Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Has Brutal Doom made Doom popular with the masses again?

In short to the question presented in the title: Yes and No, some decide to just play only Brutal Doom, others were opened up to Doom because of this mod, and we've yet to see if those will contribute anything to this old and expansive community.

But the former is really what the masses are going for.

Brutal Doom mostly attracted the Modern Military Shooter crowd by essentially turning Doom into an MMS with extra gore. The MMS crowd is one that we don't want mixed in with the people who actually care about Doom, particularly the ones who create an account just to whinge about how Brutal Doom doesn't work since they don't know how to use a damn source port.

TotalBiscuit's video is rife with misinformation, by the way. He claims Brutal Doom was made by "only one guy", for one.

I think it actually brought the Steam/Valve FPS crowd instead; the MMS crowd arguably came more because of RGH and the like

IMX said:

I think it actually brought the Steam/Valve FPS crowd instead;

Well I'd never have thought of them as being assholes. It's more likely that we brought the former in with Brutal Doom.

Why do we have to discuss Brutal Doom all the fucking time, jesus christ.

Does Brutal Doom go well with fries? Will Brutal Doom improve my test scores? Why does my copy of Brutal Doom make a constant whining noise like a broken radiator? Do you think Brutal Doom has made the doom community ~60% more annoying?

I actually miss Doomguy 2000. His trashy zdoom wads were, in hindsight, much more interesting than the current generation.

Ehk. I really hate getting into Brutal Doom talks. As for most of "The masses" that tried out Brutal Doom, they seem to have just played it for awhile and then moved on.

BD does have a few fans that really love it, and in my personal experience they haven't been very friendly or very intellectually-minded. Just my personal experience, I'm sure there are polite and smart BD fans around.

I'm not even going to talk about Sgt. No dang thank you.

Anyway, place your bets! If we keep going on, will this post get helled?

Grain of Salt said:

Well, topics like that pop up. I'm getting tired of it, too. But these are things that need to be discussed sometimes.

Hasn't this thread topic existed several times before, presented in multiple ways?

Personally, I find Brutal DOOM to be a mere temporary diversion when I feel the need to vent my anger and frustration. Not what I would chose when I'm in the mood for playing DOOM in a serious manner. Brutal DOOM is an ok mod and all, but it strays so far away from DOOM that it becomes something entirely different. It strikes me as a sort of strange mutation of modern gaming and DOOM. And I am not a fan of the sound department, it is so damned inconsistent in terms of quality and those loud-as-hell screams and taunts get on my nerves fast.

Grain of Salt said:

I still read BD threads in hopes of great drama or spectacular displays of stupidity, but it's all becoming too ranty and judgemental. People come in with prepared lengthy arguments and stances, cheered by their own side and drawing blank stares or vocal contempt from the opposition, like it's the US interventionism being discussed. The topics are also getting increasinly meta, because everything's been said several times already. Here's one for a poll: How many angels can dance on the head of Sgt. Mark's perpetually stroked dick?

dew said:

How many angels can dance on the head of Sgt. Mark's perpetually stroked dick?

None, because he's already eaten them all alive.

I think yes and no, while it attracted a small fanbase and gave Doom some spotlight time because of some popular Youtube people, but few move outside of the little community for it. A bit like Megaman Deathmatch. I've seen a few that abandoned Doom and started to get into it again because reviewer X mentioned BD, though.
As long as they aren't annoying about things, BD fans don't bother me. If they choose to play Doom like that, let them, they aren't forcing anyone to abandon the ways of old, and nobody should dictate how other people plays. It's about fun, not "what's right" or not.

Personally, I think Brutal Doom is not bad. It's juvenile and cartoony, but it isn't different from any weapons/enemies/gameplay mods. You just toss it in when you want something different, that's the point.
I had fun with it for a while, honestly. I've been with Doom since the very start, and I love it in its purer form, but it's nice to change things once in a while. There's such a large variety of gameplay mods that are just fun.

And, who knows, BD is not that old, we might find a group of people growing up from it and becoming valuable community members and modders. Quite optimistic I know, but I have seen stranger things happen during these 20 years-and-a-half of Doom.

Doomkid said:

Hasn't this thread topic existed several times before, presented in multiple ways?

So I've gathered.

Can we discuss how the OP is named "hardcore_gamer", and how this all to perfectly encapsulates brutal dooms fan base and their thought process?

TheMionicDonut said:

Can we discuss how the OP is named "hardcore_gamer", and how this all to perfectly encapsulates brutal dooms fan base and their thought process?

... Well, OP never told anyone that Brutal Doom was good or bad on the thread, I would say that he asked a totally reasonable question.

Also, regardless of whether he is a BD fan or not, OP has been registered on here since well before BD was released. All of my usernames from 2007 were pure hell put inside a can and then roasted at 415 degrees for thirty minutes.

Linkrulezall said:

Brutal Doom mostly attracted the Modern Military Shooter crowd by essentially turning Doom into an MMS with extra gore.

Brutal Doom has very little in common with MMS's. Only the riffle and the shotgun have iron sights, and you don't even use the iron sight on the later. Most of the time I don't use it on the former either.

MMO's don't have you fighting in the open either.

What it did was spreading the title of the game 'DooM' on modern forums and gaming websites after it was rusting in place as a classic retro game mostly to be mentioned by retro gamers and nostalgic people.

Doom has always been a modding hub of all sorts and sizes so this is nothing unexpected or weird.

To put this into perspective i would implore people to look at arma and its survival mod day-z. people buy arma and many do not even play it, they play day-z.

Look at brutal doom as an extension of doom its life-time within the ranks of the young gamers.

Grain of Salt said:

I actually miss Doomguy 2000. His trashy zdoom wads were, in hindsight, much more interesting than the current generation.

I've talked to Doomguy 2000 quite a few times on skype recently, and I assure you he's preparing something big. I'll leave it at that.

Linkrulezall said:

Brutal Doom mostly attracted the Modern Military Shooter crowd by essentially turning Doom into an MMS with extra gore.

How has it turned into a MMS?

Doominator2 said:

How has it turned into a MMS?

Iron sights...
shouting out expletives...
realism.

The works.

Linkrulezall said:

I've talked to Doomguy 2000 quite a few times on skype recently, and I assure you he's preparing something big. I'll leave it at that.

Never thought I would anticipate a Doomguy 2000 work. Guess I've just elevated up to a higher level of artistic appreciation.

And weed jokes.

Crasger said:

Iron sights...
shouting out expletives...
realism.

Reloading weapons.
Quick melee button.
Bloody screen! So real.

Megamur said:

Reloading weapons.
Quick melee button.
Bloody screen! So real.

Only thing missing is health regen and monochromatic color pallete.

Why Sgt Mark hasn't added that yet I will never know.

Of course Brutal Doom has made Doom more popular. It's stylistically closer to modern FPS games and can be downloaded for free. That being said, the Brutal Doom community represent CoD more than anything and have little to no knowledge about the true Doom - nor would many of them care to find out.

Crasger said:

If he wanted to make Doom Brutal, he should have put an hour Impse loop at the end of the game.

Doominator2 said:

If he wanted to make Doom Brutal, he should have put an hour Impse loop at the end of the game.

Someone needs to make a similarly named brutal doom pk3 with just that to piss off the MMS crowd.

Crasger said:

Actually, there was health regen too, up until the latest version.

Doominator2 said:

I smell a new berserk pack/demon strength fatality...