Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Grasstex (Doom textures with grass tops)

Grasstex contains edits of 22 stock Doom2 outdoor textures with a grassy top. Each of these 22 comes in several variants of texture height and slope.

There are 3 versions of the pack. Vanilla version has only textures 128 units tall, because of an engine limitation. Boom version adds textures 255 units tall (for taller walls), which however cannot tile. ZDoom version doesn't have 255-tall textures, instead it has 4096 units tall textures for extremely tall areas. ZDoom even allows these to tile properly. Also, the textures are written in a ZDoom-specific text based TEXTURES lump, not in a standard TEXTURE1.

Final /idgames link: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?file=graphics/grasstex.zip

Feel free to use these textures for whatever purposes you want. I hope you'll find them useful.

scifista42 said:

Boom version adds textures 255 units tall (for taller walls), which however cannot tile.

Why not 256? Is there a limitation I don't know about?

Da Werecat said:

Why not 256? Is there a limitation I don't know about?

See esselfortium's post here.

Ummm. Can I suggest doing a bunch of textures with the grass along the bottom edge as well. They look really good though.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Ummm. Can I suggest doing a bunch of textures with the grass along the bottom edge as well. They look really good though.

Thanks.

There's a "bottom grass" midtexture in the pack, perhaps you can use it close to a wall - it would also solve tiling issues. If anyone thinks that bottom edge grass for particular textures should be added anyway, let me know. I would personally not want to do it, because I imagine the tiling problems, uncomfortable aligning (for the mapper), and the textures not being worth an usage.

joe-ilya said:

Why does the grass textures have that grass thing too? It's pointless.

I took various outdoor themed textures, and some of the brown ones also had their green variants. So I told to myself: Let's give them grass as well, perhaps it will come in handy.

My intention, why I started to make these textures, was an idea of a Minecraft inspired Doom mod, basically a classic Doom shootage in grassy, rocky and blocky outdoors and undergrounds. Knowing myself, I wouldn't manage to make it done. I usually prepare resources and then abandon the concept. Even now, I already have prepared some weapons, monsters, textures and ideas for such a mod. But I better just release what I can, instead of adding to the heap of scrapped content that lies on my hard drive. :)

Okay, from tomorrow on I'll be out of the internet for several days, but I'll still have a computer with Doom stuff to work on. So I ask, should I make all the bottom grass textures anyway, or is the one transparent middle texture good enough, or even better? (the texture represents low bottom grass as itself)

KYKA?

That's actually pretty cool. I look forward to having the opportunity to use these and jettison the "painted-on grass" effect that typically happens when you try to do a grassy cliff of some description.

Bonus points for actually thinking about the slopes.

Version 2 is up.

====================================================================

DOWNLOAD v2: http://www.sendspace.com/file/jdkaio

====================================================================

It adds texture variants with a strip of grass on the bottom.

Warning: This is handled differently in each of the separate packs (vanilla, boom, zdoom).

Vanilla pack now has each texture in a top-grass variant, bottom-grass variant and top-and-bottom grass variant, all 128 units tall. Plus the sloped top-grass variants.

Boom pack contains 255 units tall textures, in a top-grass and top-and-bottom grass variants only. Plus of course the sloped versions.

ZDoom pack has those 4096 tall textures, only one basic variant, which has a grass strip on both top and bottom. And well, sloped variants with grass on the top.

If you find problems, or if something bugs you about this pack and you want to suggest improvement, please report it before I upload the pack to /idgames. Also you can leave a reply if you're going to use the textures, so that I know I didn't make them for nothing. Thanks for the responses so far. :)