Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Scripting With ZDoomHeXen

Um...how exactly do you implement a scripted event and/or scripted text messages into ZDoomHeXen specific levels, like the one I'm working on? I just need to know how to do this. I've tried figuring itout on my own, to no avail. And of course, I am using DeePSea at the moment.

DooMBoy said:

Um...how exactly do you implement a scripted event and/or scripted text messages into ZDoomHeXen specific levels, like the one I'm working on? I just need to know how to do this. I've tried figuring itout on my own, to no avail. And of course, I am using DeePSea at the moment.

This is a 2 part answer:

1. The easy part is how to create scripts, compile and save them.

Here's how:

a) Press F6 - this brings up a ZDOOMHEXEN specific dialog with access to scripts, SNDINFO, MAPINFO and all that stuff.
b) On the upper left of this dialog there are 3 buttons:
...Edit Script - brings up a text editor of your choice (set in F5)
...Compile Script - compiles the script you created/displays results
...Save Behavior - saves the object file from compile into your level

The Prompt check boxes bring up a prompt for the file names or default to the standard generated names if you uncheck them (which is a lot faster - it's there for compatibility with older versions).

The Edit and Auto Compile check box will automatically compile your script after you exit the editor (you don't have to press the Compile Script button).

The Compile and Auto Save check box will automatically save your object file (you don't have to press the Save Behavior button).

Auto Generate File Names automatically makes names that use your PWAD name as part of the name. Makes it easy to flip between PWADS without having to type any names in.

================

2. The hard part is learning scripting.

First you need to put the ZDOOM acs "include" files wherever you save the scripts. I prefer to keep them in the same directory as the PWAD, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Best way to learn is to look at some sample scripts. ZDOOM has a bunch of simple sample levels and scripts on the ftp site:

http://zdoom.notgod.com/ftp/examples/

Export the scripts in these using the "Export Scriptxx to a File" button.

Read the various help files about scripting. It's exactly like programming. Not everyone gets off on it:)