Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
marxr

Horror mods/TC-s for doom engine

I was wondering today if anyone has made a horror mod or TC for doom engine, i think it's not impossible because i've seen a few really good horror games that are creepy as hell and use a engine similar to doom engine and even inferior to ZDoom. Imscared for example: http://gamejolt.com/games/other/imscared-a-pixelated-nightmare/10058/

So has anyone made a horror game for ZDoom or even vanilla doom? It would be awesome to play one. Any info is appreciated.

Avoozl said:

I don't know if Ghoul's Forest would count.

Just watched some lets play of it, looks really awesome and scary as hell. I think i'll try it out.

Horror is a bit of a vague term.

Resident Evil is one type, where your running from and being hunted by zombies. Corridor 7: Alien Invasion is another, a wolf engine FPS with atmosphere and floating eyeballs.

Ghoul's Forest III

Asylum of the Wretched (FIRST release version without the night vision goggles/other dumb changes)

Happy Time Circus II

Nightomb

Vermil said:

Horror is a bit of a vague term.

Resident Evil is one type, where your running from and being hunted by zombies. Corridor 7: Alien Invasion is another, a wolf engine FPS with atmosphere and floating eyeballs.

Resident evil type for me it's not horror, basically doom is from the same pot in terms of that style. Never played Corridor 7 but i think you mean something like slender and ghouls forest 3 by that, that's scary as fuck for me.

Thanks for all your replies guys, didn't think there's so many horror mods for doom, will try them out.

CeeJay said:

There's this old gem: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?file=levels/doom2/v-z/zombies.zip

Keep in mind that it was made in '95 or '96 and really shows it age. Still, it was very ambitious for its time. There weren't exactly that many DOOM mods out there of this caliber back then. Not to mention no source ports, few and crappy editors, etc.

Thats a nice TC, played it actually a few days ago when i saw it mentioned in doomworld fb group. However it's not that horror im looking for, im looking for stuff like previously mentioned ghouls forest and slender type scary shit, because this kind of stuff really makes you jump from your chair. Anyway zombies is still an awesome TC for its time and if it was done today i think it would be scary as hell as well.

Solid Snake said:

Thats a nice TC, played it actually a few days ago when i saw it mentioned in doomworld fb group. However it's not that horror im looking for, im looking for stuff like previously mentioned ghouls forest and slender type scary shit, because this kind of stuff really makes you jump from your chair. Anyway zombies is still an awesome TC for its time and if it was done today i think it would be scary as hell as well.

Know what you mean, it's probably not possible to make any thing scary like that in vanilla and still difficult to accomplish (successfully) with any port given the limitations of the core engine. Scripted events, sound effects and moody lightning all play a part. I don't think graphics (images, sprites, etc.) play as a big a part as one would believe.

DOOM is, was, about creeping atmosphere, action and disturbing imagery. DOOM was creepy as hell back in the day (pardon the pun) when it was new and no one had seen anything like it. Now it comes off as pale and even cartoony, how times have changed.

CeeJay said:

Know what you mean, it's probably not possible to make any thing scary like that in vanilla and still difficult to accomplish (successfully) with any port given the limitations of the core engine. Scripted events, sound effects and moody lightning all play a part. I don't think graphics (images, sprites, etc.) play as a big a part as one would believe.

DOOM is, was, about creeping atmosphere, action and disturbing imagery. DOOM was creepy as hell back in the day (pardon the pun) when it was new and no one had seen anything like it. Now it comes off as pale and even cartoony, how times have changed.

Excactly, first time i played doom 2 i was maybe 8, and i was scared shitless. Took me maybe 30 minutes to complete the level first time.

All I can think of (that hasn't already been mentioned) is wads that do it wrong.

There's 7869, which was out-and-out garbage on all fronts. There's also Ao Oni Doom, which ends up being a ~160 MB file packed with LE MAYMAY garbage that clashes horribly with the intended tone. And finally, there's the first Happy Time Circus, which is much better than the ones I previously mentioned but turns less scary and more like a bad acid trip about halfway through.

Spooky Caves (http://bit.ly/1kQRU9t) was pretty scary, but not for the right reasons. I would say that Caverns of Blood/The Inescapable Cavern was the most genuinely unsettling wad I've ever played, but I can't link it since someone's clutching at straws to find any possible excuses to remove terrywads despite them having their own theme now it was removed.

Linkrulezall said:

All I can think of (that hasn't already been mentioned) is wads that do it wrong.

There's 7869, which was out-and-out garbage on all fronts. There's also Ao Oni Doom, which ends up being a ~160 MB file packed with LE MAYMAY garbage that clashes horribly with the intended tone. And finally, there's the first Happy Time Circus, which is much better than the ones I previously mentioned but turns less scary and more like a bad acid trip about halfway through.

Spooky Caves (http://bit.ly/1kQRU9t) was pretty scary, but not for the right reasons. I would say that Caverns of Blood/The Inescapable Cavern was the most genuinely unsettling wad I've ever played, but I can't link it since someone's clutching at straws to find any possible excuses to remove terrywads despite them having their own theme now it was removed.

