Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geekmarine

Doom weapon wishlish

One of the only things I found disappointing about Doom II was the inclusion of only one new weapon. Call it a quirk of mine, one of my favorite things in shooters is discovering all the new toys you get to play with. Now, don't get me wrong, the arsenal in Doom was really solid, and I understand the principle of, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," especially when you factor in deathmatch, where adding new weapons can seriously affect the balance of the gameplay. Nonetheless, the modding community has clearly demonstrated that we love our guns.

This may almost seem kinda pointless, as now you can donwload virtually any gun you can imagine for Doom, and then some, but I think it'd be fun to discuss weapons we wish had been added to the game in the first place.

For myself, I can think of two or three additions off the bat that I have wanted since I first played the game. One, I'd like a flamethrower, and it's always one of the first things I create whenever I feel like messing with Dehacked. Next up, homing missiles. Finally, and this to me is the big one, I've always wanted something along the lines of the Archvile attack. Ever since the first time I got blasted by that bastard, all I could think was, "God DAMN it'd be so friggin' awesome if I could return the favor and blast a monster to oblivion. I guess the BFG already offers pretty much what you'd get - massive damage, long charge-up, consuming tons of ammo - still, I think it'd be really cool to blast demons with whatever the heck that fire blast is.

I've always wanted a weapon that you would bounce off walls so could you hide around the corner and ambush your enemies, something similar to a grenade launcher or the Ripper from Unreal Tournament.

As always, a kind of sniper rifle or slug mode for the shotgun -shooting one, accurate, heavily damaging projectile instead of a spread.

Desert eagle, 44 magnum or some heavy handgun or revolver like this, it would be awesome if a handgun packed a serious punch in doom, handgun will be useful then for sniping for example or when you just need to pack a punch like shotgun's but are low on shotgun ammo or something.

Maes said:

As always, a kind of sniper rifle or slug mode for the shotgun -shooting one, accurate, heavily damaging projectile instead of a spread.

This. A railgun of some sort. And I also have a deja vu that I mentioned it in the past :D

Solid Snake said:

Desert eagle, 44 magnum or some heavy handgun or revolver like this....will be useful then for sniping

This reminded me of Postal 2's Desert Eagle: it's ridiculously accurate over long distances, mostly "one shot, one kill" and perhaps the most accurate weapon of all except the sniper's rifle, with the difference that you can shoot it while running around, it's accurate using just the standard crosshair, faster and with much more ammo to spare.

Maes said:

This reminded me of Postal 2's Desert Eagle: it's ridiculously accurate over long distances, mostly "one shot, one kill" and perhaps the most accurate weapon of all except the sniper's rifle, with the difference that you can shoot it while running around, it's accurate using just the standard crosshair, faster and with much more ammo to spare.

I think that's what i unconsciously meant in my post lol, handgun similar to Postal 2-s desert eagle. I think it was the best gun in the game since assault rifles were inaccurate and sniper had constantly low ammo. Hell, someone should port that postal 2-s DE to doom.

The same can be said of the revolver from Half-Life series. Very accurate and powerful. Those futuristic weapons have nothing on the revolver! :P

Maes said:

I think sniper riffles would be pretty useless in most Doom maps. A slug for the shotgun sounds overpowered as well.

I think Doom has a pretty good arsenal of weapon honestly and can't think of much that would make it much better. I would not mind a more powerful pistol to replace the crappy standard pistol.

I remember there's some sort of a sniper rifle in Bad Guns (is that the name? It's compatible with Beautiful Doom IIRC). The only thing missing from it is the "Zoom view" (or whatever it's called)*, but otherwise is what you guys seem to want.

*This "zoom" is present in a couple of weapons in Brutal Doom and Russian Overkill, so it may not be that dificult to implement.

A little more on topic, yeah, a flamethrower.

