Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tylerisepic1

"My House" Community Project

Recommended Posts

Houses tend to have cramped rooms, overlapping floors, uninteresting structure and (gameplay-wise) "useless" decorations, which doesn't transfer well into good Doom leveldesign. On the other hand, if the rooms were purposefully made wider and comfortable to move in, and otherwise altered, playability could benefit from it. If the purpose was merely to show people's houses, without taking the gameplay into account, then it's of course unnecessary.

I don't feel like mapping my house right now. I doubt I would manage it realistically enough, and good looking / well playable enough at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post

Lol i'd be in :D already got a map to contribute. Cool that my wad created that idea.

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

Houses tend to have cramped rooms, overlapping floors, uninteresting structure and (gameplay-wise) "useless" decorations, which doesn't transfer well into good Doom leveldesign. On the other hand, if the rooms were purposefully made wider and comfortable to move in, and otherwise altered, playability could benefit from it. If the purpose was merely to show people's houses, without taking the gameplay into account, then it's of course unnecessary.

I don't feel like mapping my house right now. I doubt I would manage it realistically enough, and good looking / well playable enough at the same time.


You could try, it's great fun. My map dosen't look too realistic either for example furniture is mainly just brown blocks etc.

Share this post


Link to post

I actually always had a thing for house maps, even if they are just the architecture without enemies.
I hope this project succeeds, I'd really love a handful of such maps.

I could offer to contribute but...I kind of live in a small apartment with white walls and not much furniture, and I don't think a white box is very much up to standards. I'd have to make one up.

Share this post


Link to post

I think this is a hilarious idea, when I get the chance, I'll submit a "huge" version of my house like some of those 1995 wads on the archive. It will be great for deathmatch!

Share this post


Link to post
hetdegon said:

I could offer to contribute but...I kind of live in a small apartment with white walls and not much furniture, and I don't think a white box is very much up to standards. I'd have to make one up.


Super size your house! Make yourself the size of a mouse or something!

Share this post


Link to post

This thread inspired me to start attempting a map of my own house. I've never actually made a map before (though I've played around with DB2 a bit) so this could be interesting...

Share this post


Link to post

Will "dream homes" be accepted if our own are too pokey and/or uninteresting?

scifista42 said:

overlapping floors

Not a problem with 3D floors, though my house is single level, so that's not an issue unless someone wants to play hide-n-seek in the crawlspace underneath.

Share this post


Link to post
Tylerisepic1 said:

I think that dream homes should be accepted, and this shouldn't just be a "my house" thing, how about just "houses?"

I dream to live in a techbase, perhaps this is the right way to go with the design. :) (well, no)

Share this post


Link to post

I might loosely design a level around the rough layout of either my apartment or the entire floor, upscaled for playability.

Share this post


Link to post
Salt-Man Z said:

This thread inspired me to start attempting a map of my own house. I've never actually made a map before (though I've played around with DB2 a bit) so this could be interesting...


Do it! It's awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
hetdegon said:

I could offer to contribute but...I kind of live in a small apartment with white walls and not much furniture, and I don't think a white box is very much up to standards. I'd have to make one up.

If all else fails, check out some real estate websites. Many of them provide floor plans (some with room dimensions) as well as plenty of photos.

Share this post


Link to post

I may attempt mapping my house but make it flow better for DM (or leave it as is for D2M1 style game play). We can call the project "Homes under the shotgun".

Share this post


Link to post
Salt-Man Z said:

This thread inspired me to start attempting a map of my own house. I've never actually made a map before (though I've played around with DB2 a bit) so this could be interesting...


Also if you want to learn the basics of good mapping check out chubzdoomer doombuilder tutorials on youtube, they are pretty neat, covers all the basics. That's where I learned mapping. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVOa33akx3Q It's doom builder 1 but the basics are pretty much same in 2.

Share this post


Link to post

http://saltmanz.com/files/Doom/SMZHOUSE-20140526.WAD

If anyone wants to look at this WIP first-time map (BOOM format) and give some feedback, that would be wonderful. You're looking at a couple of nights of work. It's in BOOM format solely because I plan on using silent teleporters to work around the overlapping floors. (Upstairs and ground level will be built together, going down the basement stairs will teleport to the rest of the map.) Lighting levels were only tested in GZDoom so far. The family room is pretty much done. The laundry room is very much WIP. Player start is temporarily in the kitchen/dining room area, which hasn't been touched yet. I threw some monsters in to see how the layouts would play.

Here's a very early screenshot. (Naturally, I started with the desk and computer I was working at.)

Share this post


Link to post

I'm also using silent teleporters for the staircase and i use zdoom doom in hexen format wich imo is much more advanced, you can also work with slopes for the furniture etc. Anway nice map for a beginner so far. Here's my completed house map https://www.dropbox.com/s/qi55t09dtvf0j15/HOD.zip some feedback also would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm suggesting we don't put up submissions yet because if we're going to make this a sp megawad then i'd have to put in monsters and change some stuff. On the other hand maybe it's ok to see what people have done so far.

Share this post


Link to post

Damn just realized if we are making this a megawad i'd have to change all my texture names so they don't replace the originals.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm interested in this!

I might finish the map I started making of the farmhouse I lived in in Norfolk, England - a scant couple of days before we moved to Australia. ;P

Share this post


Link to post
Salt-Man Z said:

http://saltmanz.com/files/Doom/SMZHOUSE-20140526.WAD

If anyone wants to look at this WIP first-time map (BOOM format) and give some feedback, that would be wonderful. You're looking at a couple of nights of work. It's in BOOM format solely because I plan on using silent teleporters to work around the overlapping floors. (Upstairs and ground level will be built together, going down the basement stairs will teleport to the rest of the map.) Lighting levels were only tested in GZDoom so far. The family room is pretty much done. The laundry room is very much WIP. Player start is temporarily in the kitchen/dining room area, which hasn't been touched yet. I threw some monsters in to see how the layouts would play.

Here's a very early screenshot. (Naturally, I started with the desk and computer I was working at.)

http://saltmanz.com/files/Doom/SMZhouse01.png

Nice part of a house, obviously it needs finishing. Windows are bugged in software renderer, they show a HOM effect (Hall Of Mirrors, a display bug). Be careful about balancing gameplay, hell knights would be too tedious or even impossible to fight without the secret SSG, or at least a regular shotgun. It wasn't as uncomfortable to move in as I've expected, and many texture choices and details were actually pretty. Interesting style. There's definitely a potential for a good map.

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

Nice part of a house, obviously it needs finishing. Windows are bugged in software renderer, they show a HOM effect (Hall Of Mirrors, a display bug). Be careful about balancing gameplay, hell knights would be too tedious or even impossible to fight without the secret SSG, or at least a regular shotgun. It wasn't as uncomfortable to move in as I've expected, and many texture choices and details were actually pretty. Interesting style. There's definitely a potential for a good map.

Thanks! Yeah, the monsters and weapons will get completely overhauled once the entire map is finished (or close to finished.) I initially had a SG up in the kitchen, but found it more interesting to have to steal one from a sergeant. (And of course, the basement will likely be the middle third of the gameplay sequence, anyway.) And thanks for the tip on the window HOMs; I think I know what the problem is there, and will try fixing it tonight.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×