Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Advocating Bullying? [WTF]

So, I came across this video wherein a mayor states that victims of bullying just need to "grow a pair": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUe47n2Fag

Now, it seems obvious that such a claim is insanely absurd - However, people in the comments sections are actually ADVOCATING it as a way of "social Darwinism"! A way to "clean up the gene pool" as it were. (Yeah right, like a bunch of idiotic brutes = a clean gene pool..) I find that to be not only insulting, but downright insane.

I don't know where else to ask, so I'll do it here, where people tend to be intelligent and thoughtful in their responses, in stark contrast to YouTube.

My question is: Is there honestly any hope for this species considering so many people agree with such an absurd claim? How many here are victims of bullying, and see through this logic? If someone advocates bullying, should they not then be willing to be beaten themselves?

Me and Julia would love to have a child at some point, but my hopes are dwindling. I think I need some reassurance from somewhat intelligent people. I'm not sure where else to look.

Thoughts?

dont worry, its probly just 'contrarinism', since theres quite a bit of talk about tackling bullying these days.

Bullies stop bullying when someone fights back (and wins). Of course then they might just continue bullying someone else.

So people want a society consisting of sociopathic idiots who leech off the less fortunate? Sounds reasonable.

"Cleaning the gene pool"? Ahaha, that is the DUMBEST reason to support bullying. In general school I was bullied incessantly because I love metal music (no, really). Seriously, what kind of shit reason is that? Even better, sometimes, when I fought back, I was the one who got flak from teachers.

But don't worry, all of those people are blockheads with empty heads anyway but I just wish they had left me alone as it really affected my social life. That is the time when I became a recluse who barely goes out. FUCK THEM and FUCK their gypsy infested culture. I fucking hate them and gypsies for ruining our country with their "culture". If I could have my revenge on them then I would for fucking up my life.

Ah, bullying.

I hate all the massive anti-bullying campaigns and people using the word "Bully" wrong. Everything bad that happens to anyone just has to be called "bullying" now.

Sheesh. What a bandwagon.

I somewhat agree with the theory that bullied kids need to grow a pair. I mean, really. Standing up to oppressors is THE way to go, in this shitty society, but it just ends in more bloodshed. I think the argument about "cleaning up the gene pool" is bullshit, though.

Although bullying is shit, but I feel as though we're coddling and subjecting the bullied kids to "special treatment", making them even weaker. They need to learn how to fight, to an extent, and to defend themselves. Even if they get punished for it, maiming the oppressor to near-death is the way to do it, hopefully with a large, blunt object. Ignoring the problem will result in an unfinished job to do. You need to pull the bandage sometime, y'know? The bullies just won't learn their lesson until it rings in their head like a bell.

I don't understand it, though. How people get off on this bullying craze.

I'm a bit neutral about the issue so I agree with either side of the "should bullied kids grow a pair?" debate, as long as they have proper reasons.

I'm an advocate of bullying. It gives kids a challenge to overcome, to toughen up.

I was the weakest link at my school, the 2nd youngest of my grade all my life. Harassed by most of the school, even teachers. Then between 8th and 9th grade I decided to fix my issues and stop being the weakest link and I'm a better person for it. Their constant daily, hourly harassment motivated me to improve myself.

geo said:

Harassed by most of the school, even teachers.

One fucked up school you went to.

The problem, as I saw it, was never really the bullies themselves. So a couple of lowbrow thugs wanted to beat me up, so what? What always bothered me was that no one in the school system seemed too terribly interested in doing anything about it. I always found it to be a bit disturbing how easily teachers would look the other way - until the moment you decided to stand up for yourself and fight back. Suddenly they were incredibly aware of exactly what you had done, while still seemingly oblivious to anything that might have provoked you. And it was always like, "Hello, you dumb fucks!? I wouldn't feel the need to take action here if I felt safe, but I can't feel safe if you just look the other way whenever someone wants to kick the crap out of me at recess." The double standard just baffled me as a kid - if you had a problem with bullies, you were expected to get a teacher, but if you got a teacher, you were called a liar and got in trouble for making up stories.

I honestly still don't really understand it. It's like there's a fear of calling a kid out on his bullying. I frankly never understood what was so difficult about it. Any other school rules, there was never any question about what the proper course of action was. But for some reason things always seemed to get murky when bullying came up. It's like, I don't even understand the need for stricter anti-bullying rules - just enforce the rules you got. But there just always seems to be this unwritten rule that teachers don't want to enforce anti-bullying rules.

i can write books on this because of personal experience :

He whom advocates bullying is a hypocrite, especially those whom think to be superior in the gene pool.
those tough guys claim children and adults need to grow up and become stronger to protect themselves, while the amount of calls to cops for people throwing a punch or two is rising year by year.
I am certain if that Mayor would bully someone and the victim would punch him on the nose, the victim would end up in jail to be treated as scum and villainy.

