Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jazzmaster9

Innocence [Released! NOW ON IDGAMES]

Recommended Posts

Just got done playing all 5 maps and...well i really enjoyed it. It heavily felt UltDoom-like with the inclusion of the DII monsters. While the map aren't super detailed i really like the simplicity of them and honestly the gameplay was very good which is obviously the most important part of any wads.

Map04 had the fights that stood out the most of the mapset, i was caught by surprised for a hellknight ambush in the hallway i thought i'd die. I like the provided cover for the AV fight just before grabbing the red key.

Overall i enjoyed your mapset, another member will have to comment on aesthetic and suggestions on improvement, i tend to give basic but honest feedback.

Great work~

Share this post


Link to post

Jazzmaster9, I actually found your maps pretty good and enjoyable. I admit, they're quite basic and textures within one map often repeats (it's noticeable right from the very first room and map). You can use some more interesting variation and detail on textures, walls and ceilings, just to keep the environment fresh everywhere. However I can say I'm with you - I also don't bother with detail in my maps, as it takes effort and I don't see it that important. Your maps have good layouts and fights (despite, once again, simple), which is more than enough to consider them great. Well, the thing might be, the maps don't stand out with intricate, surprising, inspiring moments. You're apparently not a keen texture/gameplay experimentator. You don't have to be if you don't feel like it - yet :). "Classic" gameplay is pleasant as well, just be prepared that your work will be rated as "nothing extra".

First suggestion I'd give, tell people right off that this mapset is intended for ZDoom. In fact - I'd say that making it backwards compatible with Boom or maybe even vanilla wouldn't be a big problem at all. You can consider doing it, to propose your work to PrBoom+ and other port enthusiasts and demo recorders, who don't use ZDoom because of compatibility issues. You've just used: some lifts with offsets, slopes on one place, and secret exit on MAP03 (the map can work as a normal map too). And yes, more challenging version of Barons. (By the way, the Baron challenge works great! I got killed because dodging was no longer that easy.) Theoretically, via vanilla-compatible DEHACKED, you could make the Barons throw a row of their straightforward green plasma, and perhaps also splitting mancubi fireballs - not splitting plasma, though. I'd be willing to make such a DEHACKED for you. Of course, nobody can harass you to do such a thing if you feel comfortable with ZDoom format. I am using a ZDoom-based port (Zandronum) for everything anyway. ;)

Balance-wise, you've supplied ammo and health very generously - and I've played from pistol starts! It was pleasant to not struggle, perhaps you could try to limit resources a bit more anyway, I think.

I haven't found errors, only in MAP06, where tiny crates are somewhat sunken into ground, but that's obviously a nitpick.

Teleports. The ambushes where monsters suddenly teleport behind you (as you open a door) are okay, but feel a little odd. I recommend placing a dummy teleport pedestal on the destination place. Make it look bland and not stand out, but the player could at least anticipate some betray. Perhaps don't use the classic GATE* floor flat, but a simple silver one or something similarly innocent.

Last thing I can say, avoid "cubyhole" secrets - 64x64 holes, activated by pressing a suspicious wall texture. There are other interesting ways to build (and hide) secrets - take inspiration. Also I confess that as you've hidden them using the secret linedef flag, they were hard to find and I've cheated to find most of them. In the case of the secret exit, I've also cheated to get inside, because I couldn't find a way how to do it. I don't complain, normally I enjoy searching for secrets (specially in these little and simple maps), but didn't feel like it today. Maybe you can make the secrets easier to find with an automap help (removing the secret line flag, or anyhow else, perhaps).

Overally, good job! You map in a simple way, but very well. :)

Share this post


Link to post
scifista42 said:

First suggestion I'd give, tell people right off that this mapset is intended for ZDoom. In fact - I'd say that making it backwards compatible with Boom or maybe even vanilla wouldn't be a big problem at all.


There are some subtle scripting in some maps so i'll keep the Zdoom format.

scifista42 said:

Balance-wise, you've supplied ammo and health very generously - and I've played from pistol starts! It was pleasant to not struggle, perhaps you could try to limit resources a bit more anyway, I think.


I'll try to limit some ammo in UV a little bit, though me personally had a hard time with ammo while testing my maps, hehe.

scifista42 said:

I haven't found errors, only in MAP06, where tiny crates are somewhat sunken into ground, but that's obviously a nitpick.


