Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FireFish

Best way to teleport monsters ?

What would be the best way to make some monsters teleport into a room from somewhere isolated ?

This is to learn about a way which is fail safe and leaves behind as little as possible. so if 3 monsters would TP most of the time they Will TP or at maximum one would bug out.

Check out Doom's E3M5. There's a monster teleporter design similar to your idea. That's been done in several maps before.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean making sure all of them teleport, without fearing one might not, meaning the player will not be able to reach 100% kills, for example? If that's the case, I think that maybe if you make their "isolated rooms" as little as possible, so any significant move they make will cause them to teleport. Also, make sure all of them awake properly when you want it.

For the first two suggestions :
A : I will check that doom map later on the day.
B : i will experiment with a tiny sector later on.

thank you.

FireFish said:

For the first two suggestions :
A : I will check that doom map later on the day.

Also, it's near the map's exit. You can't miss it.

First, I avoid teleporting monsters into the room the player is within.
Instead, I teleport them to a nearby room and pretend they came from somewhere.
A teleport that the player can see needs a teleport mechanism to fit into the story. Teleport niches or some big teleport mechanism.
But, many mappers see it only as a device to attack the player with, and I do not enjoy those maps with naked monster teleports as much.

To make it reliable:
1. The source room (with the teleport line) needs to have the teleport line on the side towards the player position.
2. Put two or more teleport lines in for more reliability.
3. Put in separate teleport lines and teleport destinations for each monster.
4. If they share teleport lines or destinations then have a last teleport line in the part of the room nearest to the player position,
to catch the leftover monsters.
5. If you use Boom teleport lines then make the destination teleport line longer than the source line.

wesleyjohnson said:

A teleport that the player can see needs a teleport mechanism to fit into the story. Teleport niches or some big teleport mechanism.

Interesting philosophy. I'm not sure I'd tie myself to those rules but It's cool nonetheless. Are you weird about making the teleport far enough from the player that they don't hear it?

wesleyjohnson said:

But, many mappers see it only as a device to attack the player with, and I do not enjoy those maps with naked monster teleports as much.

To make it reliable:
1. The source room (with the teleport line) needs to have the teleport line on the side towards the player position.
2. Put two or more teleport lines in for more reliability.
3. Put in separate teleport lines and teleport destinations for each monster.
4. If they share teleport lines or destinations then have a last teleport line in the part of the room nearest to the player position,
to catch the leftover monsters.
5. If you use Boom teleport lines then make the destination teleport line longer than the source line.

To add to 2 and 3 above, I will sometimes use as many as 6 monster teleport lines in a monster closet. once I release them they will go to each of the 6 destinations if the other destinations are blocked momentarily. I always add a final teleport line at the very front of the monster closet to teleport them to the back of the closet if they somehow managed to get past the other lines without teleporting because it could take awhile for them to move back away from the player once they are moving towards him.

Searcher said:

I always add a final teleport line at the very front of the monster closet to teleport them to the back of the closet if they somehow managed to get past the other lines without teleporting because it could take awhile for them to move back away from the player once they are moving towards him.

Heh, that's pretty neat, although I'm not sure if it's necessary. I usually use the old chevron trick I learned on these forums a while back. Basically, it virtually guarantees that any last monsters will eventually teleport, as long as they keep moving.

instant teleporter box:
-create a sector (1) exactly the size of chosen enemy
-place enemy in sector.
-create another sector (2) around sector (1). This sector must be large enough so the enemy can walk across teleport line-def.
-make sector 2 share sector with 'battle sector' so the enemy will be awoken by player gunshots.
-face sector 1 line-defs towards enemy.
-create teleport destination and function linked to sector 1.

the trick:
-create 'trap' line-def. link it to sector 1. make its function say (raise ceiling to highest ceiling).
-lower sector 1 ceiling 'a notch' lower than enemy's height so enemy is both 'awake' and 'stuck'

Result: when player shoots in 'battle sector' (linked to sector 2) it will wake the enemy. Then when player walks across 'trap' sector 1 ceiling will raise allowing enemy to instantly move/teleport.

TLDR: make an instant teleport box by surrounding a single enemy with a box of teleport lines, then clamp them down with a ceiling. make the trap raise the ceiling. make sure the enemy has been awoken.

(liquid) floor raise ambush variation: This trick also works good for enemy snipers on high ground. Flying monsters must be deaf.
-replace 'trap' function with (raise to next highest floor)
-instead of lowering sector 1 ceiling 1 notch, lower the floor like 6 or 8 notches.

Result: when player walks across trap enemies raise out of the (liquid) floor.

Egregor said:

(liquid)

or you could unapologetically raise them out of solid concrete floors, come at me!

bonus points for 'lower to highest floor' insta-popping.

Egregor said:

instant teleporter box:
-create a sector (1) exactly the size of chosen enemy

Why? Only the center of the object needs to pass the teleporter line.

Works all the time.

Ribbiks said:

or you could unapologetically raise them out of solid concrete floors, come at me!

bonus points for 'lower to highest floor' insta-popping.

This situation always amused me. In most games, when an enemy spawns right in front of the player without any special effects, it looks cheap as butt. But when you do an "instant popping" in a custom Doom map, everybody's happy, because it's such a 1337 trick. :)

hmm, i guess i might just as well pick a favourite out of these after i toyed with them in a future mapping session.