Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grain of Salt

Revenants are dead archviles: discuss

* According to the manual, revenants are dead demons who've been resurrected in some vague way.
* Nothing else in doom is as tall as a revenant, besides the archvile.

Conclusion: Revenants are dead archviles.

Someone may have suggested this idea before, but that doesn't matter because I'm copyrighting it, which makes me the owner.

"Revenants are dead archviles" © 2014, Grain of Salt

Goodnight.

No. Cyberdemons are the fathers of...um...hell knights...? I don't know...
You know for some reason I want to see a more skeletal monster- like...a fleshless imp.

Hey, I just came up with a theory that revenants are actually dead archviles. If you want to know more about this fascinating discovery just dial 1-900-613-666-6969.

"Revenants are dead archviles" © 2014, Doominator2

And next time your in hell, dont forget to stop by are "Revenants are dead archviles" Gift shop and get your "Revenants are dead archviles" T-shirts only for a price of 2 years in the slough of despair!

FuzzballFox said:

You know for some reason I want to see a more skeletal monster- like...a fleshless imp.

I've always tried to imagine a man-imp hybrid, the product of impse. Maybe shoots a pistol or chaingun with one hand, blasting fireballs from the other.

Well, Archviles ARE one of the only creatures that can't be resurrected by other Archviles. It makes sense - Revenants are built from demon corpses, but why not just use an Archvile to bring the corpses back - unless they're corpses of creatures that can't be resurrected by Archviles? So - since Archviles can't be brought back by magical means, they'd be perfect candidates for the use of cybernetics. It's not perfect, but it's the best they can do, and the demons do seem to have a "waste not, want not" mentality.

Job said:

I've always tried to imagine a man-imp hybrid, the product of impse. Maybe shoots a pistol or chaingun with one hand, blasting fireballs from the other.

Man-imp-pig, he is real i tell you !

A funny opening to a thread, but i fear that only the recognized or maybe even original creators of the doom fiction could answer this.

Technically, Revenants are only as tall as the player. They just have an unfitting sprite ;P

Yeah, in childhood, when I didn't know what the monsters are called, I thought that
revenants = skeletons
arch-viles = fire skeletons
So they are the same species.

Revenants are not dead Arch Viles. If they were, an Arch Vile could resurrect another, creating a Revenant. They can't. They can't, because a resurrected Arch Vile would be an Arch Vile, and that would make them resurrect each other infinitely. If they resurrected as Revenants, this block wouldn't be necessary.

Someone please compare the sprites to see if the skeleton (revenant) would fit in an archvile body.

I don't think so. I think that revenants are just a skeletal form of a dead creatures not presented in doom with some kind of combat gear added to them. where the hell did they get those rocket launchers anyway?

Also good night.

Makes sense.
They do kind of look alike.
Almost the same height.

It would make sense that since Arch-Viles can't resurrect other arch-viles they just take the corpse and strip the skin, probably to eat, recycle the rest of the body and 'resurrect' it with cybernetics.

I don't think they're based on any monster in the games. Except for the possibility of humans/zombiemen, their bones stretched slightly to a taller skeleton I guess? And fitted with football armor and rocket launchers. Plus they've been trained in boxing cause they throw a mean hook.

I guess the monsters corpses might have a certain expiration time which prevents Archviles from resurrecting them after so they can only bring them back in the form of Revenants, demonic magic would be used to make them undead and the armor is to shield any possible cybernetic implants they have be given to keep them alive as well as the mechanical workings needed for the fireball launchers.

I was gonna say yesterday.. What if arch-vile was the revenants, and revenants was the commando? But it just didn't quite fit into the 'This and That?' Forum game thread.

But the skulls are different shape. Maybe revenants are a mix of various demon and human parts. Maybe the only thing in arch-viles preventing resurrection is their heads.. or like they could resurrect it, but the result would be a drooling moron-vile. So they take the dead arch-vile body and replace the head with the commando head, and fuse it all together with some armor and guns.

Jimi said:

What if arch-vile was the revenants, and revenants was the commando? But it just didn't quite fit into the 'This and That?' Forum game thread.

How would that even work?

I shudder to think of a Revenant/Archvile hybrid.....and then one probably exists in the realm667 library somewhere...

I hate Revenants enough already.

Darch said:

Revenants are not dead Arch Viles. If they were, an Arch Vile could resurrect another, creating a Revenant. They can't. They can't, because a resurrected Arch Vile would be an Arch Vile, and that would make them resurrect each other infinitely. If they resurrected as Revenants, this block wouldn't be necessary.

Arch-Viles resurrecting dead Revs into new Arch-Viles would be pretty cool actually.

Clonehunter said:

Arch-Viles resurrecting dead Revs into new Arch-Viles would be pretty cool actually.

As if the complaints on the use of massed revenants and archviles weren't bad enough as it is...

Revenants have human skulls while the archvile has a huge upper head like megamind. also the archvills don't have human feet

Suitepee said:

I shudder to think of a Revenant/Archvile hybrid.....and then one probably exists in the realm667 library somewhere...

I hate Revenants enough already.

Revenants are the best Johnny. Remember that.

Revenants use shoulder cannons, just like how the Spear of Destiny Death Knight has them. Maybe they're just dead Nazis.

Another silly thread looking too deeply into Doom. Not that I mind, so I'll bite. Why does the Revenant have to be any particular monster? Why not a mish-mash of various different monster's limbs strung together? As for any potential disparity between size and shape, they could probably just use their demonic magic to make it fit the desired dimensions.

I really think a lot of these threads' questions could be solved by simply saying "demonic magic" whenever there's no clear logical explanation. It's also important to keep in mind that Doom plays everything straight, so there's probably no deeper message or anything like "it was all in Doomguy's head" type of stuff.

I imagine the Rev's smaller head could be due to the Vile's noggin size being mostly due to being made mostly of meat. Also, someone make that Moron-Vile, or I'll have to do it myself. And then it wouldn't be half as hilarious for me.