Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Civ

Teleporters in Doom Builder

Recommended Posts

I recently began work on a WAD, and in the very first section, I use a teleporter. Until this point, I didn't realize that I have never used a teleporter in one of my WADS before this.

So, I set it up, changed the appropriate properties, and after some trial and error, even followed a few guides online on how to do it.
Although, I keep running into one problem. I step into the teleporter, and about 20% of the time, it will play the teleportation animation and sound, yet I will remain in the same spot.

Note that this only happens about 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time, it will work fine. Also note that the problem used to be even worse than it is now. It used to screw up just about every time I would enter it, but I have fixed it slightly.

Any ideas on what to do?

Share this post


Link to post

Your lines should have the teleport action set and a sector tag assigned to them. The sector you want to teleport to should be given that same sector tag, and in addition, must contain a teleport destination thing to pinpoint where the object being teleported will go exactly.

is it possible that you're tagging the sector with the same number as the teleport lines that make it up? Something like that would result in it teleporting you to basically where ever you were just walking.

I hope I explained it clear enough. If you're still having trouble, let us know, we'll get your teleport to work.

Share this post


Link to post

this sounds like the random teleportation problem whenever you do not specify the correct destination.

this will make the linedef teleport you to sector tag 10 holding the destination thing.

A teleport linedef : sector tag 10
a Sector with tag 10 : holding a teleport destination thing

However if there are more then one sectors with the same tag holding a destination, it will do a random teleport to any one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
FireFish said:

However if there are more then one sectors with the same tag holding a destination, it will do a random teleport to any one of them.


whoa I've never heard of that. I've never tried before though. Is there a map that confirms this?

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the help so far. I'll be sure to try some of this stuff later. (have to go to a family members birthday). I'll be sure to tell you if it works or not.

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

whoa I've never heard of that. I've never tried before though. Is there a map that confirms this?


Every map i ever made around 2007 when i first started mapping for doom 2 that held a transporter did this because i always forgot to fill in the tags on the linedefs. by example i might have had 4 teleport destinations with a sector tag of zero and multiple linedefs refering to sector 0. I mainly used zdoom based ports back then*

Share this post


Link to post

Does that work in vanilla? I tried to do random teleports for a contest map idea once and it just utterly failed.

Share this post


Link to post

For random teleports, check Roger Ritenour Phobos (MAP01). Though it needs speed improvement, such as, for example, surrounding a monster with 8-16 linedefs formed as a circle.

Share this post


Link to post

Multiple destinations definitely won't work in vanilla, only one teleporter destination will always be used (probably the one with either lowest or highest ID).

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×