Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

I give you the first ever "let's map Doom" series!

Recommended Posts

There are a million let's plays on youtube for all kinds of games including Doom. But I don't think there are any kinds of "let's map" videos out there where somebody actually goes through the whole process of making an entire map from start to finish while recording it to put it on youtube later for others to watch. Or at least I don't know about any for Doom.

So, I decided to do something about that. I give you, the first ever "Let's map Doom series" series ever created!



Now, I am not going to claim that I am some kind of an expert mapper or that there aren't any people who would probably be able to do this much better than me. I merely wanted to create a let's map series for Doom because I found it disappointing that one doesn't appear to exist anywhere. So hopefully this will start a trend, or something :)

Anyways, the first video in the series is basically an introduction where I talk about myself as a mapper and how I feel maps should be made (I know this is entirely subjective, this video merely gives my own opinion). The next part will give a breif overview on how I feel the monsters in the game should be used in maps, and in part 3 the actual mapping will probably start.

Also note that while I understand english, I just can't speak it well at all :( Because of this I will be speaking in my own native tongue while adding english subtitles.

Here is part 1:



Part 2:



Part 3:



I hope it isn't awful :(

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty cool, but you could at least try speaking english, even if it comes out with a thick accent and bad grammar it's still easier to read subtitles. But neat idea, good luck with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Solid Snake said:

Pretty cool, but you could at least try speaking english, even if it comes out with a thick accent and bad grammar it's still easier to read subtitles.


lol no. I have tried speaking english and it just sounds terrible. You don't want to hear me try, honestly :)

Share this post


Link to post

This is great, keep it going! :)

I'm glad for subtitles. I actually prefer text tutorials (I know this is not a tutorial) over voice, even if the video was spoken in my own native language (which is Czech). In addition, I really hardly comprehend spoken English. So your video was very comfortable for me to follow.

I have mapping experience so I don't have to be explained mapping basics and all the things I am basically aware about (also from countless mapping discussions on the forum) - but I find your video interesting anyway, as you talk about your own approach to design etc. More people could do videos like this. I'm specially curious how some really top talented mappers would approach it.

So, thank you for what you're doing.

Share this post


Link to post

Subscribed, sunshine. I'll have to agree with the English speaking part, but it's your video so I say present it however the fuck you want to present it. It's quite an interesting concept so I'll be pleased to see some more and maybe even some "Co-op Let's Map" type of videos.

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

There are a million let's plays on youtube for all kinds of games including Doom. But I don't think there are any kinds of "let's map" videos out there where somebody actually goes through the whole process of making an entire map from start to finish while recording it to put it on youtube later for others to watch. Or at least I don't know about any for Doom.


Pretty much everyone in the speed mapping sessions streams and saves their map making. I guess they're not on youtube though so it doesn't count?

Share this post


Link to post

I'm guessing the idea is to explicitly describe the map being made, reasons for making certain decisions etc, getting more of an inside scoop instead of just watching someone in the act.

Share this post


Link to post
Tarnsman said:

Pretty much everyone in the speed mapping sessions streams and saves their map making. I guess they're not on youtube though so it doesn't count?


Or maybe he just didn't know about them and where to find them?

Share this post


Link to post
Ribbiks said:

I'm guessing the idea is to explicitly describe the map being made, reasons for making certain decisions etc, getting more of an inside scoop instead of just watching someone in the act.


based on the other thread, I think yes this ^

Share this post


Link to post

This could be useful to create video tutorials on how to map for the beginners, but then you might have to do more then play a slideshow.

----
Side note ; please note that this is not a flame, or an insult !
----

hardcore_gamer said:

lol no. I have tried speaking english and it just sounds terrible. You don't want to hear me try, honestly :)


This always interested me with the english speaking public on videos and movies. Maybe it is because the rest of the world grows up on subtitles but to me it is almost unimaginable to picture somebody unable to read and watch at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Springy said:

It's quite an interesting concept so I'll be pleased to see some more and maybe even some "Co-op Let's Map" type of videos.


I am not sure how a co-op let's map would work. I guess it could work if more then one person uses the same computer and make the map together while giving suggestions to each other. That would actually be very interesting to watch.

FireFish said:

This could be useful to create video tutorials on how to map for the beginners, but then you might have to do more then play a slideshow.


The only reason for why the first part is a slideshow is because it's purpose was merely to talk about myself and how I make maps. This meant there was no actual need to record anything other then my voice. Future vidoes of actual mapping will be recorded live.

Speaking of which, anyone knows about any good recording software for this? I don't think fraps can record Doom Builder.

Tarnsman said:

Pretty much everyone in the speed mapping sessions streams and saves their map making. I guess they're not on youtube though so it doesn't count?

Olympus said:

Or maybe he just didn't know about them and where to find them?


Yea I simply wasn't aware of them. I only really use youtube.

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry for the delay, I have been doing other things. Well part 2 is finished, and in it I talk about the Doom monsters and how I feel they should be used in maps.



The next part will be shorter but similar and be about the Doom weapons. I know I said mapping would start at part 3 but I think I should talk a bit about the guns first.

Share this post


Link to post

i think the fatso and arachnotron belong in the same tier.

revenant hordes can be effective if implemented correctly. rockets/ bfg can easily dispatch them.

Share this post


Link to post

Zombie type enemy = ammo. thats include the zombieman too.

Share this post


Link to post

Part 3 is done. Sorry for the long wait I have been doing other shit. This part isn't very long and is about the weapons. Yes I know I said I had changed my mind about doing an episode on the weapons but I did not really have the time for anything longer for the time being. Mapping will start on part 4.



Feedback is welcome as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
hardcore_gamer said:

Feedback is welcome as usual.

In my opinion it's good that you're starting this way, explaining basics about use-able game objects, and I agree with the balance / usage points you make. It would work well for a complete beginner - who, if he wanted, could skip these intro videos anyway, and continue straight to the actual mapping parts (yet to come).

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×