Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 60 seconds

Is this necessary? It's not like the forum is under a heavy spam attack or anything. This thing is especially annoying for people who post demos in the demos forum and then link to them in the wads&mods forum.

Well it definitely does prevent spam.

One day... one day some idiot will come here and try to spam us. When he does, he won't be able to.

There already have been spam attacks in the past. Thankfully, the 60 second interval immensely slows anyone's attempt down.

Memfis said:

Is this necessary?

Is it that long to wait?

There are bots and spammers around these forums I imagine would love to take advantage of having it disabled. No, Doomworld is not under 24/7 spam attack, but the 60 second delay is what helps keep it that way.

So yes, it is.

Memfis said:

Is this necessary? It's not like the forum is under a heavy spam attack or anything. This thing is especially annoying for people who post demos in the demos forum and then link to them in the wads&mods forum.

It's a sensible precaution, since there are times when there's no-one about who can deal with a shit-poster, so the 60 second delay does at least slow them down. Nambona890's spam attack in April being a case in point.

It also seems to have the effect of rendering spam attacks amusing, if Nambona890 is anything to go by. It was kinda irritating, sure, but he never managed to get to a volume where it became problematic.

I don't even see why this is considered a problem. It's not like you have to wait all that long or have to do some crazy captcha tomfoolery.

I have no problem with the limit, it's a good thing to prevent spam.

This limit apparently applies to sending PMs as well. I experienced it when sending multiple similar (not exactly same) PMs to several people (regarding a mapping project). It bugged me a little, but I understand the purpose of the limit, and can deal with it when I need to send multiple PMs once an aeon. PM spam should be probably prevented as well.

I do not see any problem with this because most people would never post that much in such a short time anyways. Fast posting usually leads to broken sentences and badly phrased opinions leading to flaming or unintended agitation. That is why i by example edit my posts so much because i always notice mistakes or badly phrased sentences.

I think its strange for private messaging.

FireFish said:

That is why i by example edit my posts so much because i always notice mistakes or badly phrased sentences.

I like how this forum handles editing posts. It's not time-limited anyhow, and if you edit your post in less than 5 minutes after sending it, it happens without notification. If it takes you more than 5 minutes, a message "Last edited by [username] on [date+time]" appears under the post. I also often edit my posts immediately after posting, to correct phrasing or to add something I forgot to mention, in fact I did it with this post too, to add this sentence. :p

There's just the inability to delete posts, which would come in handy sometimes, but that's also a thing possible to deal with.

scifista42 said:

I like how this forum handles editing posts. It's not time-limited anyhow, and if you edit your post in less than 5 minutes after sending it, it happens without notification. If it takes you more than 5 minutes, a message "Last edited by [username] on [date+time]" appears under the post. I also often edit my posts immediately after posting, to correct phrasing or to add something I forgot to mention, in fact I did it with this post too, to add this sentence. :p

There's just the inability to delete posts, which would come in handy sometimes, but that's also a thing possible to deal with.

the problem with users deleting posts would be the following ;
person A posts : you are a 'censored' piece of 'chips'.
person B posts : Listen you censored 'chips' i will 'lemon' you.
many other persons jump in to flame.

Person A deletes his post, and acts as if the others started...
the wrong people get losered.

I don't like this feature, and other forums get away without it (I think ZDoom lacks this).

Bloodshedder said:

it's to slow down your shitposting

The boss said his words, is this enough of an answer?

I think it's to stop people like me - I often have several tabs open just for Doomworld when I'm visiting, and things could probably get ugly if I were allowed to reply to the threads open in all of my tabs at the same time. Yeah, I admit, I got a problem. Bad enough how frequently I accidentally post to the wrong thread 'cause I get my tabs mixed up. Sorry for ruining for the rest of you.

printz said:

I don't like this feature, and other forums get away without it (I think ZDoom lacks this).

Having moderated the ZDoom forums for a year or two, that wasn't a good thing.

60 SECONDS?! Unacceptable, we all need to live life in the fast lane!

But srs its a good spam precaution, just scratch your foot or twiddle your thumbs to pass the 40 seconds or so you have to wait. We can make it through this, everyone!

It's pretty sensible and protects from spam.

Speaking of which, is Doomworld really impenetrable from spam bots or was there a time the security was breached?

I've only had the minor annoyance of having to wait a handful of times in the past several years. A small price to pay for what it gives us in return.

40oz said:

I think its strange for private messaging.

I suppose a determined spammer could abuse the Buddy List system to spam via PMs.

I dont really see enough posts that i have an opinion on for it to bother me too much... I never even knew there was a 60 sec limit. huh.

I do find it annoying if I'm posting an FDA in the demos forum and then trying to post a message linking to that FDA. But if it cuts down on spam, and I'm sure it does, then that's a small price to pay.