Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clonehunter

The Cult of Slenderman Rises

Wow, Slenderman was a great game. Too bad some wack-o decided to take things seriously. You have to think that parents should really be monitoring how kids decide to spend their recreation time, to make sure they know from a young age reality from fantasy.

I blame video games. Well, these particular video games. Nobody with good taste would care for the whole Slenderman thing, so what happens when you make a horror game designed to appeal to stupid people? Stupidity, that's what. Mark my words, soon we'll see one of those Terry kids killing another child by stuffing too many dildos into their ass.

Yeah I just saw that this morning. I wasn't sure it would make national news, but its pretty interesting. I also wasn't expecting it to be Slenderman to be the reason for it.

"slenderman, the alleged leader of creepypasta"

riveting.

How about, instead of monitoring your kid's internet activities, you monitor their irl activities? It's not that they read a creepy story on the Internet, it's that they are dangerously detached from reality. We had Bloody Mary when I was a kid, somehow I doubt anyone ever got stabbed over it. But moreover, you can't tell me these were perfectly fine, well-adjusted kids who got so screwed up because of a story they read on the Internet that they decided attempted murder was a swell idea.

geekmarine said:

But moreover, you can't tell me these were perfectly fine, well-adjusted kids who got so screwed up because of a story they read on the Internet that they decided attempted murder was a swell idea.

I find the reasoning behind their killing bizarre, though. The fact it had to do with some sort of ritual bound in the blood of another. That's crazy shit right there.

My friends and I tried to summon Pokémon into the world during the initial 90s fad. No human lives were put into jeopardy.

Coopersville said:

My friends and I tried to summon Pokémon into the world during the initial 90s fad. No human lives were put into jeopardy.

I did the whole Bloody Mary thing when I was 11. Didn't work. No one was stabbed.

Time to actually play Slenderman. I wonder if TF2's Slenderman mod is hopping now.

This story happened an hour north of me.

So the kids are clearly nuts and some short story clearly didn't make them do this. And parents should pay more attention to their kid's mental health than their media habits. And many "news" media like to fear monger and twist things for the sake of ratings and not accurately report things.

Is it really worth pointing out? They've been known to do this for decades. I suppose in principle that it's worth calling them out for bad reporting, but it's kind of tiresome at this point; anyone with half a brain knows that stories like these are full of shit and know that it can be safely ignored. The time to worry is when legislators start to take stuff like this seriously.

I knew Slenderman was the spiritual successor of Charles Manson. It all makes sense now.

Ah yes, this story.

They must be clinically insane.
I mean, look at that soulless look in their eyes. The remorseless blank face.

Just like the remorseless (literally) blank face of the Slender Man.

I guess they're trying to emulate their idol.

This is the type of stuff that makes you scared of having kids, y'know?
"What if my child turns into a mass murderer, and worse, the public'll blame their mental condition on me!"

Where are the parents? What are they doing? Wouldn't you notice something was up when you children begin to mention/idolize/entertain a faceless stalker who kills people?

Why does such creepypasta tripe get such a fanbase?

Next up we will probably have morons carving their eyelids and mouths out and then attempting to go on a killing spree (before fatally realizing you don't last very long in such a condition) or running around with a mask on whilst attempting to eat organs or some weird shit like that.

mrthejoshmon said:

Well, when I first heard of this Slenderman gig and way before creepypastas became stereotypical and bad, it had a feeling of mystery to it. Ever since that "Slender" game went mainstream, the mythos' fanbase exploded and it turned pretty bad from then on out.

Next up we will probably have morons carving their eyelids and mouths out and then attempting to go on a killing spree (before fatally realizing you don't last very long in such a condition) or running around with a mask on whilst attempting to eat organs or some weird shit like that. [/B]

Knowing people, this shit will totally happen.

mrthejoshmon said:

Where are the parents? What are they doing? Wouldn't you notice something was up when you children begin to mention/idolize/entertain a faceless stalker who kills people?

