Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireFish

The quake players thread.

Quake is another great game made by ID software and also a classic which...
defines what first person shooters would become in the world of full blown 3D rendering. And on a forum where DooM is god,
and ID the creator of a god i guess quake could fit in to. Post your favourite engine to play it, favourite mods, your joys and your despairs. This is QUAKE !

currently i play quake using the QuakeSpasm engine because it absolutely renders the graphics in such an authentic feeling way that the moist,
damp, rusting castles and swamps keep their convincing atmosphere as intended.

On top of that i am playing trough classic and renowned expansion mods of which i personally think them to be more atmospheric and more fun then the original.

My absolute favourite (for now) is Soul Of Evil :

Full size : http://i.imgur.com/0M2WT0s.png

Full size : http://i.imgur.com/zucRT1L.png

Full size : http://i.imgur.com/ADbDn1H.png

Full size : http://i.imgur.com/KMgK1Nh.png

And one which irritates with its difficulty and traps is Zerstorer.
A classic mod which uses cutscenes to tell the story inbetween the maps.

Full size : http://i.imgur.com/JKZKgz0.png

My quake album on imgur which i might update with screenshots now and then : http://imgur.com/a/eC3gi

I enjoy DarkPlaces quite a bit all modded out for HD (so many great mods for enhancements), but QuakeSpasm is also really cool for a classic feeling. I have a few others as well, but I tend to go to QuakeSpasm.

I've only ever played one custom map a few years ago, don't remember what it's called. I just know it was like a factory or something, starts you off outside in a parking lot by a semi truck. It was intriguing.

I do not know why, but i just can not get a sense of atmosphere considering modern rendering systems,
Almost none of the modern HD or high resolution rendering engines seem to be capable of even remotely giving me the feeling
that i am walking in a damp, rusting environment with old wood... or even deserts and canyons...

this is a reason why many modern games tend to lose me after a while.
But darkplaces is a master piece of adjusting an ancient engine, because once you have seen Xonotic running at maximum graphics you start to think it surpassed the id-tech 4.

example of xonotic running on my pc :
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t488/frognap/xonotic/nice_C_zpsa7556380.png

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t488/frognap/xonotic/xonotic-7-s1-almost_max_graphics_zps104d9943.jpg

----
this is my imgur quake album which mainly is receiving screenshots of
my progress trough Soul Of Evil

http://imgur.com/a/eC3gi
----

I've been trying to get good and neat with brush editing so I've been mapping allot for Quake. Those damn curves I just can't figure out. Darkplaces is my engine of choice though, with rlights it makes the world that much more bizarre and otherworldly. Some of Quake's community maps are fantastic.

Aaah yes, Quake, my first true FPS love...

As far as engines go, I like DirectQ. It retains the original look while fixing flaws of id's GLQuake (i.e. proper use of overbrights). However, its most astonishing feature, in my opinion, is performance. It's the only engine I know which can render dynamic lighting on my shitty Intel card without FPS drops. I'm still amazed at how the author achieved that effect.

As for levels I can recommend:

- Nehahra mod (A continuation of "Seal of Nehahra" machinima - a 3 hour long movie rendered entirely with Quake engine!)
- Zerstorer - it was mentioned by the OP. I recommend it due to a rather unconventional ending :D
- Beyond Belief - a map set very similar to id Software's episodes

I like Quake and i enjoy it a lot,my favorite mods are Soul of Evil and it's sequel, the expansions and Troyinn's map packs.
And for engines i used Fitzquake, but now i use QuakeSpasm for classic graphics and multiplayer and DarkPlaces for Single Player Quake,Expansions and that's it.
And i had a lot of fun playing it but also i couldn't finish the game because i didn't understand what to do until i found that the floating mine teleports you to it's position.
And there were some annoying parts such as the final boss, the zombies and the scrags because the zombies can only be gibbed and the scrags are hard to hit.
But in overall i do still play Quake and i will keep playing it until i master its levels.
However i can't forget about Doom because that is another of my favorite games.

I know it's no where near as versatile or as advanced, but I always like Chasm: The Rift more than Quake, in terms of Singleplayer. Quake had fun Deathmatch, though. The anti gravity level was perfect with friends

Clonehunter said:

I know it's no where near as versatile or as advanced, but I always like Chasm: The Rift more than Quake, in terms of Singleplayer.
Quake had fun Deathmatch, though. The anti gravity level was perfect with friends

Some things will always be difficult to explain to others in case of 'why do i like this more ?' ways of thinking.
By example i am certain there would be people breaking their head over the fact that i claim quakespasm its authentic looking rendering convinces
me for one hundred percent that the environments are damp and wet canyons or rusting iron constructions while no modern renderer can give me that feeling.