That is Fixed, that's so easy to miss, and i'm glad you found it :)

scifista42 said:

Teleports. The ambushes where monsters suddenly teleport behind you (as you open a door) are okay, but feel a little odd. I recommend placing a dummy teleport pedestal on the destination place. Make it look bland and not stand out, but the player could at least anticipate some betray. Perhaps don't use the classic GATE* floor flat, but a simple silver one or something similarly innocent.


I'm trying to keep the ambush hidden from the player so I'll keep this.

Archvile78 said:

Just got done playing all 5 maps and...well i really enjoyed it. It heavily felt UltDoom-like with the inclusion of the DII monsters. While the map aren't super detailed i really like the simplicity of them and honestly the gameplay was very good which is obviously the most important part of any wads.

Map04 had the fights that stood out the most of the mapset, i was caught by surprised for a hellknight ambush in the hallway i thought i'd die. I like the provided cover for the AV fight just before grabbing the red key.

Overall i enjoyed your mapset, another member will have to comment on aesthetic and suggestions on improvement, i tend to give basic but honest feedback.

Great work~


Thank You! the DooM I feel was exactly what I wanted to make, so the theme was communicated.

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Share this post


Link to post

Final Beta Uplpoaded!

Release date will be sometime between June 9-14.

School is coming up so I wanted to get this released as quickly as possible.

Share this post


Link to post

The final version has been released! the IDgames link will come soon

I had to release it early since i'll be busy preparing for school.

Share this post


Link to post

Hey jazzmaster9, been a while since I've played any of your maps so I gave this a run. FDAs in ZDoom 2.7.1 with the final beta, if you want to watch them: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1274280

Played pistol starts, UV, freelook enabled.

Overall they were pretty fun. I played pretty sloppy (count how many medikits I waste!) and still got through without too much trouble. The teleport ambushes did catch me off guard a few times, and the revenants at the start of map 4 did kill me once, but I caught on eventually. A surprising amount of archviles but you always had cover, so they weren't so hard. Lots of green armours around, more than a person could use I think, but that's not a big deal.

Boss fight was fun and took me by surprise, wasn't expecting those barons to pack that extra punch.

Your architecture is definitely more interesting than whatever I played last of yours, it's still vanilla-ish in detail level (which is A-OK by me) and a little square at times, but it seems like you've got a lot more height variation and varied geometry.

Anyhow I agree with most of what scifista42 wrote other than I don't mind the total surprise teleports. Nice maps!

Share this post


Link to post
Larzuk said:

Figured I'd give you a heads up and tell you that I am currently doing a video playthrough for Innocence. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myL-F8Q0IdE


Thank for some much for the playtrhough!

plums said:

Hey jazzmaster9, been a while since I've played any of your maps so I gave this a run. FDAs in ZDoom 2.7.1 with the final beta, if you want to watch them: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1274280

Played pistol starts, UV, freelook enabled.

Overall they were pretty fun. I played pretty sloppy (count how many medikits I waste!) and still got through without too much trouble. The teleport ambushes did catch me off guard a few times, and the revenants at the start of map 4 did kill me once, but I caught on eventually. A surprising amount of archviles but you always had cover, so they weren't so hard. Lots of green armours around, more than a person could use I think, but that's not a big deal.

Boss fight was fun and took me by surprise, wasn't expecting those barons to pack that extra punch.

Your architecture is definitely more interesting than whatever I played last of yours, it's still vanilla-ish in detail level (which is A-OK by me) and a little square at times, but it seems like you've got a lot more height variation and varied geometry.

Anyhow I agree with most of what scifista42 wrote other than I don't mind the total surprise teleports. Nice maps!


Thank you very much for the feedback. I'll be sure to take a look at your demos.

Share this post


Link to post

Not bad, the design is somewhat basic but not in a bad way, just an old-school way. Texture choice (and music) lends a very Ultimate Doom feel, almost to the point that the D2 monsters almost feel a bit out of place when they show up. The "monsters teleport on top/behind the player" started to feel a bit repetitive, as was the Arch-Vile placement (almost always emerging from a small cubbyhole right in front of the player). But all in all, nice old-school bite-sized maps.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×