Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Is it possible to have more than one map in a wad?

If you make at least two then one of them is worse than the other, which means that it sucks and you have to remove it, so you're back to having one map. So is it actually possible to have more than one map in a single wad?

If you're a mapping machine so you can afford sacrifacing maps "for the good of your work as a whole", and if you're a picky person with high standards who would actually do it - you are condemned to one map releases, yes. Your hope lies in either denying your standards, or denying logic. Or denying your perception of the map's quality when compared to another map, because everyone can value it differently. Someone can even see two maps as equally good, or each one great on its own, without a need to compare them. So there's your way to go. End of bullshit speech.

Memfis said:

If you make at least two then one of them is worse than the other, which means that it sucks and you have to remove it, so you're back to having one map. So is it actually possible to have more than one map in a single wad?

free the maps

Or just keep on trucking and hope the end result isn't too horrific. It worked for me. :D

Memfis said:

Of course it is, if you make a second map and it is shit then you either a: create another new map from scratch, or b: modify it so it is less shitty. Alternatively; if you have more than one really good map that you have made on your HDD, then fuse it into another wad that you made as a second map. TL;DR: it all comes down to using some common sense.

The best approach to mapmaking is to make a full 32-level megawad. Compare each map in the megawad, and keep eliminating maps until you're left with only the best. Once you've done that, make another 32-level megawad, and do the same process. Continue this process until you have 32 of the best levels you've ever made - combine them into another megawad and whittle them down until there is only one left. Then, and only then, will you have a map worthy of being released, and you will then understand why it is impossible to have more than one map.

Map01 should be a simple box with 1 imp. Map02 should be two small box rooms connected by a door of your texture choosing, with two imps. Keep doing this until Map32 has 32 rooms with the required doors along with 32 Imps.

Then after you made all your gay and boring flat rooms, go back to the start and detail the simple rooms with things like computers, stairs, etc... Just cram the small rooms full of stuff along with the imps.

Then you eat a taco when you release the wad.

geekmarine said:

The best approach to mapmaking is to make a full 32-level megawad. Compare each map in the megawad, and keep eliminating maps until you're left with only the best. Once you've done that, make another 32-level megawad, and do the same process. Continue this process until you have 32 of the best levels you've ever made - combine them into another megawad and whittle them down until there is only one left. Then, and only then, will you have a map worthy of being released, and you will then understand why it is impossible to have more than one map.

But then you've just got a greatest-hits collection without a coherent flow or a unifying artistic vision tying it together.

I would argue that peaks and valleys make for a more interesting and dynamic experience where the really great stuff stands out more. Buildup and climax can happen within an individual map, but it can also happen in the sequencing of levels. Including only the maps that are the most impressive when taken by themselves can result in a less interesting overall progression.

esselfortium said:

But then you've just got a greatest-hits collection without a coherent flow or a unifying artistic vision tying it together.

I would argue that peaks and valleys make for a more interesting and dynamic experience where the really great stuff stands out more. Buildup and climax can happen within an individual map, but it can also happen in the sequencing of levels. Including only the maps that are the most impressive when taken by themselves can result in a less interesting overall progression.

Agreed.

There can only be one, but while there are more these maps become immortal unless they return to their own planet where they would also live longer then any human would.

Eventually they will become oddballs killing themselves to get rid of that immortality while these maps could have lived a glorious near forever.

Do not cut of MAP heads while close to electronics, they might explode.

-Maplander.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Yeah, you do it like this. Name the first one map 01, the second one map 02, then map 03, etc.

An interesting concept.

phi108 said:

...and weapons. No enemies though...

why would you need weapons if there aren't any enemies to use them on?

Easily solved - make the same map twice, name the first MAP01, the second E1M1, then submit your wad to the archive and give Ty a headache.

Tylerisepic1 said:

why would you need weapons if there aren't any enemies to use them on?

Stop treading on Doomguy's Second Ammendment rights, you liberal hippie.

Between two Perfect 10 women, I would NOT view one of them as disposable. With that joke out of the way...

I had one map that turned out so well that I decided to make an entire episode out of it.

Said map is still stuck at 90%, while the new map has gone from 90% to 30% because of things being deleted or similar, in an effort to elevate it to the first map's level of quality, and the remaining five maps only contain like 3 sectors each for the time being.

I've quit jobs, education, Doom projects and so on, and I'm phrasing this sentence this way because there was a job (10 years ago, in 2004) where the manager commented on my aborted education and how it reveals a quality of mine - perhaps not finishing things or sticking things out. Since this current project of mine is a 20 year celebration of DOOM, I wanted it to be as good as I "imagined it", and that is hard work because it's very easy to just imagine something being "this much fun and that much great looking" - it only takes a second to imagine for example an entire Megawad.

If you make two one-map wads, the map in one wad is better than the map in the other wad, so you have to delete one of the wads. Is it ever possible to make more than one wad?

...Oh dear. What happens if two different people make one-map wads? D:

Xaser said:

If you make two one-map wads, the map in one wad is better than the map in the other wad, so you have to delete one of the wads. Is it ever possible to make more than one wad?

...Oh dear. What happens if two different people make one-map wads? D:

There should only ever be one wad on the archive, and that wad is END1

e1m1

Because Romero is about to make you his bitch.

You're welcome.

esselfortium said:

Funny enough, I'd sorta like to see a "Doomworld's/idGame's/Author X's Greatest Hits Collection" wad, sorta like how a band does a Greatest Hits album. Just a collection of good maps in a single wad from various projects or stand alones...

Clonehunter said:

Funny enough, I'd sorta like to see a "Doomworld's/idGame's/Author X's Greatest Hits Collection" wad, sorta like how a band does a Greatest Hits album. Just a collection of good maps in a single wad from various projects or stand alones...

I could get behind this. I mean we already have "Now That's What I Call Doom Maps" with Community Chest.

This:

Memfis said:
it sucks and you have to remove it

does not follow from this:

Memfis said:
one of them is worse than the other

Therefore, your question makes no sense, because it's predicated on a fallacy.

40oz said:

"no one would play a megawad entirely by me, just play through this crap so my maps look amazing."

Says the guy whose magnum opus is a collab and who got butthurt over people calling it fun, but very linear, so he overreacted by making (by himself) an entirely non-linear chaotic mess of a sequel with really shitty progression that's rather unfun to play, looks like ashwall gone mad and is generally pretentious to the max.

Is it just me or someone deleted a few posts from this thread? I thought I saw a second page to this.

Clonehunter said:

I tried to compile Doomworld's Fantasy Megawad (albeit just in written form, not in a PWAD) but there wasn't a lot of take up. surprising considering how forthcoming people normally are with their opinions on favourite maps/megawads/authors etc.

Here's the thread if you're interested:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/63432-doomworld-fantasy-megawad/

SFoZ911 said:

Is it just me or someone deleted a few posts from this thread? I thought I saw a second page to this.

edit: ill just delete my own posts to save someone elses time.