I'm going to agree with hardcore_gamer here. If the pistol had much less spread (continuous firing, not talking about the 100% accurate first shot that even some modern games like TF2 feature for some reason) and a bit better damage overall per shot compared to the chaingun (which is like a crowd control weapon), I'd feel it would work much better for conserving ammo/plinking distant monsters. Also, give all hitscan weapons vertical spread.

Platinum Shell said:

I'm going to agree with hardcore_gamer here. If the pistol had much less spread (continuous firing, not talking about the 100% accurate first shot that even some modern games like TF2 feature for some reason) and a bit better damage overall per shot compared to the chaingun (which is like a crowd control weapon), I'd feel it would work much better for conserving ammo/plinking distant monsters.

I made a dehacked patch that gives the pistol 100% accuracy and increased firing rate a little while ago. I think it's pretty OK.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1275683

Soundblock said:

A Demoter, that turns barons into hellknights and sarges into zombiemen, perhaps even Mancubuses into imps. For overall ammo conservation.

This.

Obviously would turn an arch into a revenant, as per that other thread.

I wanted something like a more powerful version of the rocket launcher.
The SSG is basically a more powerful version of the shotgun. I was thinking about Super Rocket Launcher and a gun that causes monsters to slowly lose health and makes them infight... I guess it'd be overpowered though.

Really, all I'd add is a Grenade Launcher to deal with those shitty corner ambushes or to lob explosives over small walls. Three bounces, and then... *BOOM*

Guest Unregistered account
Doominator2 said:

I've always wanted a weapon that you would bounce off walls so could you hide around the corner and ambush your enemies, something similar to a grenade launcher...

BaronOfStuff also said:

Really, all I'd add is a Grenade Launcher to deal with those shitty corner ambushes or to lob explosives over small walls. Three bounces, and then... *BOOM*

*COUGH COUGH*

http://i.imgur.com/64Ou77c.png?1?2726

*COUGH COUGH*

Doominator2 said:

I've always wanted a weapon that you would bounce off walls so could you hide around the corner and ambush your enemies, something similar to a grenade launcher or the Ripper from Unreal Tournament.

The Razorjack / Ripper is my favorite weapon from the Unreal series. Would be sweet to see that in Doom.

Joe667 said:

*COUGH COUGH* (Skulltag Grenade Launcher) *COUGH COUGH*

Well yes, anyone can make and add such a weapon now but that's not the point of the thread; we're saying that it would have been nice to have had one back in 1994.

Stuff like grenades and other indirect fire weapons, timed explosive traps, mines, or even decoys (having monsters "fight" fake doomguys) would be neat, and all were implemented in Duke Nukem 3D in some form or another, but the gameplay was quite different. I think they would stand out like a sore thumb against Doom's philosophy of simply directly engaging your enemies and shooting/blasting them in the face.

Doomguy makes War into a straightforward, personal issue, he has no use for sneaky traps, ambush tactics or indirect approaches.

Ooh.. now that is an idea - a mind-control gun. I mean, I have no idea how it would fit within Doom's aesthetic, though. I will say, though, one of my favorite powers in the Jedi Knight series was the mind trick. It really wasn't too useful - I won't say it was useless, it could be very effective to get groups of stormtroopers trying to kill each other, but when you've got things like force lightning and whatnot, you might as well just use that - it was less subtle, but the game didn't exactly reward subtlety, and the lightning was a much more effective power for clearing a room. Heh, now that I think about it, I guess it was kind of a design flaw in the series - you had all kinds of powers, but levels often weren't designed with specific power-use in mind. Which is good - it doesn't punish you for choosing the wrong powers, but it'd be neat if there were instances where you'd be rewarded depending on how you approached a situation. You know, like if there was a bonus for using different methods. Like Mad World for the Wii, for example - been playing it recently, and while you can just straight-out slaughter everyone, you get bonus points for being creative in your kills.

Well, Doom has already a very effective infighting mechanism built-in, which doesn't clash with its "run and gun" philosophy. You need no mind control or decoys to trigger it, either: the monster's own simplicity and brutality is enough. It just requires -like everything else in Doom- to actually stick your neck out to cause it.