In the hell that was my school life i was always punished and secluded from the others whenever i defended myself verbally and or physically,
i was the badguy as a very young kid according to many teachers for protecting myself.
Many western cultures and societies have come to a point where self defense is being punished, be it as a kid, be it as an adult. I dare anybody in a modern western culture anywhere
on the globe to do what your grandparents did in these conditions. Be assured you as a minor, or an adult will end up in some sort of court be it trough a youth judge or an adult case.

This mayor reminds me of people whom had their youth in the 1960's and 1970's, that is a time where (including Belgium) people could have a fight to solve a dispute and
the cops where the last to know about it (if they even ever knew). I have heard numerous stories of what people did as teens and young adults in those times which would now provide teens and adults with jail time...
This man is not aware of being highly controversial, he is wording that which he grew up on, the ways of his generation before LAW and many of the western cultures started to change drastically at the end of the 80's.

About those degenerating youtube comments :

In short ;
it are children with no clue what they are writing about, or adults whom fail to think when behind or possible even not behind a computer screen. They are in no way the default 'standard' for humanity,
they are at their best degenerate rejects as long as they are safe behind their screen.

First of all, advocating the cleansing of the gene pool is the same as advocating survival of the fittest. However Cleaning of the gene pool is advocating the creation of a master race. Call these people Hitler and they would explode, disagree with them and you would be a weakness, however if one would come to a point where physical defense
might be appropriate against these strong genetic super men, they would call the cops in fear and disgust and you end up in jail or court because they feared a justified defense by something stronger than they are.

this is known as the mindless INTERNET TROLL.

Maybe the teachers used to be bullies themselves.

I got into a fight with some bully in the recess in a very visible place.. but somehow all the teachers were looking the other way.

No idea why that guy decided to try bully me. Probably because I was new. His friend also tried to bully me later, but he didn't have the balls the fight me.

I only ever got into some trouble from fighting once.. because apparently it wasn't appropriate to throw some liquid around in the computer class.. but this fat bully just dodged it all. If he had just stood still and let me pour some coca-cola into his neck...

I think most of the people who bullied me, did it because I was a bit eccentric. I never saw them bully the really geeky/smart people.

Most bullies I've seen are the most cowardly people I've ever encountered. Usually it's been enough just insult them back, works best when done in front of multiple witnesses. Provoke them to want to fight you, and appear ready to fight yourself.. and when the bully doesn't dare, everyone notice what kind of loser he really is.

geekmarine said:

What always bothered me was that no one in the school system seemed too terribly interested in doing anything about it. I always found it to be a bit disturbing how easily teachers would look the other way - until the moment you decided to stand up for yourself and fight back.

This is almost the complete opposite situation these days, if I'm not mistaken, now the teachers are all overly protective fearing for the children 24/7. Man, it should be done in moderation.

i do not support bullying...

i can relate bullying to the holocaust...

germany 1930s. think of it as a high school. the nazis were the bullies, the jocks. the ordinary germans were just your ordinary german kids. jews were the nerds. 'nuff said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/st-marys-judge-rules-that-girl-17-be-tried-in-juvenile-court-in-abuse-of-autistic-boy/2014/05/29/354d3644-e74f-11e3-8f90-73e071f3d637_story.html - also note how they tried to KILL him.

Crasger said:

One fucked up school you went to.

Yeah, I'm sure I've told stories here before. I remember my 7th grade teacher heckled me for being the best student and my scores drastically dropped.

In a different middle school grade, we had public speaking class. I did a speech on Al Gore. At the end of it, she asked who is Al Gore. I said an environmental guy that wrote 2 books. She freaked out Al Gore is the Vice President. I told her I said that several times in my speech. I think she slapped me and yelled at me to sit down. I no longer did any speeches and that was speech class.

Then I became the butt of all her jokes until the last month of school in that grade. I think that I got enough courage to insult her bad enough to leave the room crying. I wasn't even aware that I was the reason she left crying. I don't even remember what it was I did, but the students said I should go apologize to her.

I remember in 6th grade, the kid sitting behind me fucking hole punched my ear. Just quickly wrapped his arm around my head, and hole punched my ear. It wasn't enough to punch a hole in my ear, but I bled.

