Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dg93

Need Help Fixing Strange Bugs In PWAD For Odamex

Hey guys, for anyone who doesn't know, I released a 35 level community project last month called Deathmatch Revival: 35 Cross Compatible Maps By The Doom Community.

I am about to release a 5 level extras pack to go along with the official 35 level pwad. All the levels are completed. However, I'm unable to release it because I'm noticing some strange texture bugs. For one thing, these bugs do not appear when using Zandronum.

When I combine the two pwads together (dmr_2014.wad & dmr_extr.wad) when using the Odamex source port, you can see the bugs in maps 36, 38, & 40.
The strange thing is that when I play the dmr_extr.wad separately, these bugs don't appear at all.

I don't quite understand why this is happening, but I need some help on how to fix it.

Here is the officical 35 level pwad: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=levels/doom2/deathmatch/Ports/megawads/dmr_2014.zip

Here is the work in progress of the dmr extras pwad: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ma2mkgtvz5ya9q9/dmr_extr_V3.zip

I don't quite understand why this is happening, but I need some help on how to fix it. If somebody can help me with this, I would really appreciate it and I will credit you in the text file.

Here are some screen shots of what the dmr_extr.wad maps look like with the bugs: <SEE BELOW>

MAP36: The sky

MAP38: Missing a couple of custom blood patches on wall

MAP40: Missing a couple of custom patches of author's names & mirrored textures of Rick Astley

[img]http://i.imgur.com/sNz5KO9.png[img]

Here are some screen shots of what the dmr_extr.wad maps look like without the bugs: <SEE BELOW>

MAP36: The sky appears correct

MAP38: The custom blood patches on wall appear

MAP40: All the custom patches of author's names & textures of Rick Astley are present

[img]http://i.imgur.com/ZOMHS9t.png[img]

Fellowzdoomer said:

Did you check all of your sectors?

Yes, there is nothing wrong with the sectors. I think this has something to do with either the patch lump or the texture lump. I'm not that savvy on fixing this like this in pwads.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Maybe some textures mixed up somehow?

It's probably the new textures added to the dmr extras pwad that aren't in the 35 level pwad. But it only occurs when playing the extra's wad along with the 35 level pwad. The bugs don't appear in Odamex when played separately. I have no idea why this is happening.

The n?w textures may be samely named as the other wad. The main wad will override the secondary ones.

What order are you loading it in?

Fellowzdoomer said:

The n?w textures may be samely named as the other wad. The main wad will override the secondary ones.

What order are you loading it in?

I think I made the new textures to have different names in the dmr_extr.wad

The order I use to play both wads is dmr_extr.wad & dmr_2014.wad which gives me the bugs in both Odamex and ZDaemon, but not Zandronum

However, when switching the order of the wads (dmr_2014.wad & dmr_extr.wad), the bugs don't appear when using both Odamex & ZDaemon.

Just a question, when loading both wads in this order (dmr_extr.wad & dmr_2014.wad) in the ZDaemon or Odamex server, will the bugs appear? I'm not sure that when hosting a server on either of those source ports, if there is a particular order list to pwads. I don't want the bugs to appear when playing online.

To me this seems to be based around conflicting resources. If you change the load order of the pwads the bugs do not appear, which means something is not being changed to make that bug happen. I suggest quikly checking the texture names in your new (smaller) pwad and then literally compare the new texture names to the ones in the original pwad (the full DMR).

If it is not that which caused this, then it might be a lot harder to solve and find.

MAP40: Missing a couple of...mirrored textures of Rick Astley

I'd listen to Odamex's suggestion in this case.

Megamur said:

I'd listen to Odamex's suggestion in this case.

Plus the texture wad is always preferred to be loaded after the main wad. Or in other words at the end of the load.

@Linkrulezall: That's hilarious lol

@FireFish: I don't see any conflicting resources in both pwads. A friend of mine who is really good at fixing bugs in pwads recommends to just consolidate the 35 level pwad with the 5 level extras wad. Basically, a new offical DMR version of 40 maps. I'm leaning towards this idea to be honest and I already added the 5 extra maps along with the couple of custom textures in the pwad. This will be a Special Edition version, not just of the new maps, but with some fine tuning of a few existing maps. (Examples: Removing the monsters outside of the cages in your map [MAP06] and also a few in [MAP26]. Adding a BFG in [MAP12] in replace of the blue mega-armor. Removing the megasphere's in [MAP23] and replacing them with green armor (This one was actually requested by many people who played with me online). And etc...)

The problem is likely that the TEXTURE1 and/or PNAMES lumps in DMR_2014.wad don't have the new textures and patches from DMR_EXTR.wad. These lumps aren't cumulative, meaning TEXTURE1 in one wad won't combine with TEXTURE1 in another wad. Later versions of ZDoom (clearly ported to Zandronum) don't need to rely on a TEXTUREx lump at all.

