Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Problems with disconnections from Doomworld [happening again]

Sometimes I experience that I can't visit the Doomworld (and forum) website for a short time. From my computer it seems like if Doomworld was down. Including /idgames and other DW pages. I experience it more and more often in present days. Last time it has happened half an hour ago. I wrote a post and tried to send it, but couldn't, and Doomworld seemed like down for me for about 20 or 25 minutes. Just Doomworld - my internet and other websites worked fine. Also I've seen that in the meantime, people posted on the forums, so it's most likely a problem on my side. Is it, or it might not, and anyway, what exactly can it be? Perhaps something unusual happens with the server while it's night in America? (I live in Europe.)

I got the same problem sometimes, especially the last few weeks it occured quite often. I've no clue what's causing this, but im European too.

Same here, sometimes AtomicGamer also goes offline so I doubt we're the only ones suffering.

i have another problem and that is related to the flash based commercials on the front page crashing flash player on firefox making doomworld a slug.

Maybe the servers are acting up ?

The disconnection has just happened to me again, this time it lasted for only about a minute, which is not bad at all.

tourniquet said:

especially the last few weeks it occured quite often.

This - I agree. I've rarely experienced such a thing before.

FireFish said:

i have another problem and that is related to the flash based commercials on the front page crashing flash player on firefox making doomworld a slug.

The people to complain to about that are probably googleadservices.com, though I prefer to make it a non-issue by blocking the ads. When did you last update your Flash player?

It should be the latest version possible, but i will not make an isseu about that. It is indeed not doomworld its fault, as it seems to be one particular add doing this while all the rest shows without problems.

In the mean while i gave doomworld some possible clicks by clicking on ever add possible while testing. :)

I'm having problems trying to reach anything Doomworld-related as well (in US time) during certain time intervals. glad to know I'm not the only one around the world experiencing this issue. also I've checked all my browsers when I can and also my tablet and phone; during the "down times", no Doomworld page appears.

i've had my desktop load an extra few seconds more than other sites, with "Resolving Host" being mentioned in the lower-left corner of Chrome. my school netbook seems to suffer no such problems. Doomworld sometimes doesn't really wanna respond either for me.

It's been a little while since I've had the connection problem with DW. It's definitely something I've been seeing for years, though.

Lately my main issue is it doesn't remember my login if I turn off Firefox. This is only site with that issue. Perhaps I should try it with Chrome.

Aliotroph? said:

Lately my main issue is it doesn't remember my login if I turn off Firefox.

If you mean "not automatically enter my login details", check that you haven't set an exception for Doomworld.

I mean the site used to treat me like I had a login cookie it remembered and now it forces me to login every time I restart my browser.

As for things like automatically filling in the form, I never touch those settings. I see Firefox is storing userid and password cookies for DW alongside all the threadview cookies.

Aliotroph? said:

I mean the site used to treat me like I had a login cookie it remembered and now it forces me to login every time I restart my browser.

As for things like automatically filling in the form, I never touch those settings. I see Firefox is storing userid and password cookies for DW alongside all the threadview cookies.

Still sounds like you have a password exception set, have you checked Options/Security/(Passwords)Exceptions?

it's happened again.

8:51 EDT: tried logging into Doomworld, waited very long and the browser said it couldn't show the webpage.
tried again at 8:56 EDT and it eventually popped up after a minute and a half of waiting.

I've even had connection problems just trying to type this post. seriously.

GreyGhost said:

Still sounds like you have a password exception set, have you checked Options/Security/(Passwords)Exceptions?

I don't have that password feature turned on in any of my browsers.

Firefox wasn't saving my login cookies for some reason. They generally expire after a year, but they were getting reset every time I closed Firefox. It just started working again for no reason. I looked at all the settings, but I haven't changed anything yet.

I should have clarified this hasn't happened in Chrome or IE (IE was just for testing). Firefox was just being glitchy it seems.

Ok, it should definitely be something with the doomworld server. I now am experiencing the exact same for the last two days, namely the fact that doomworld does not appear to exist for any web browser for short periods of time.

You know, I didn't even notice it happening until I read this thread. Now that I have, I've noticed it twice. Once the other day (forget when), and once earlier this evening.

CorSair said:

DW seems to jam for a half minute, and then produces this on main page. Does that time to time.

The same thing just happened to me at my end just now.

BUMP

For the past 5 months, the issue didn't occur to me anymore - but since yesterday, it has returned. Once again I experience up to 30-minutes long disconnections.

Is there any apparent reason why did the problem return just now?

The forum was unreachable yesterday, actually i think the website was down as a whole...
Things happen, it is not the end of the world.

It's been a while since I've experienced it, but it happened to me shortly yesterday and it's all been back to normal since last night. I wonder why other people are experiencing it worse.

I had this problem myself last night. Took several minutes for the site to load, after telling me several times in a row the site could not be found. But it appears to be fixed now.

Doom Dude and I couldn't reach DW in the morning. I don't know how long it lasted because I was busy being distracted by Reddit.