The taunts and names aren't memorable since there aren't specific instances. The name they called me was just my name. Heck I remember my 3rd grade teacher renamed me to a specific insulting name and it stuck for 2 fucking years. The next teacher even called me the name. The kids found a worse name for me I think 6th - 8th grade that stuck.

Some people in the 9th grade tried to get the name to stick... but I had cured my problems and become an improved person and people stuck up for me since I fixed my problems.

I remember one teacher asked me 'who was making fun of you?' I said everyone, like kids sometimes say, she asked 'Who's everyone?' I started listing off names and eventually she stopped me and said, 'You can't just give me everyone's name in the class.' Sometimes I'd think that I was mentally handicapped and just didn't realize it.

I became quite the target for tripping too. I assume it was just boys roughhousing or whatever, but I was a target, since I was deemed untrippable. People would attack me 2 at a time in the hallway to try and trip me. This went on from 6th - 8th grade. In the 8th grade I fought back against one instead of just avoiding being tripped. I kicked him in the stomach, he got mad, there was an actual fight. It was funny he kept punching and I just blocked with my trapper keeper. A teacher noticed and sent us to the office. The principal yelled at me worse than the other kid for being a disappointment. The principal expected better of me. Its cool though.

Then in the 8th grade I think it was, I just had the shit beat out of me. People got tired of tripping me, so I think it was 6 on 1. I lost. Mostly because someone wrapped his arms around my legs so every time I'd try to get up to run away... I couldn't. I just fell back down. However, I kept getting up. I got away and learned how to fight instead of just learning how to avoid being tripped.

I was eventually tripped twice in a row on one of the last days of 8th grade. The first time 2 kids tripped me into mud. My foot was stuck in the mud when they tripped me straight out of my shoes (yeah excuses excuses), Then when I got up 2 different kids tripped me straight into a fire hydrant that just so happened to be at the center of the playground.

At some point in the 8th grade, I think the gym teacher got into the tripping. Mr. Zarumba. We were doing kickball or some sport with a diamond. As I was running to first base, he was next to the base and he tried sweeping his leg to trip me. Everyone laughed, but I jumped it. Part of me says he telegraphed it, so I know he'd trip me. The other part of me says, no he tried to trip me while I was running at full speed.

That gym teacher used to yell at me for being the weakest, and that would continue in high school. I was put into some experimental gym class called CHAMPS that was like boot camp. 3 miles on the track every other day, and weight room on the off days. No sports, just working out. On the weight room days we were paired into groups of 5. The teacher thought it would be good for me to pair me on the jock squad of 4 people to beef me up. It was a good idea, I got better and bigger.

The jocks would harass me for being the weakest, but I harassed them right back instead of letting them, being a weak target. I am still a weak target, but I fight back now.

I remember when I was 8 at a carnival with my grandfather, some drunk dudes took my hat. They said I took their beer, so they took my hat and wouldn't give it back. I assumed they'd just give it back in the end. Nope. My grand father who was with me at the time turned to me and asked, 'did you know them?' Nope. 'Then why'd you let them take your hat?' Now that I'm older I realize, no fucker, why didn't you stop them from taking my hat? You're the adult and I was 8 and can't reach their heads. Guess I could have punched them in the balls. Ah well.

Now I see shit all the time and I step up. I was baby sitting my cousins 4 kids at a beach. Some big kid was attempting to drown a little kid. The kid would get out of the water onto the dock and the big kid would push him in. I kept seeing this shove, so I just went to the big kid, told him to stop. He told me his dad's a cop and fuck off. He kept pushing the little kid back in until the kid was trying to swim a hundred feet back to shore and it just looked like the kid was failing. So I yelled at the kid. I have a big mouth and when I yell avalanches happen and wildlife dies. Later on, the cops came. Including his dad, to arrest me for hitting a child. Nah, didn't hit the brat, just yelled. The parents that weren't stopping the bullying swooped in to defend me saying I never hit the kid. So the cops walked away. The bullied kid was no longer there to explain his side of things.

Anyway, the dad cop then proceeded to harass my dying grand mother that still lived in the town the incident happened in. Showing up at her door and telling her that I was going to jail. Just every day, he'd show up at her door, tell them that I've been arrested for this and that. Basically mind fucking her.

So I got him fired, apparently I wasn't the only person that complained. Yay. And I think he suicided 2 years after that, because he got busted in some money making scam.

Bullies. I'm second guessing why people advocate bullies.

Sorry for the long blog that might totally derail the topic, but it was therapy to me.

