Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pure Hellspawn

Son of Assistant Director Of The Hunger Games Kills 7 Cause He Can't Get Girls

fraggle said:

Few people seem to be paying any attention to the fact that he was taking Xanax as an anti-depressant, which apparently can have some nasty side effects.

You do know the American way is to medicate someone, instead of dealing with the underlying problem. Even if if the medication can have incredibility negative side effects, right?

If anything this whole mess is another example of how the Mental Health Care system in the US is broken.

I'd really like to know how many of the perpetrators of these kind of massacres are on psych drugs that can have these kind of side effects. For example, Eric Harris (Columbine) was on Luvox which has similar effects.

I understand that there can be some nasty side effects to some antidepressants, but what's the alternative? Leave the person untreated, which can be just as bad? Unfortunately, our understanding of mental illness is... well, lacking, so our options are limited. Over time, perhaps we as we gain more understanding, we'll be able to develop better treatments, but for now we can only work with the tools we have.

And don't misunderstand, it's not that I'm completely against the idea of therapy as treatment for mental illness, it's just that the brain is a bit less malleable than we sometimes assume - and we have less control over our thoughts sometimes than we'd like to admit. Just think of the brain like any other organ - if, say, you suffer a leg injury, meditation might help relieve some of the stress and pain, but if the injury is bad enough, that might not be enough.

fraggle said:

I'd really like to know how many of the perpetrators of these kind of massacres are on psych drugs that can have these kind of side effects. For example, Eric Harris (Columbine) was on Luvox which has similar effects.

Don't blame pharmacy, that's the thing which tries to fix you when you're broken down. It's not always possible.

fraggle said:

Damnit. That's scary, and people are evil, if medicines which turn people into monsters are legal and recommended.

The other course of action is to forbid guns from such patients, but that's physically impossible to guarantee.

I think there was some document somewhere in the net that listed them and if they used anything. I think most of them had used something.

Probably most doctors will tell you to eat some drugs, if you tell them you're not feeling ok in the head. It's possible to say no and still get help for the problems.

My thoughts are that the treatments might go faster with the drugs, but the end results may be better without them. Maybe it will take more effort from the doctors, nurses, and self.

Having someone to talk to helps quite a lot... And having a pet animal can speed up the healing process. Maybe having plants/garden is also sort of similar to having a pet. And doing lots of physical exercise is a good way to forget all the crap in life.

Jimi said:

I think there was some document somewhere in the net that listed them and if they used anything. I think most of them had used something.

Yeah, right, who would have thought that a bunch of nutcases would be, you know, treated like that? Maybe their parents noticed their kids are freaks and wanted to unfreak them, thus medication, little did they know their little freaks will remain freaks until buried six feet deep. Correlation =/= causation.

geo said:

Bare no. But every reality show and entertainment news broadcast is just all boobs.

I think you're exaggerating. Even certain forms of cleavage/side boob are banned from US broadcast tv. This season of Survivor and Big Brother had some pretty hot scenes, but if there's a show that's "just all boobs" then please tell me.

Arguing that, "Crazy people take drugs, therefore drugs make people crazy," is like arguing, "Some cancer patients who use chemotherapy die, therefore it was the chemotherapy that killed them." Look, I understand the reservations against using drugs, but what exactly do you propose? Talking people out of their problems? See, the problem with mental illness is how it twists your thinking - so that normal, rational logic doesn't make sense to the person with the illness. Talking can help, but you've got to get to a state wherein the talking actually makes sense, first.

geekmarine said:

"Some cancer patients who use chemotherapy die, therefore it was the chemotherapy that killed them."

This is not the best example to use in this situation. Chemotherapy could be more lethal then the cancer in many cases. it is a poisonous radioactive substance literally destroying your entire body in the hopes the cancer dies before you do.

In case of drugs to heal the severely mentally sick they should globally re-view this entire ordeal. just cramming high doses of pills into somebody without doing enough research to make sure it will not produce the negative and opposite result should be avoided.

Nobody is the same, every brain, every DNA strain, every cell in all of our bodies are different by means of natural and normal processes. I do not believe that every psychoactive drug will work as well and as good for everybody. People seem to forget more and more that Humans are all unique up to a certain degree.

Except they don't just pump you full of random pills and see what happens. What exactly do you think is going on in our mental healthcare system? In fact, it's the exact opposite - too often doctors are afraid to prescribe anything, or do so in such low doses as to not really have an effect, which results in the problem going untreated until something bad happens.

Let me put it this way. It seems that our greatest fear in the mental healthcare industry is overmedication. You constantly hear bitching and hand-wringing over it, "OMG, so many people are on so many drugs, and it's terrible... for some reason." I understand the concerns about overmedication, but in real life, in practice, how many people do you know with mental illness who are overmedicated and are showing negative symptoms from that? If you can point to examples of overmedication, I'll be happy to listen, but in my experience, both in my personal life and in the news, it seems the bigger problems always seem to stem from a LACK of medication. Whether it's me trying to control a kid who's flipping out and smashing up a classroom or it's some nut who decides to go on a shooting spree, how often do we find out they were supposed to be on some medication that they had just arbitrarily decided to stop taking?

And look - again, I get it, I'm trying to be understanding of the other side here, but if your natural ground state is to smash up a classroom or go on a shooting rampage, you know, that to me suggests you need a little more than sitting in a room and talking to a stranger for a couple of hours.

geekmarine said:

if your natural ground state is to smash up a classroom or go on a shooting rampage, you know, that to me suggests you need a little more than sitting in a room and talking to a stranger for a couple of hours.

sorry, but i just cant hold this joke in anymore :
Tell that to any active military force on the planet doing more then idling in their base until needed for self defense on home ground.

On a serious note :
I understand your point to the fullest, but i think the deal with over-medication coming up in this thread is more about the fact that many people on those drugs are sometimes better of without, without being related to murderers and psychopaths (people without empathy).
If you have a malfunction from birth its is undeniable it might provide great help.

But some of these berserking kids are just helpless souls for whom nobody did more then leading them into depressions with bullying and social rejecting based on pure appearance and status. Thus they could have been perfectly functioning people before they underwent all of that. Which could be stopped long before any medication would be needed.