The only way to make sure this works in all ports is to make sure the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps in DMR_EXTR.wad has entries for all the textures/patches in both wads (even if only the new textures are in DMR_EXTR.wad), and to load DMR_EXTR.wad as the last file in the list.

This sounds like it might already be the case if loading DMR_EXTR.wad as the second file works. But if you want I can edit DMR_EXTR.wad to be sure that this is the case... eventually. Give me a few days :p

plums said:

The problem is likely that the TEXTURE1 and/or PNAMES lumps in DMR_2014.wad don't have the new textures and patches from DMR_EXTR.wad. These lumps aren't cumulative, meaning TEXTURE1 in one wad won't combine with TEXTURE1 in another wad. Later versions of ZDoom (clearly ported to Zandronum) don't need to rely on a TEXTUREx lump at all.

The only way to make sure this works in all ports is to make sure the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps in DMR_EXTR.wad has entries for all the textures/patches in both wads (even if only the new textures are in DMR_EXTR.wad), and to load DMR_EXTR.wad as the last file in the list.

This sounds like it might already be the case if loading DMR_EXTR.wad as the second file works. But if you want I can edit DMR_EXTR.wad to be sure that this is the case... eventually. Give me a few days :p

You are most likely right Plums. I'm doing away with the idea of making a separate dmr_extras pwad and instead making a special edition version of the official dmr with the 5 extra levels.

So far it is almost done and it runs perfectly on Zandronum. But as usual, both Odamex and ZDaemon have to be a pain in the ass and give me bugs.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/12jhxo90t839j9a/fixdmr14.zip

This build of the special edition pwad gives me an error that crashes ZDaemon: Script Error, "ANIMDEFS" line 22: Unknown texture SW2CMT

It does surprisingly work with Odamex, but it has a shit load of mirrored textures and shit.... I don't even know why lol
Do you think you can fix that for me? I would appreciate it :)

Sure, I'll take a look. It should be an easy job but I've got other things I should be doing :p.

Don't blame the ports, they're just doing what vanilla Doom would have done!

plums said:

Sure, I'll take a look. It should be an easy job but I've got other things I should be doing :p.

Don't blame the ports, they're just doing what vanilla Doom would have done!

Awesome and thanks! Speaking of other things I should be doing, I should be studying for my statistics quiz for tomorrow....

doomguy93 said:

This build of the special edition pwad gives me an error that crashes ZDaemon: Script Error, "ANIMDEFS" line 22: Unknown texture SW2CMT

That looks like the old SlumpEd/XWE double shuffle.

I might have a bit more free time than plums, so I'll also take a look at it.

GreyGhost said:

That looks like the old SlumpEd/XWE double shuffle.

I might have a bit more free time than plums, so I'll also take a look at it.

I use XWE and it usually gives me these type of problems. If you or plums fix it for me, that would be great. Thanks GreyGhost!

I found over 50 short texture names that had been padded to 8 characters, most ending with a "7". While some ports might now ignore XWE's name padding it looks like ZDaemon is still having issues, so I repaired the names. Also found most of the custom texture entries were duplicated, so cleaned them out as well and removed the redundant S3DUMMY patch.

Try this - maps 36, 38 & 40 tested OK in Odamex and ZDaemon, though so far I've only tested a few other maps to see if the changes have broken anything.

GreyGhost said:

I found over 50 short texture names that had been padded to 8 characters, most ending with a "7". While some ports might now ignore XWE's name padding it looks like ZDaemon is still having issues, so I repaired the names. Also found most of the custom texture entries were duplicated, so cleaned them out as well and removed the redundant S3DUMMY patch.

Try this - maps 36, 38 & 40 tested OK in Odamex and ZDaemon, though so far I've only tested a few other maps to see if the changes have broken anything.

It works now! Thanks for your help GreyGhost. I have to ditch XWE and learn other wad editors.

It seems XWE is becoming more and more of an issue everywhere...
i might have to move on to slade3 soon, even tough i think modern GUI's ruin productivity. =/

doomguy93 said:

It works now! Thanks for your help GreyGhost. I have to ditch XWE and learn other wad editors.

You're welcome, let me know if you encounter any texture weirdness. XWE still has its uses, you just have to be prepared for the occasional glitch.

GreyGhost said:

You're welcome, let me know if you encounter any texture weirdness. XWE still has its uses, you just have to be prepared for the occasional glitch.

I find XWE useful for simple things like adding/replacing midis and sprites. I usually have bad luck with textures and other lump data.

Gez said:

XWE is a command-line tool now?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "command-line tool"

GreyGhost said:

You have to launch it from a command prompt - like my old friend DeuTex.

I never knew you had to use a command prompt to launch the program.