Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Is it possible to have more than one map in a wad?

40oz said:

edit: ill just delete my own posts to save someone elses time.

You can't delete posts. Blanking old posts is considered as forum vandalism. You are trapped in a machine of oppression.

help I'm being harassed

I know how tempting it can be for certain people with multi-year-long grudges to shit up threads with (completely off-topic, might I add) snide remarks whenever I post, but it's not going to be tolerated and you're just going to have to get over it.

Thanks,
Forum Hitler

If 90% of everything is shit, then that means that 90% of each individual WAD level made is shit, and let's be honest, if something is 90% shit then it certainly isn't good, so in the end, all WADs are bad.

In other words, no wad in the database should be rated higher than half a star?

SFoZ911 said:

Is it just me or someone deleted a few posts from this thread?

Not deleted, just given a red and yellow paint job.

Of course not! But you mean adding doom 1 textures to doom 2 maps, right?
(because you know who else adds entirely new textures to wads...)

What is the point in this thread? I've read it through a couple of times and I literally do not understand why it exists or what purpose is served by it being here.

It is this thing hu-mans do when they emit sounds from rhythmical contractions of their diaphragm.

Phobus said:

What is the point in this thread? I've read it through a couple of times and I literally do not understand why it exists or what purpose is served by it being here.

Postcount++ ;)

To the best of my understanding, OP is having an internal conflict where most of the judgment on his own maps comes from himself than from an outside source, so he's trying to gauge how people get around it I suppose. I'm not sure there is a logical answer to the question. Every suggestion here should be a matter of personal preference or gut feeling.

It's mostly a comedy thread obviously but it is also about me hesitating to put more than one level under the same label since in that format they will be inevitably compared, some will stand out and some will seem sucky, making the overall work very uneven. That seems to bug me more than most people. If not for that problem, I could've probably made a megawad by now?

esselfortium said:

But then you've just got a greatest-hits collection without a coherent flow or a unifying artistic vision tying it together.

I would argue that peaks and valleys make for a more interesting and dynamic experience where the really great stuff stands out more. Buildup and climax can happen within an individual map, but it can also happen in the sequencing of levels. Including only the maps that are the most impressive when taken by themselves can result in a less interesting overall progression.

Couldn't agree more with this, and to elaborate; having one map feeling like an adventure with striking outdoor scenes where each area is different from the last in a way that emphasizes the progression from point A to point B (for example Beast Island from AV), then having the next map being a short non linear chaotic blast fest with 3 keys spread out over a smaller area, that borders on slaughter gameplay with monsters being more densely placed etc.

:)

Memfis said:

It's mostly a comedy thread obviously but it is also about me hesitating to put more than one level under the same label since in that format they will be inevitably compared, some will stand out and some will seem sucky, making the overall work very uneven. That seems to bug me more than most people. If not for that problem, I could've probably made a megawad by now?

If this is not a comedy post but you're actually like that... Then I think you should rise above that and change your approach at least for once. The community would have received many very great and enjoyable megawads from you. ;)

Memfis said:

If this is really a problem, I don't think you'll be able to dodge it by packaging maps individually, rather than in a set: a comparison between two maps will also be invited when they're put out under the same name, so - assuming your reasoning is correct (though, I'm not sure that it is) - some will stand out and some will seem sucky, making your body of work very uneven. So, if this is really a problem, it's probably best just to make one map and be done with it ;)

Memfis said:

It's mostly a comedy thread obviously

I'm indeed rather head-desky (that's a word) about how many folks find this un-obvious. D:

But really though it does hint at an interesting underlying phenomenon. Personally, I end up having the opposite feeling: I feel hesitant to release something standalone since I have this irrational feeling that it's going to be overlooked unless it's part of a larger set. 'Tis weird.

Xaser said:

But really though it does hint at an interesting underlying phenomenon. Personally, I end up having the opposite feeling: I feel hesitant to release something standalone since I have this irrational feeling that it's going to be overlooked unless it's part of a larger set. 'Tis weird.

Memfis and Xaser, you both guys are lucky. You can map well. You're worrying about strange, IMO insignificant things. I see it as unnecessary perfectionism. You both can make whatever you want, experience shows that people will love it and envy you your skill, if not admire you. From my point of view, you're already so good that you don't need to improve further to get perfect perfect - but I can understand that you might view it differently. If I could map as good as Memfis or as Xaser, I would almost consider it as if my meaning of life (virtual life) was half fulfilled. And then, I think I wouldn't care about such nitpicks as you do, and I would just keep doing the greatness or anything I felt like.

I don't want to cause drama. Enough said, sorry for the outburst of my thoughts. I think they're relevant to the currently discussed topic, though.

Clonehunter said:

Then you eat a taco when you release the wad.

i suggest he eats a caco, given he hasn't used a single one in his map.

I'll just go right ahead and compare two maps you release as two one-map wads. Suck it down!

I realize I'm likely putting too much thought into a joke thread here, but by the logic of the OP, if we treat a multiple-map wad as a combined work meant to be taken as a whole, then by extension as soon as a single map has more than one encounter in it, one of those encounters is inferior to the other, the best encounter.

Sorta seriously, how would one measure "best encounters?" Or is that something quite out of the hands of the mapper? As well, "best encounter" may not equal "good encounter." I suppose proofing comes into play, but then you can't keep replicating the best fight over and over again, I'd guess, on an issue of being repetitive.

Clonehunter said:

Sorta seriously, how would one measure "best encounters?" Or is that something quite out of the hands of the mapper? As well, "best encounter" may not equal "good encounter." I suppose proofing comes into play, but then you can't keep replicating the best fight over and over again, I'd guess, on an issue of being repetitive.

The same way that you would measure "best maps", of course!

That's how I deal with everything.

Heck, that's probably how most people deal with everything, now that I think of it. :D

Clonehunter said:

edit: Hey, I'm a Staple again

Looks like you've been given a ToD title, congratulations!

esselfortium said:

I realize I'm likely putting too much thought into a joke thread here, but by the logic of the OP, if we treat a multiple-map wad as a combined work meant to be taken as a whole, then by extension as soon as a single map has more than one encounter in it, one of those encounters is inferior to the other, the best encounter.

So wads like ORIGWAD and WOW represent the pinnacle we should be striving for as mappers? I can live with that, might even cure my mappers block. :D

Heh - the answer's to be found in Blogs. Bloodshedder changed the postcount threshold for some of the default titles.

/me compiles everything Memfis has ever released into a megawad with a bloated filesize completely without his permission

I've already tried that but I found it made some of the weaker levels look worse so I ended up seperating them into individually WADs again.

Seriously though, Memfis has always had an open attitude about how his maps are used. I wonder if he'd mind if someone did this on his behalf.