Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
marxr

Sky question

The problem is bad tiling. Make a sky that tiles.

The easiest way is to copy your existing image, mirror it horizontally and attach it to the original. It won't look very good though. Unfortunately, "make pretty" button doesn't exist, some image editing skills are requred for better results.

plums said:

Cool, are you making a ZDoom map? GZDoom/vanilla/other?

ZDoom, mapping in ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format). So the sky can stay pretty much the same size, i guess thats what you want to know. I've used night sky previously with stars and that looked pretty awesome, blue sky with clouds is much harder to make.

Solid Snake said:

ZDoom, mapping in ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format). So the sky can stay pretty much the same size, i guess thats what you want to know.

Size, and palette too. That image is probably going to look like crap in the software renderer due to banding etc. I can have a go at improving it later if you want.

For now, here's a horizontally tiling version. It's a little smaller than the original because I did some fading between edges. Lemme know if this works for you. I might try spreading the clouds out a bit, right now it looks a bit funny to me.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/on9skbnx2lc08dd/skyb1.png#

Some cloud positions should be changed a bit too i think, looks a bit strange like this. And vertical tile. Thanks for your work.

Speaking of skies, (sorry if I'm jacking your thread) but I was curious if anyone had any comments on getting the correct perspective on a horizontally tiling sky. Obviously something like this wouldn't make for a very good sky, despite the blue sky and clouds being visible, its shown as if the player were staring straight up.

anyway I tried my hand at making sky textures from scratch and while i can make some convincing cloud formations, is have trouble drawing cloud formations that shrink as they appear more distant. You can't really use a vanishing point like you would in any other point perspective drawing because you need it to tile horizontally and not make the sky look like the interior of a tent in the shape of a 4 point star. I've tried looking at panoramic photos of skies for reference and those tend to look really distorted at times too, and wouldn't make very good sky textures for doom.

i know how to manipulate a photograph to make it tile horizontally, but at this point manipulating existing photos is the only way i know how to get it to look like something that doesn't suck.

Sorry for interrupting your thread but, you know how the skies in doom 2 have buildings (Earth Maps) and Red skies and hills (Hell Maps)? I tried doing that in a wad but it just looked like a ceiling with a sky texture. What do I do?

To make a correct sky, you must use the F_SKY1 flat on the ceiling, nothing else.

Particular sky textures are hardcoded depending on the map (MAP01-11: SKY1, MAP12-20: SKY2, MAP21-32: SKY3). You can change it via a Boom sky transfer linedef action, if you're mapping in a Boom format. Or you can change the sky via MAPINFO, if you are mapping for ZDoom.

If you still have trouble, ask for further instructions after telling me the map format which you're using.

Actually I'm Maping in Skulltag (Doom in Doom) format. And I'm still having trouble. Sorry.

Hehe, the same format I've been using when I started mapping. ;)
But you should know that it's a very disadvantageous format. First, if you actually still use Skulltag as a port, get rid of it in favor of Zandronum, which is Skulltag's continuation project, while Skulltag is not being developed anymore. The Skulltag (Doom in Doom) format doesn't offer most ZDoom's functions (Skulltag and Zandronum are ports based on ZDoom), nowadays the "ZDoom: UDMF format" is considered the most advanced and most appropriate format for maps that are made for a ZDoom-based port. "Boom" format is for Boom-compatible maps, and "Doom 2" format is meant for compatibility with the original engine (vanilla).

Now to your problem:

Well, since you're using this format, you should have both possibilities I've mentioned: sky transfer, and MAPINFO. First, sky transfer: Select one single-sided linedef in your map, and give it an action "Transfer -> Transfer Sky Texture To Tagged Sectors". Let's say you want the map to use SKY2. Set "SKY2" as the upper texture of the linedef, and give tag 0 to the linedef. Then, all sectors with F_SKY1 ceiling and with tag 0 in your map will use the SKY2 sky texture properly.

If you want to use MAPINFO (preferable choice for a ZDoom / GZDoom / Zandronum project), you should learn how to use it here. Generally, the Doom wiki and ZDoom wiki are good sources of information, I can recommend you to get accustomized to use them. :)