Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zombi

Best WADs/MegaWADs With New Enemies

Hello all,

Simple question:

I really like playing WADs or MegaWADs with new enemies...you know, to change things up a tad.

Which ones would you recommend?

Thanks.

If you're after slaughtermaps, you can try Survive In Hell (Boom megawad). It contains a .BEX patch with some custom enemies, which mostly appear in later levels. I haven't personally enjoy the wad much, probably because I don't like slaughtermaps, also many of the maps are author's earlier works and therefore not so impressive. However, I don't doubt that JC was trying hard and put thought and effort into his maps, and his 2012 maps are very noticeably better than his 2008 ones.

EDIT: Be sure to check TCs if you just want a change from regular Doom monsters and gameplay: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Category:Total_conversions

Superluigieth1 said:

Epic 2.

Heh, the enemy in there is a reskin of the Wolfenstein SS: always a bit silly to see the obituary "o% met a Nazi" when one kills you.

A good portion of my wads I've released replace enemies using DeHackEd, so you could always check that out. Visions of Hell would probably be worth keeping an eye on as well.

Stronghold is an awesome one, that is if you're okay with "non-classic Doom" gameplay.

Scythe 2 is the only one I can think of that truly improved the stock bestiary. Both afrits and plasmadicks fill functional niches, they fit thematically, they're fun to fight and they work in various scenarios both as solo monsters and as parts of armies.

The vast majority of custom monsters are either overpowered bosses (bleh), or silly recolours with an uninspired (danmaku-style, usually) secondary attack and beefed up health.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that someone thinks plasma marines fit thematically. I've always thought they were very inappropriate, like deathmatch players suddenly appearing in a single player level or something, it just seems bizarre and nonsensical to me. But I guess you could explain them as dead marines possessed by demons or something.

I respect Strain and I like starting playing it from the first map but eventually it gets a little too wacky for my taste. Weird strafing imps, new advanced lost souls, stronger demons: ok, cool. Mechanical flying robots: ehh, acceptable I guess. But mini cyberdemons, BFG troopers and so on: that's too much for me, it crosses the line imo.

Memfis said:

I'm kind of surprised to hear that someone thinks plasma marines fit thematically. I've always thought they were very inappropriate, like deathmatch players suddenly appearing in a single player level or something, it just seems bizarre and nonsensical to me. But I guess you could explain them as dead marines possessed by demons or something.

They are supposed to resemble DM players, Erik said so. :) Also they aren't posessed, they're marines who defected to the side of evil. They're meant to be as tough and fast as you.

Ok, I have to admit I judged the 2nd half of Strain without playing it that much. Today I actually sit down and went through maps 16-22 or so with a friend in ZDaemon and they weren't that much crazier. They are still great oldschool levels. So I guess I like Strain more than I thought.

I'm going to toot my own horn here and recommend you play The Great Bicycle Mystery 2 with 1-4 other players. I made the maps when I was in high school. Worst-vd-plas contributed a few bits and pieces and he also engineered a new bestiary to stand alongside the old Doom monsters. You will want to play in ZDaemon, Zandronum, or ZDoom. It's not really a jokewad, but it doesn't take itself too seriously either. It's supposed to feel like a ridiculous adventure with friends.

Just make sure to talk to the Wendy's cashier, then go behind the counter and talk to him again so he can send you on a quest.

UAC Ultra added a decent mid-level boss monster that appears throughout the second half.

dobu gabu maru said:

I really enjoyed the enemy additions to Lunatic.

Same here.

dobu gabu maru said:

I really enjoyed the enemy additions to Lunatic.

I remember them as satisfying to fight, even though they weren't as challenging as they could have been - their actual attack (plasma stream, revenant missile) was a decent threat, but they didn't absorb much damage and their attack preparation time was really long. But maybe that's actually why they were satisfying to fight... :)

Memfis said:

Ok, I have to admit I judged the 2nd half of Strain without playing it that much. Today I actually sit down and went through maps 16-22 or so with a friend in ZDaemon and they weren't that much crazier. They are still great oldschool levels. So I guess I like Strain more than I thought.

I've started up Strain several times, but it bored me to quitting it everytime before I got past say the 4th or 5th level. If I'm not mistaken, they are no new enemies by that point. I don't like using the codes and skipping levels unless I'm doing UV Max runs. I may give it another go.

EDIT:I see what happened. I'm using skulltag and my version doesn't have different enemies.

Ashstrodamus said:

EDIT:I see what happened. I'm using skulltag and my version doesn't have different enemies.

Yep, the new enemies start on level 2, so you definitely had something odd going on :)

Too much of STRAIN is switch-hunting for my tastes, especially in the later levels.

You need to load both strain.wad and strain.deh. If you don't know how to do that, here is a version I made with dehacked inside. (I needed it for hosting a ZDaemon server because apparently you can't load a separate deh file there).

I never liked the scythe 2 extra monsters that much. I guess they work in terms of gameplay, but they just seem a bit too obviously hacky.

I think my favourite new monster is actually

Spoiler

the redrawn icon of sin in Plutonia 2

...if that counts.

dew said:

They're meant to be as tough and fast as you.

IIRC if you actually make a monster as fast as the player in dehacked, you get something that makes the scythe 2 evil marine look slow and thoughtful.

Not many wads add monsters in a way that feels like it fits into the canon Doom universe. I'll second Scythe 2 (or third, or whatever we're up to at this point).

Jenesis also adds a nice zombie that fits in well with everything else. Zombies in general ought to work well as new additions, but you don't see a ton of them.

Also, if you don't mind something on the ZDoomy side, Zaero is pretty good and has four or so more monsters (rocket zombie, marine zombie, cacolich, and afrit, I think).

Not Jabba said:

Not many wads add monsters in a way that feels like it fits into the canon Doom universe.

I've often wondered if anyone has attempted extrapolating a "Doom 3" along the same lines that Doom 2 built upon Doom 1; in particular, adding a handful of new monsters to the existing Doom 2 bestiary. I've seen lots of WADs use the Realm667 stuff, but a lot of those are either just modified Doom sprites (which D2 did with the Hell Knight, I realize) or stuff that doesn't quite jive with the original aesthetic.

Memfis said:

You need to load both strain.wad and strain.deh. If you don't know how to do that, here is a version I made with dehacked inside. (I needed it for hosting a ZDaemon server because apparently you can't load a separate deh file there).

Appreciate it my man. I've run across several wads that don't behave like they are supposed to for whatever reason. I think it was Momento Mori that was trapping arachnatrons in the walls and I played many levels before I realized something wasn't right.

j4rio said:

I despise scythetwo's plasma marines and afrits with passion.

Afrits were cool, but Evil Marines felt too random and out of place to me. DVII's Hell Clerics seemed way better in that regard, even if they're not filling the same gameplay niche at all.

I really liked the plasma dudes in Scythe 2. maybe some different sprites would fit better though. gameplay wise those guys always scared the shit out of me and were pretty fun to fight imo