J.B.R said:

And there were some annoying parts such as the final boss, the zombies and the scrags because the zombies can only be gibbed and the scrags are hard to hit.

What about spawns? One of the most annoying monsters in FPS history! It jumps very quickly so it's immediately in your face, has a melee attack, but explodes after death so you have to make an effort to move away from it (which isn't that easy) before shooting.

Regarding multiplayer - have any of you guys ever tried (or still play) Quakeworld? It was always more popular than Quake here in Europe, but I know that Americans often prefer normal Quake for reasons I cannot really understand. I'm talking strictly about multiplayer of course.

I have never in my entire gaming life touched or even played Quake multiplayer trough Quakeworld, in 1998 i would have been 10 years old in a time where most people still did not know what the internet was or if it even existed.

and before somebody attempts ; this is a fact out of plain reality... only by the time windows XP came out around 2003 you could truthfully claim the internet started to become wide spread enough to state that most people would have know about it, but still not have it by default.

And i find this a noteworthy addition to this quake thread !

I've been meaning to reinstall Quake, haven't played it in a while, but wasn't sure about which ports. Darkplaces didn't really do it for me last time I tried it, and didn't run so hot on my old PC anyhow.

I'll check out QuakeSpasm. Does it do overbright in GL mode?

Quake is probably my favourite FPS for atmosphere, the weird mix of themes somehow works really well and the original low-res display lent itself well to the grimy, rusty look. It's also the first game I played where you had such freedom of movement, which is something I always love in games. However I think Doom has better gameplay; the vores and the spawns were both annoying enemies, the weapon balance in Doom is better, the lightning gun is nowhere near as fun as a BFG (for single-player at least), and the bosses suck.

On that note, I love the Trent Reznor soundtrack, and have never really heard anything like it. Anyone have any recommendations? The closest I've found are a pair of albums by an experimental musician called Jeff Greinke, Cities In Fog 1 & 2. They're not quite as dark but they give off a similar mood. Here's a track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MZV77TDjkQ

I used to play Quake DM a fair bit, was never really good at it but it was fun. I do like the Quake series a lot more than Doom for competitive games.

FireFish said:

this is a fact out of plain reality... only by the time windows XP came out around 2003 you could truthfully claim the internet started to become wide spread enough to state that most people would have know about it, but still not have it by default.

I fully agree. I started playing multiplayer games with Quake 2 in e-cafes on local area networks. As far as online gaming goes, I don't think I truly started it before 2004 due to the constraints you mentioned - the Internet access was not a common commodity before that time.

I tried Quakeworld VERY late, because Quake 3 was definitely already on the market and I'm not so sure that Quake 4 wasn't there already as well.

plums said:

I'll check out QuakeSpasm. Does it do overbright in GL mode?

Yes, it does. Give it a try!

Patrol1985 said:

the Internet access was not a common commodity before that time.

And to top that it was slow, expensive, and seen as a total waste of time luxery with no seemingly interesting goal other then the business ventures on there.

I wish there was a source port for Quake which had an actual software mode as well as supported folder music, folder music because since I no longer have a Quake disc with the actual music on it I have to use a music folder within the data folder with ripped tracks in it, Dark Places does support folder music but unfortunately it has no software mode, I've grown tired of GL mode.

Avoozl said:

I wish there was a source port for Quake which had an actual software mode as well as supported folder music, folder music because since I no longer have a Quake disc with the actual music on it I have to use a music folder within the data folder with ripped tracks in it, Dark Places does support folder music but unfortunately it has no software mode, I've grown tired of GL mode.

1. Pick a port of your choice
2. enter console (~)
3. type: GL_TEXTUREMODE GL_NEAREST

There you go :D

Patrol1985 said:

What about spawns? One of the most annoying monsters in FPS history! It jumps very quickly so it's immediately in your face, has a melee attack, but explodes after death so you have to make an effort to move away from it (which isn't that easy) before shooting.

Oops, i forgot about that one, but there is one that is more annoying:Hell Spawn.
However it only appears in Dissolution of Eternity but still it's very dangerous.

J.B.R said:

Oops, i forgot about that one, but there is one that is more annoying:Hell Spawn.
However it only appears in Dissolution of Eternity but still it's very dangerous.

I know, but hell spawns were few and far between in DoE, whereas episode 4 of vanilla Quake featured a whole level populated mostly by spawns ("Pain Maze" or something like it). I have a love/hate relationship with that level.

Patrol1985 said:

... vanilla Quake featured a whole level populated mostly by spawns ("Pain Maze" or something like it).

