Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schmerr

Is Doom GBA worth it?

Solid Snake said:

i really digged the music on gba ports, i don't know why, it's just sounds different and cool, very minimalistic.

I really disliked most of the original GBA Doom's music, aside from the almost totally redone Demons on the Prey, which I wish someone would make a MIDI/remix of (with a less abrupt ending) for use in WADs.

Doom II GBA had significantly better music, and I actually preferred some tracks over the PC MIDIs, most notably The Demon's Dead, which had more pronounced drum work.

Joe667 said:

*Peeks out from behind desk*

I... I thought it was an okay game...

I never said that it sucks, just that it's sub-par and that there are better alternatives.

Megamur said:

Doom II GBA had significantly better music, and I actually preferred some tracks over the PC MIDIs, most notably The Demon's Dead, which had more pronounced drum work.

Isn't that more of a sample difference? I thought that GBA Doom 2's music were just straight ports of the PC midis.

Sodaholic said:

Isn't that more of a sample difference? I thought that GBA Doom 2's music were just straight ports of the PC midis.

I'm not sure. It's possible, but something seems different about the actual composition. I'm not very knowledgeable about music, so I can't say with any sort of certainty.

Doom 2 GBA's music seems like the original MIDIs just run straight through. whether they were any edited or not i can't say. Doom GBA's music, on the other hand, sounds like something went SERIOUSLY wrong: they can't have been based off of the original music at all, but sounds like someone who have opened a tracker for the first time, then somehow fucked up the tempo badly. seriously, what the hell happened there? O_o

edit: actually, on closer inspection, some of the drum-tracks seems to be ever so slightly different in GBA Doom 2: if you take Dave D Taylor Blues, for example, if you discount the samples being different (the kick sounds like a TR-909), the drum pattern has been altered slightly, possibly to account for the new kick (which would probably hurt your ears if it played like it does in the original). other than that, though, it seems to be more or less identical.

edit 2: Opening to Hell seems to be missing the pitch-bend on the whistle instrument; although, porting from MIDI, i wouldn't discount that a few MIDI commands would be lost in the process.

what i find interesting is that the game seems to have tracks like Opening to Hell in it. wasn't everything past The Chasm cut out of the game?

Megamur said:

I really disliked most of the original GBA Doom's music, aside from the almost totally redone Demons on the Prey, which I wish someone would make a MIDI/remix of (with a less abrupt ending) for use in WADs.

Yup, Doom 2 ones are better.

Guest Unregistered account

Everyone said:

TEH MUSIC IS SUCKS!

*COUGH COUGH* GBA Doom II Icon of Sin *COUGH COUGH*

Seriously, listen for more than a minute. Just... listen.

Yeah, sorry guys. :/

Joe667 said:

That version is even better i'd say, much more atmospheric and creepier.

If it was 2003, you never played Doom in your life, and you didn't have a proper computer to play it on, I'd say it'd be worth it, but since I'm sure that's not the case, then I guess not. (I say this from experience)

Well all I can say about this version of Doom that it made me feel nauseous after 10 minutes, whereas the original version I'm fine. I dunno.

Has anyone ever noticed how some versions of the Doom and Doom 2 boxes contain the "Only on Game Boy Advance" label?

@Joe667

Why do you keep putting words in others' mouths? I only ever said that GBA Doom 1's music sucks, I think GBA Doom 2's music is great. Do you even read people's posts? Nobody in this thread said anything remotely negative about GBA Doom 2's music prior to your post, yet you claim that "everyone" said it did, pointing everyone to a track of a game that they had no complaints about the music.

TBH i really did not enjoy the gba version of either doom's, but meh some people like it, i really wouldn't getting the gba versions unless you are collecting

Guest Unregistered account
Joe667 moronically said:

Yeah, sorry guys. :/

Sodaholic said:

Has anyone ever noticed how some versions of the Doom and Doom 2 boxes contain the "Only on Game Boy Advance" label?

i think it's just standard protocol for all the GBA games released here. i guess it makes more sense when you think of it like this, that the game data on the cart is exclusive for the GBA (because the GBA port wouldn't be available on, say, the PSX or N64.) it's silly, though, i agree, which is why i prefer the Japanese boxes better: http://japanesetease.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DSC_0002.jpg

Doomhuntress said:

i think it's just standard protocol for all the GBA games released here. i guess it makes more sense when you think of it like this, that the game data on the cart is exclusive for the GBA (because the GBA port wouldn't be available on, say, the PSX or N64.)

Or older Game Boy models, like the original and the Color. Because while the GBA can play GB and GBC games, and they're all "Game Boys", it's not true the other way around.

So a sticker that says "only for Game Boy Advance!" might be able to make Grandma pause and consider calling Timmy's parents to know whether little Timmy's Game Boy is an Advance or not before buying his Christmas gift. (For bonus points, Grandma buys the game anyway and Timmy actually had a Game Gear.)

Average said:

I also liked the Ecks Vs Sever games and Duke Nukem Advance too if you're looking for other playable FPS's on the GBA. :)

Serious Sam Advance would be nice, if not for the frame rate.

I must say I do find the GBA renditions of Doom II's music pretty damn impressive considering.

I had the chance to finally play Doom II on GBA recently. Interesting but ehhh. I feel almost like I did back when I played SNES Doom. I first played the PC version so there wasn't anywhere go go but down from there lol.

I own Doom for the GBA and I have to admit, while it's not great by any means, it does have some neat iterations of its own.

As stated, it has various brightness levels, and one of the options is to have full, static lighting at all times, as if you've got a permanent light amplification visor. It certainly makes some of the maps easier, but was really a response to the original GBA having a very dark screen.

The music, though shifted down by one (i.e. E1M2's theme plays on E1M1, etc.), actually sounds kind of cool. It's different from any other version of Doom I've heard, and in a good way. E1M2's theme, for example, is a bit heavier on the bass and seems faster paced in general. Probably my favorite aspect of GBA Doom.

It has some unique deathmatch maps that have not been officially released on any other version of Doom.

It's not great, but there were worse ports.

Doom is worth it. There was a similar topic recently and I replayed all of it at that time.

The real interest is seeing how its different. Different levels things taken out. Lacking bosses and green blood. While I can't say it beats a laptop with doom if a gameboy advance is all you have then its worth it.

Duke advance feels fresh. Completely new game even if it doesn't feel as open as the original duke 3d.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it. Don't get me wrong, it isn't bad. But it's just not worth it.

Now you might want to look into some Castlevania games. They're really enjoyable.
You may also want to try some of the usual Pokemon games or try the Summon Night games if you like story heavy action RPGs.

You could also consider DragonballZ Legacy of Goku 2 ( Legacy of Goku 1 sucks.

If you like SRPGs and don't want something hellishly difficult, you could try Final Fantasy Tactics Advance or Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis.

P.S: Sorry for the ranty and off-topic post.