Next up we will probably have morons carving their eyelids and mouths out and then attempting to go on a killing spree (before fatally realizing you don't last very long in such a condition) or running around with a mask on whilst attempting to eat organs or some weird shit like that.

I remember when the first Twilight movie came out, there was an archive on the hundreds of Twilight related crimes, including stabbings and murders. No one bats an eyelash.

Crasger said:

Well, when I first heard of this Slenderman gig and way before creepypastas became stereotypical and bad, it had a feeling of mystery to it. Ever since that "Slender" game went mainstream, the mythos' fanbase exploded and it turned pretty bad from then on out.

Slenderman didn't really interest me that much, it just didn't even seem even remotely real in the slightest (which killed the 2spooky4me factor instantly).

Knowing people, this shit will totally happen.

It probably already has.

geo said:

I remember when the first Twilight movie came out, there was an archive on the hundreds of Twilight related crimes, including stabbings and murders. No one bats an eyelash.

I actually never knew about any of that...
I don't want to sound like a sick bastard or anything but is this archive available for reading anywhere?

geo said:

Duuh, not video games. No one cares about the affects of a teen drama or bad vampire fan fiction. There's not enough money in reporting that, supposedly. The real cash flow is calling out the untamed internet.

mrthejoshmon said:

Slenderman didn't really interest me that much, it just didn't even seem even remotely real in the slightest (which killed the 2spooky4me factor instantly).

Some of the stories involving the Slender Man aren't really "scary" per se, but some were pretty good reads.

I do not know what the average intelligence is of all those writers and people claiming video games create murderers and rapists or violent insanity... But do they even read what they write ?

age ratings.
There is a reason why these age ratings exist, by example a child aged 12 should not play on a game rated 18+ unless the parents know it and are capable of noticing its effects on their child.

drawings and 3D models are not humans.
You never kill a human, you never assault a human, you do not even kill
monsters. such drawings or a 3D models are just representations similar to something you know. It is mind exploding when adults start to call it humans.

Slender man is a horror game, by all means be a good parent and make a child play slender man... and then blame the game. That child clearly had mental problems before it stabbed somebody thus parents should have monitored her more. it even is a very simplistic horror game...

Side note, I find Slenderman incredibly interesting - not the stories themselves, but the fact that we know for a fact Slenderman is an invention of the Internet. From the very beginning, there was never a doubt that the whole concept was just made up to make a scary story. I don't even wanna use the word hoax, because that implies anyone involved was actively trying to deceive people into believing these stories were true. Everyone knew going in that the stories were made up just to be scary stories - and yet despite all that, for some reason, Slenderman has still taken on a life of his own, still become a symbol of fear for some, a mondern-day boogeyman. I'm just very interested in how something so clearly made-up has so much sway over some people. How do you get yourself worked up over a story you know for a fact was just made up to scare you? I mean, we've always had ghost stories and whatnot, but it used to be, they were told in such a way that you never really knew for sure - with Slenderman, you can Google his origins in a second or two.

Clonehunter said:

I do not believe Slenderman had an official ESRB rating, or even a fake Wolf3D style rating.

But the same principle applies. I was going for the bigger picture behind all this without focusing one one single game.

So wait, this shit is real? I read about it on kotaku yesterday, with people that claiming this story was fake...

What a sick world...

Really hope those two 12 year old girls get some serious psychological help instead of a 65 year prison sentence.

I've noticed almost everyone is referring to Slenderman as a game, it wasn't first known as a game, more like a series of pictures and stories instead.

Slenderman just seems like mothman and every variant urban legend crammed into a ball of lame. I never got the appeal. If you're willing to kill in the name of something that doesn't exist then what the fuck. Its about bad as the system that's going to process them for their crimes pretending it gives as much of a fuck about preserving human life as they did taking it.

Aliotroph? said:

I can't read anything about this without picturing an Enderman.

That's because they were inspired by the Slenderman.