That map is damn irritating. pop up out of the water and they explode in your face, walk around the corners and there they are again...
and when you think you killed hem all new ones literally spawn. I did not enjoy that map to say the least, and i recently played trough that again....

Recently started playing quake with darkplaces and today i created my first square beginner map for quake 2 since i have that installed on my computer and gtkradiant supports it.

FireFish said:

That map is damn irritating. pop up out of the water and they explode in your face, walk around the corners and there they are again...
and when you think you killed hem all new ones literally spawn. I did not enjoy that map to say the least, and i recently played trough that again....

It's a total bastard for Spawns, and so is the next one.

you played trough those two nightmares they call maps like a owning boss. subbed to the channel. :)

Nice skills there BaronOfStuff! What client do you use? Was that the official GLQuake.exe? Looked like it.

Also, why do you play with GL_flashblend set to "1"? It always looked awful for me :P

FireFish said:

you played trough those two nightmares they call maps like a owning boss. subbed to the channel. :)

Thanks, and I hope you're patient between uploads; I'm pretty terrible at being consistent with content (recently went through a lazy five month gap).

Patrol1985 said:

Nice skills there BaronOfStuff! What client do you use? Was that the official GLQuake.exe? Looked like it.

Also, why do you play with GL_flashblend set to "1"? It always looked awful for me :P

Was using FitzQuake (http://www.celephais.net/fitzquake/), it's pretty much GLQuake with general bugs and bits of uselessness fixed although it's since been superseded by QuakeSpasm (http://sourceforge.net/projects/quakespasm/). As for GL_Flashbend, I didn't even check the settings when I started recording -- it's the default for some dumb reason. When I (eventually) get around to Scourge of Armagon & Dissolution of Eternity, it'll be set to 0.

While I really do like Quake, I never really got into the RJ'ing and Bunnyhopping side of things (and it shows). I've always played it like "Doom with Mouselook", only jumping when required by level design and ignoring most of the 3D movement possible (such as shortcuts) within levels.

I do not know why, but all these quake episode names official and non official all sound so interesting, atmospheric, mystical... actually i can not describe how it sounds or reads to me.

Quake
Scourge of Armagon
Dissolution of Eternity
Abyss of Pandemonium
Soul of evil
The Seal of Nehahra
Zerstorer

Together with the gothic style damp rotting wood and rusting metal feeling, they realy create a unique tone for this game. I wonder if this would still work in a modern game concept, as all modern games start to sound like cheap B rank movies to be popular and hip.

FireFish said:

Together with the gothic style damp rotting wood and rusting metal feeling, they realy create a unique tone for this game. I wonder if this would still work in a modern game concept, as all modern games start to sound like cheap B rank movies to be popular and hip.

The major publishers nowadays want their serious games to be serious. Doom 4 is the only upcoming "serious" game that I know that isn't afraid of including a few fanciful, pulpy elements. Doom could be called "Attack of the Cyborg Mutant Robo-Demons - from the Hell Dimension" and the title would fit just fine. Aside from that, I don't know if the comparison between triple-A games and B movies really fits. EA and Activision have a lot more in common with the Hollywood machine, spending massive amounts developing and marketing just the safest bets, and mixing a bit of fantasy in your sci-fi is apparently seen as a risk. You can see this in the Thief reboot, for example - everything pulpy, endearing, and interesting about the world was stripped away.

Now let's forget about setting for a bit, because I have a different question. Is there a market, even a small market of indie fans on Steam, for a brand new shooter on an engine like Quake's?

Giving your game a "retro" aesthetic seems to work great for platformers, top-down RPG's, and Minecraft, however you choose to categorize that. However, I can only think of a few shooters released in the last decade in the Wolf3D-to-Doom tech range (most of them freeware and based on the Doom engine) and I can't think of any new 3D shooters with a low-polygon presentation besides Wrack, which isn't making any money. Is there a possible shooter with chunky, count-the-polygons models and simple environments that would actually get people to open their wallets? Also, are Quake fans even all that likely to buy a Quake-level game if it came out? After all, there are already thousands of high-quality Quake mods you can play for free if you're into that kind of thing.

Although i was referring to the concept together with the titles and not the graphics, I think it could take many years before low polygon 3D could become a novelty factor or Beautiful again
in the eyes of those whom never grew up together with them. The last thing i knew about with low polygon models where nintendo ds games, the texturing just hides that a lot.

Although, it remains alive in the hobby scene where forums like polycount have more then a few very talented low poly modellers. But in a time where young gamers do not
know the difference between a graphical style and bad graphics it would be a coin toss. But there have been a number of retro styled 3D shooters which have retro aesthetics in the indie scene.