Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AdAmIzEr

Help With Zdoom Text Editing

Ok here is my problem. I want to edit the key names in zdoom. Here is an example of what i want to do.

Normal text
Picked up the yellow key.

Modified text
Picked up the piss key.

How do i modify this text? I searched zdoom's web page but i didnt see anything. Please help

You don't even need ZDoom to do that, you just need dehacked, you can edit all of the text in Doom through dehacked.

AdAmIzEr said:

Ok here is my problem. I want to edit the key names in zdoom. Here is an example of what i want to do.

Normal text
Picked up the yellow key.

Modified text
Picked up the piss key.

Haha...what is the level you are making going to be like?

It's just adam's retarded nickname for the yellow key. He has ones for the red and blue ones too, blood and sky I think.

You do indeed want a dehacked patch to do this, or rather a bex patch. Bex is the enhanced format for deh patches that were brought out by team TNT with the boom engine. This format supports very flexible text changing. In your bex file you would need an entry like:

[STRINGS]
GOTYELWCARD = picked up the piss key.

For more info on most of the possible text entries, read the file boomdeh.txt that comes with boom, or there is a copy on my site in the dehacked section.

Zdoom also has additional entries added to allow changing of the "funny" exit messages (like the don't go now.... press y or n to exit ones) and a few more messages like the obituary messages and killing spree messages etc.

My site