Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fahim@_@

Post your worst Doom experience here!

One time, my brother was playing doom64's lvl 13: the dark citadel and an specter got him by surprise. I remember that moment well becuase I was so concentrated looking that I felt like the demon grabed my arms to bite me.

Another one was when playing a map with a cyberdemon, he shoot me a rocket and I felt the rocket hitting my face, it wasn't painfull at all, it just felt weird.

The worst Doom experience? Probably the most boring moments, because they're the kind I realize I'm playing shit when it's too late. These bad moments are when I'm playing a one or two-man megawad, which has been designed so mechanically and repetitively that it feels like a Slige product. I felt this way about Twilight Zone (twzone.wad) for example.

printz said:

The worst Doom experience? Probably the most boring moments, because they're the kind I realize I'm playing shit when it's too late. These bad moments are when I'm playing a one or two-man megawad, which has been designed so mechanically and repetitively that it feels like a Slige product. I felt this way about Twilight Zone (twzone.wad) for example.

Yeah... trying to design a megawad of consistent quality without repeating yourself too much really is the biggest obstacle (besides for actually following through and completing the megawad despite your diminishing sanity and motivation, haha).

Getting stuck on Map19 (The Citadel) for years only because you have to open a secret wall to complete it "properly". The said wall is not indicated by anything either. I finished the map years after I first played it, because I finally got Internet access and could watch a walkthrough.

Journey to Hell demos. It was MAP18 that I had been attempting to demo for about 5-6 hours that day and I finally was in the final room and with only 5 monsters left a Cyberdemon fired at me and even though I saw the rocket some part of me wanted to walk into it. 44 minutes and 44 seconds wasted.

Patrol1985 said:

Getting stuck on Map19 (The Citadel) for years only because you have to open a secret wall to complete it "properly". The said wall is not indicated by anything either. I finished the map years after I first played it, because I finally got Internet access and could watch a walkthrough.

Glad someone else has mentioned this, how the hell were we supposed to know to hit a really well hidden secret wall, THEN have to repeat the process 4 times just to go in the one with the blue key? So annoying. The map woulda been good if not for that hunk of garbage.

TNT Hell levels.

EDIT: Almost forgot the BFG Edition, particularly on PS3; low look sensitivity (almost unplayabe), couldn't see anything in long distances, red screen lasts longer, crappy sounds and music and the censored wolf3d levels. Gave it a second chance recently and played through NRFTL on UV. Decent episode only made painful with the horrible controls and gameplay of the port. Not going to touch that garbage again.

a Cyberdemon fired at me and even though I saw the rocket some part of me wanted to walk into it.

So weird. Happens to me too, from time to time. It must be a deer in the headlights kind of thing.

- A : dead for no reason.
I ended up Dead 3 or 4 times in a row against a cyber demon while having more cover positions then healthy. I could see the rocket flying towards me yet i did not change my direction and kept storming forward...

- B : your standard, i stop playing because the traps and map fail to interest me anymore, or are totally not what i like to play.

- C : On zdoom playing against a 0 ping bot, which was one of the toughest non bot like players i had ever seen. It hunted me, it literally hunted me. So at first i thought it was somebody playing on the server machine itself thus have 0 ping and acting like a bot so i tested it trough the chat. but all it did was chat repeating bot text.

By the time that bot started camping and standing still in corners until i passed it i was certain the server host was fooling me. so the bot camped and hunted me on and on. I was so certain it was human...
suddenly another player entered and that weird bot got kicked... it was a bot...

Phml said:

So weird. Happens to me too, from time to time. It must be a deer in the headlights kind of thing.

Those missiles are impossible to see at low resolutions (like 320x240) until they're right in your face. I think it's lack of distinct, animating and flashing color makes it look less threatening despite being an instant death ticket.

First experience of Death Tormention II E4M5. Opens something secret by accident, runs into it, insta-death.

Being confronted with

Spoiler

U
A
C
M
N

for the first time, not knowing anything about what it's alike.

A DM game on Gothic99 map01. A great victory of detail over sanity.

^ ^^ ^^^You guys are harsh. Those wads are insanely unorthodox, but from a certain perspective, they're legendary and really quality. Are you actually saying you don't have any worse experience?

I play a lot of shit, and DVII is still one of the most boring affairs I've ever tolerated. Looks good, yes. Looks very good in places, exceptional detail. But when playing it so frequently flows like a brick with barely any room for interpretation; "do things a certain way or don't do them at all" gameplay just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, nor does a long session of holding down MOUSE1 while holding the BFG.

And then there's all that easter egg/clashing themes shit which makes 1994 custom textures of an author and his cat look well-planned and fitting.

Yeah DVII has some pacing issues with several of the maps (That Asian map, Minas Murgul, Eagle's Nest, just to name a few).

We're still thinking about what we want to do about that.

I tend to quit custom levels (And some official ones) when they force you to go over a lot of poisonous sludge, often without a rad suit, and then they through you into a room full of monsters right afterwards and call it 'Difficulty.' More like Bullshittery.

That's how my Demonfear playthrough ended in MAP12. Wasting all the suits, not knowing about the mandatory toxic tunnel, saving the game overwriting the existing slot and being low on health.

ASD said:

EDIT: Almost forgot the BFG Edition, particularly on PS3; low look sensitivity (almost unplayabe), couldn't see anything in long distances, red screen lasts longer, crappy sounds and music and the censored wolf3d levels. Gave it a second chance recently and played through NRFTL on UV. Decent episode only made painful with the horrible controls and gameplay of the port. Not going to touch that garbage again.

Another vote for the PS3 port of Doom. What a piece of shit that was...

RUSH said:

Another vote for the PS3 port of Doom. What a piece of shit that was...

Oh yeah that's right.

I played the PSN Doom collection split screen co-op once.

It couldn't keep the frame rate up. Yep. PS3. Dropping frames in Doom.

The. Fuck.

Ribbiks said:

I hate everything, doom sucks.

your post is my worst doom experience

My darkest Doom experience was MAP12 of Sacrament, it's a pretty dark level, hth