There was this one guy in a school that kept semi-bullying me with asking:"What's wrong Jimi?" which was weird, because in a previous school, I also got nicknamed "Jimi". But I didn't mind, because I liked the name, although that semi-bully was quite annoying.

Maybe I should have kicked him for a bit...

geo said:

lots of crazy shizz

Jesus christ, man. That's one fucked up town. Everyone there deserves to die or get arrested or something.

Either it's that or you're totally making this up.

Crasger said:

This is almost the complete opposite situation these days, if I'm not mistaken, now the teachers are all overly protective fearing for the children 24/7. Man, it should be done in moderation.

Bull-freakin'-shit, no offense. When it comes to bullying, teachers still look the other way. At least, that's the impression I get when I read news stories on the situation. Oh sure, on other issues, there's plenty of hand-holding, but not when it comes to bullying. There's almost a fear of coming down hard on bullies - like, you better damn well come in with video evidence, and even then, the kid might get a mild scolding at best.

The reason this pisses me off so much is the one thing you need to succeed in school is to be able to feel safe. You can't feel safe when you know kids can kick the crap out of you under teacher supervision and no one will do a goddamn thing. Again, this isn't even a "fight your own battles" type situation, because the moment you challenge the system, the system beats you down hard. Suspension, expulsion, etc. All that's needed is for teachers to enforce the rules already in place. What's so friggin' hard about that?

geekmarine said:

Bull-freakin'-shit, no offense. When it comes to bullying, teachers still look the other way. At least, that's the impression I get when I read news stories on the situation.

Must be a regional difference or something.

I've observed that there are some situations where they're cracking down on bullying, so much so that it bothers the children. Well, it does seem that there are more instances of them not giving a flying fuck about the situation.

In a lot of cases if you stand up against a bully, even after telling staff at the school whats going on, you will be the one who gets in trouble. In High School a couple wannabe gang-bangers had been starting crap with me pretty much every day at school. Talked to a teacher about it and nothing was ever done. So I finally did something about it and beat the hell out of one of them when the other was not at school. I almost get expelled for it and they still didn't do anything. Come to find out these two had complaints against them from other students and their parents. Only thing that prevented me from getting expelled was my mother and a couple other parents going to the school and raising hell with the school staff.

Instead of calling it bullying, why not just consider it harassment. Or if a kid gets beat up, just consider it assault. I don't like the idea of giving it a specific title like bullying. If the child is a minor, than the parents should be held responsible. If you cannot raise your children right, than you should pay. If a child gives my son a black-eye; I should sue his parents for assault.

I work for a university, and a lot of the students that go for teaching write about bullying for their senior thesis because its easy. Not because they genuinely care about the subject.

Doomkid said:

"social Darwinism"

The only people who ever use this term seriously are psychopaths excusing their own horrible unethical behavior.

Remember that bullying doesn't stop even when you're adult. There are other bullies, called narcissists, that undermine every effort you do. Along with that, they outcast you from other workers, shove the blame on you and worst, probability getting fired if they are in higher stool than you.

These persons definitely need to be rooted out, but it can require lot of effort to do so. And they can be dangerously cunning too.

CorSair said:

Remember that bullying doesn't stop even when you're adult. There are other bullies, called narcissists, that undermine every effort you do. Along with that, they outcast you from other workers, shove the blame on you and worst, probability getting fired if they are in higher stool than you.

These persons definitely need to be rooted out, but it can require lot of effort to do so. And they can be dangerously cunning too.

It definitely seems to follow into adulthood. Malcontent people that are envious, or who feel threatened will try to sabotage you. They are found in every social setting, from work, to even friend circles sometimes. They're not only narcissists, but also extremely insecure. I cut ties with one of my friends for over ten years, because I realized this person was actually my enemy secretly. He would be sarcastic, and then taciturn at awkward times. But he was too much of a coward to be confrontational with me up front. People will take advantage of the patience you have with them. That's why you must cut the bullshit immediately.

CorSair said:

Yep, There will always be assholes in this world.

CorSair said:

one just shot and killed seven people... he threw coffee on couples. that is assault, and bullying.

Hehe, you crazy Americans. You know how we fight bullying in Mexico? We don't.

By far the biggest fear I had when I was a kid when it came to fights was not the actual fight itself, but the repercussions it would have in the office. Seriously, fuck the stupid rules set by the American school board. Encouraging the bullied to "play the victim" and not stand up for themselves.

I've never been bullied as an adult. Taunted or heckled maybe, but nothing too much to be easily countered with a comeback.