Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joe-ilya

Doom II had a preused texture?/Doom2 beta discussion.

Look at the brick texture, it has those marble masks, what's the story behind that?
This is the only size I found of it.

BaronOfStuff said:

Placeholder patch from Doom, that's all.

I'm quite dissapointed they didn't leave it like that because honestly, it looks cool.

joe-ilya said:

From steam.

Yep - it's there too. Probably still somewhere on idsoftware.com but no longer readily accessible, so here's one I grabbed from the Internet Archive. The texture appears to be based on STONGARG in Doom but there's also obvious differences, for all I know it might only be a temporary placeholder for an unfinished texture.

Notice anything unusual about the BFG's ammo count?

(319x239 - 43k)

The BFG has used cell ammo since the press-release beta, so it's very weird.

Isn't it possible that the screenshot was taken right after missing the BFG shot? Since there's 0 cells left the player would switch to the chaingun possibly.

Cacatou said:

Isn't it possible that the screenshot was taken right after missing the BFG shot? Since there's 0 cells left the player would switch to the chaingun possibly.

Nope, the HUD number for ammo isn't updated until the selected weapon is in its 'raise' state. Besides which, unless it wasn't implemented when that screenshot was taken, the game would have switched the weapon to Super Shotgun, not Chaingun. I think they just pasted the BFG sprite onto a general screenshot just to show it off, and possibly make that mysterious new monster look more dangerous.

Very likely. Considering he managed to land a screenshot that far into its attack without fire in his face. The archvile might not even be the correct size for how far away it is. Also there appears to be some jpeg like dithering. Id software you sneaky dog!

40oz said:

The archvile might not even be the correct size for how far away it is. Also there appears to be some jpeg like dithering. Id software you sneaky dog!

Looks like it may well be a doctored screenshot. I wonder if they borrowed the status bar from this shot, which is also on the Doom 2 retail box.

(319x239 - 39k)

GreyGhost said:

The texture appears to be based on STONGARG in Doom but there's also obvious differences

It looks like BIGBRIK2 with the gargoyle face on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same STBAR for every early promotional shot, although I'm not sure why they'd have to.

40oz said:

The archvile might not even be the correct size for how far away it is. Also there appears to be some jpeg like dithering. Id software you sneaky dog!

The Vile seems fine for the distance, but compare it directly and it's clearly a very rough sprite from its early stages:

As for the flames, chances are that they weren't finished yet. Or they were spawning directly under the player, and unable to be seen.

GreyGhost said:

I wonder if they borrowed the status bar from this shot, which is also on the Doom 2 retail box.

https://www.mediafire.com/view/?xfbha947l7v73b4]

Yes, the status bar was taken from Romero's batch of Industrial Zone screenshots. You can see the original sequence here:

joe-ilya said:

I also notice white outlines on the AV, so it's an edited picture?

It's just a less-refined version of the Arch-Vile. The following screenshots appear to exhibit the same iteration of unfinished sprites, also indicating the fire was already drawn but just not visible in that particular frame:

Although they might not seem too different, the rough nature of the new monster sprites at this point in development is most obvious in the Revenant:

The Industrial Zone screenshots are from doom2pcx.zip which, according to the readme, originate from "John Romero's DOOMII demo during the Austin Virtual Gaming Tournament on June 18th" (1994).

The Arch-Vile and Revenant screenshots are from issue #5 of Interactive Entertainment Magazine, the full contents of which may be found archived here.

You can check out additional findings in my old Doom 2 pre-release thread. I am confident that more Doom 2 beta images exist out there in their original pcx format, including all of the screenshots on the back of the box, but they've proven difficult to track down.

Revenant100 said:

The Arch-Vile and Revenant screenshots are from issue #5 of Interactive Entertainment Magazine, the full contents of which may be found archived here.

Arachnotron, uses chaingun, dies to 3-4 rockets
Mangu, dual plasmarifle, dies to 3 rockets
Revenant, dies to 3-4 rockets
Arch-vile, uses lightning blast that hits like BFG (80dmg), dies to 7 rockets

Thanks! :)

interesting thread, i sw that sscreenshot yeeears ago in da internet and i found it very strange because of the gargoyle face in that texture. It should be easy to edit tough.

That doctored status bar shot reminds me of similar doctored shots in a preview (?). Monsters floating, embedded in walls, placed in levels they're not actually found in the game.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Whoa! The early revenant is a lot scarier. I think maybe making a dehacked patch for the early revenant would be cool.

I see similarities between this:

and