MFG38 said:

These are pretty awesome, especially the first track of the lot. Somehow they make me think more along the lines of D64 than PSX Doom, though.

You make a fair point. I suppose the initial inspiration was to try and build on PSX Doom's excellent soundtrack, but my compositions deviated away, during the organic process of creation. It's just one of those self-derailing things. But back to your point. For some people, using PSX Doom as a label is sort of a catch-all for dark, ambient music styles used in Doom (something I'm guilty of).

Phml said:

First track made me think Diablo 1. Second and third one, Dead Space. All good stuff.

I'd love to hear about your composing process, too.

Interesting! Diablo 1 definitely had some good ambient music - sort of in the same vein as the first Legacy of Kain (no pun intended). Dead Space was a game I enjoyed as well, so it's not impossible that influences from any of these games might sneak in here and there.

I'll create some more tracks first, then I'd be happy to talk about how I compose them. Like I mentioned earlier in the post, it's sort of an organic process and you keep shaping the sound, like clay, until you're satisfied with the result. Sometimes, you come back to it, though, and find ways to refine it further or deal with some blemish. The important thing for me is to make sure all the sound and sampling isn't synthesized, but actual audio clips from things as mundane to machinery, to voices and all the way up to recordings from space voyages and anything in between.

Sounds like fun and interesting to use when it is complete, I love the PSX Doom soundtrack due to its eerieness and atmosphere.

I had a free moment tonight, so I worked on another one. Because I wanted to try something slightly different, I introduced a little instrumental character into this track. Right now, I consider it a WIP, if only because I'm unsure whether the piano notes make the tone too...humanized, for lack of a better word.

PSX The Descent

Currently in the planning stages for the next track. The goal is to make a slight departure/evolution from the current theme. Stay tuned to find out.

It sounds like poorly-tuned equipment picking up television movie broadcasts, and honestly I really, really like the piano notes.

Thanks for the feedback! Believe it or not, that's what I was shooting for. It was tailored for a (night?) tech level and uses transmissions from Titan as one of the layers. I'm glad you agree on the use of piano - I was initially on the fence about it.