I have heard a creepypasta about that 7869, wad was probably based on that creepypasta if im not mistaken, that was pretty creepy pasta, and the level is really disturbing. I'll look into other wads you mentioned. Btw that caverns of blood was a terrywad?

Jaws In Space said:

Try this one http://vectorpoem.com/arcadia/ is called Arcadia Demade, it's based on a map from Bioshock, & is one of most atmospheric Doom maps I have ever played.

wow, this was something, atmospheric as hell and really creepy in a way, that revenant trick in the beginning creeped me out, at first i thought there was so few monsters but they were placed so well and were really hard to kill. And that Romero's head ending hahahah. Also dat music. Thanks for this find.

Solid Snake said:

I have heard a creepypasta about that 7869, wad was probably based on that creepypasta if im not mistaken, that was pretty creepy pasta, and the level is really disturbing.

Disturbing? Maybe if you consider Doom with no music or enemies to be disturbing. Oh, but we can't forget about the google image searched dead things and dongs! Oooooh 3spooky5me

Linkrulezall said:

Disturbing? Maybe if you consider Doom with no music or enemies to be disturbing.

That's basically the kind of game he's referring to when he says "horror game." Gamejolt is SATURATED with them (though it still manages to have a good variety of other games, fortunately), and they all boil down to 3D Monster Maze with less monster and more jumpscare.

Closest you'll get with the Doom engine is the Happy Time Circus games and the Ghoul's Forest games. And even THEY actually have gameplay, unlike the average Slendergame clone.

EDIT: I forgot about Unloved, which does an excellent job with horrific atmosphere and telling an unsettling story with level details alone.

Linkrulezall said:

Disturbing? Maybe if you consider Doom with no music or enemies to be disturbing. Oh, but we can't forget about the google image searched dead things and dongs! Oooooh 3spooky5me

I mean the images of dead men and animals and that music. If you'll play it the first time without having heard the creepypasta and except some normal level it can be pretty creepy i think.

Impie said:

That's basically the kind of game he's referring to when he says "horror game." Gamejolt is SATURATED with them (though it still manages to have a good variety of other games, fortunately), and they all boil down to 3D Monster Maze with less monster and more jumpscare.

Closest you'll get with the Doom engine is the Happy Time Circus games and the Ghoul's Forest games. And even THEY actually have gameplay, unlike the average Slendergame clone.

EDIT: I forgot about Unloved, which does an excellent job with horrific atmosphere and telling an unsettling story with level details alone.

I'll try out that unloved, i see it has been mentioned before but i missed it.

Linkrulezall said:

I would say that Caverns of Blood/The Inescapable Cavern was the most genuinely unsettling wad I've ever played, but I can't link it since someone's clutching at straws to find any possible excuses to remove terrywads despite them having their own theme now it was removed.

I've never played this one, so I'm curious. What makes it so unsettling? I'm tempted to try and find it, but knowing its association with terrywads doesn't imbue me with much confidence in its quality.

Hellish Godzilla said:

I've never played this one, so I'm curious. What makes it so unsettling? I'm tempted to try and find it, but knowing its association with terrywads doesn't imbue me with much confidence in its quality.

You can find it here: http://area34.com/newstuff/ (ctrl+f "cavbld"). The atmosphere alone is generally rather creepy, wandering around the twisted corridors of this cave with the Doom 64 ambiance playing in the background, strange things happening around you that you can't find the reason for, and the anticipation of some kind of trap all add together to make this wad quite unsettling, at least for me.

Linkrulezall said:

You can find it here: http://area34.com/newstuff/ (ctrl+f "cavbld"). The atmosphere alone is generally rather creepy, wandering around the twisted corridors of this cave with the Doom 64 ambiance playing in the background, strange things happening around you that you can't find the reason for, and the anticipation of some kind of trap all add together to make this wad quite unsettling, at least for me.

That does sound pretty compelling. I've downloaded it, so I'll give it a shot when it's light out.

Took a look at that Rootpain WAD that SCT linked. Or rather, I read the thread and watched Xaser's video on it. Between the WAD and the thread, it's like a creepypasta played out in real life - for better and worse. I regret spoiling myself and not playing it before diving into the controversy.

On a side note (and somewhat off-topic), I'm starting to wish Hellcore Map32 had been properly finished. I know it was integrated into that one level in 2.0, but on its own, it had massive potential.

Hellish Godzilla said:

On a side note (and somewhat off-topic), I'm starting to wish Hellcore Map32 had been properly finished. I know it was integrated into that one level in 2.0, but on its own, it had massive potential.

I had grand plans for map32, the entire layout was complete on paper.

The idea of the level was actually quite unique. There was going to be a single super monster that stalked you and was nearly unkillable.. this idea is overdone today with Steam and all those hunted style horror games, I still have all the old diagrams/plans.

I actually started remaking Map32 years ago both for DOOM and for Zombie Panic Source, too bad real life got in the way and for what I wanted to do I just didn't have the time.