Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darch

Preacher - final version on idgames

Hey Galileo thanks for your quick feedback! I was pretty sure this lift wasn't going to be that appreciated, hence I said "don't play if you don't love lifts" :)

But somehow this lack of control is part of the chaos I wanted to put on this mapset. That central lift is only triggered by the switches, by the way. Monsters keep activating them, they can get out of the blood pits and annoy you at the same time by doing this ;)

It will be uploaded on idgames as soon as I get some more feedback (demos will be adored and watched with beer and popcorn), as I did the testing by myself. 

The second picture is from MAP10 heh surprise

Fair enough, just wanted to know the truth about the lifts, in no way I was going to overlook a new Preacher map :P 

I can record demos, it'll take time if you're ok with waiting. Btw, I didn't find a single bug in your map nor in the rest as you read in my older post. 

32 minutes ago, Darch said:

The second picture is from MAP10 heh surprise

Yes please :0

Now that is one unexpected but damn welcoming comeback! Excited to try the final version! Oh, thank you for introducing me to the music of Those Poor Bastards.

Playing on zdoom - HMP - I've just finished the first three Maps. I usually don't care for partial TC's or Mods, specifically with weapons, but I admit that I'm having a lot of fun with this! I giggle every time I obtain some kind of power-up and hear choir sing, "Hallelujah!" LOL!!

Thanks for not making it a slaughterfest (I have little use for them). Challenging, yes, but not a slaughterfest. A bit greyscale for some players, but given the architectural theme of this game, it's quite okay.

Can't wait to play the rest! Great job! :)

Nice set of maps! Very quirky, with some good dark humor.

If you're still bug-hunting, here's some texturing i found that i assume is not intentional. Note the crucified dudes on both crosses:

OHr80Fw.png

Thanks for the feedback guys! Gonna fix this texture right now. I'm doing a couple of runs to see if I find anything else wrong, sometimes when you fix one thing, you screw another. Like this crucified dudes :P

Edited by Darch

2 hours ago, dylux said:

I usually don't care for partial TC's or Mods, specifically with weapons, but I admit that I'm having a lot of fun with this! I giggle every time I obtain some kind of power-up and hear choir sing, "Hallelujah!" LOL!!

Thanks for not making it a slaughterfest (I have little use for them). Challenging, yes, but not a slaughterfest. A bit greyscale for some players, but given the architectural theme of this game, it's quite okay.

Can't wait to play the rest! Great job! :)

Glad you're having fun! There are graphic and sound replacements, but all game mechanics, weapons and enemies, are untouched :)

Edit: Sorry, double post, I thought I was editing the post above :P

Passing by to say the demos are almost finnished, just need to cook some for the later maps. I'll be uploading them periodically because the conversion eats a lot of time and frames, so if you want you can check the playlist below, though I will bump the thread again anytime soon.

BTW, click the playlist icon at the top and then click on the video, until Youtube decides it to available for the public.

Thanks a lot @galileo31dos01! I really enjoy this kind of footage. Ace playing, by the way. So do you plan to UV max all maps? They can get a bit easy with all secrets found heh, but that's ok, I think there is not enough easy mapsets out there. I can't beat MAP01 of most of WADs I give a shot :P

Thanks!. Yes, casual UV maxes, no speedrunning, 100% everything except I can skip items if the recording is getting too lengthy.  

An odd thing about map 03, it seems you extended it and added a final semi-big fight, yet the exit is always there for free. In map 02 I found a hidden arena via idclip with nothing but a platform, perhaps for deathmatch?

Oh that last fight at MAP03 is optional indeed. It didn't feel as big as the previous fight, and I didn't want to delete it, either. There is a jesusphere as a reward for that, though. 

At MAP02 its almost the same, one last fight that wasn't really needed. Its almost the same arena as the one you mentioned at MAP03, I just excluded it from automap.  They were both part of a continuos play ammo balancing, which is basically one last fight with low or no ammo so you spend some of what you have accumulated at the map. 

Looking forward your next vids!

These maps are fantastic. Very stylish, very creative, and an effective sense of whimsy that's hard to pull off in an otherwise serious project. Ultra-loose combat isn't usually my speed, but it's done with such commitment here (aided by the teleporter gimmick and general surplus of resources) that it felt like something fresh and interesting.

As a technical note, I noticed quite a lot of midtex bleeding (midtex embedded in the floor with the same brightness on either side of it, so the entire texture is rendered into the floor). it's most notable in "Noir". Not egregious, but figured it's worth pointing out.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys!! 

After a few days of midtex bleed hunting, they're hopefully all fixed. There were actually lots of those! It's something I never paid attention to, somehow. @Ribbiks thanks for pointing them out, glad you had fun playing it!

@galileo31dos01That unused arena from MAP02 is gone. And, after a few changes, the last arena at MAP03 is not optional anymore. They made no sense from player's perspective, "mapper doesn't want to delete" is not a good reason to keep confusing areas heh

Hey there, Darch, grats on finalizing this thing! Upon seeing this latest release I was feeling compelled to revisit the entire thing to get the fresh perspective and all, I've already written many things in this thread (mostly silly ones), so now I'll try to keep it relatively short.

This project might be less ambitious than Pirate Doom and maybe more "mundane" compared to some of your zdoom stuff that was all about being grotesque and experimental, but it's still not without its own very specific features, namely coherent visual style, unique personality and very amusing mix of dark atmosphere and humorous underlay that's somewhat similar to American McGee's Alice in its grim and psychedelic insanity. As far as the action goes - at the end of the day, I can only admit that this style of mild chaotic "Nocturnus lite" gameplay is pulled off competently and palatably enough, it's especially interesting how the layouts themselves add to said chaos, being complex, multilayered, nonlinear, with lots of potential for crossfire and unpredictability when it comes to masses of monsters chasing the player down. I'd like to mention map08 specifically (I believe it's the only playable map I haven't seen before) for its unusual quirks that help create quite a hectic mess with lots of moving parts, that's not something to be seen often in pwads, that's cool.

So what can I say, it's definitely a labor of love and care, by no means soulless/generic/whathaveyou, by all means worth a playthrough just for the sum of its parts that work very well together, even if the style of action alone isn't exactly my (or anyone else's for that matter) cup of tea, all in all. One of this year's notable works.

It's fantastic that this community's still got such creative personailities, with their unique vision and lots of creative ideas that end up being channelled into cool and unusual Doom levels that sure can get the players' attention, even after alll these years of the game's "scene" being active. Cheers, and keep up the good work!

Looks crazy cool! I'm big fan of BLOOD so this looks very interesting, I'll play it for sure!

So here's the list of videos updated to map 07, with map 08 coming out in a few hours:

I'm gonna have to pass on map 09 for now, after 40 minutes of cleanup only to die unexpectedly in the finale felt like, real bad. Also it was constantly lagging due to all the things happening at the same time. It's a nasty fun map though I'm not patient enough with no saving. :/ 

Here's also a dumb demo of me finding the "BFG" in map 08 for the first time, after couple attempts: preacher_08nobfg.zip

Hey @galileo31dos01, thanks a lot for your help and effort with recording all these, I've watched them all. Your run with no BFG at map 08 was pretty solid, nice playing there! BFG is intentionally not so easy to find, so it's nice to see that map being finished without it. It was supposed to be - before BFG: hunted / after BFG: hunting

I was wandering what you were going to do about MAP09, I never finished or watched no one finishing it without deaths. If you still have your demo laying around and feel like sharing it, I will gladly watch it, or any other demos you have from these maps, even unfinished ones.

Again, thank you very much for your effort and help, much appreciated :) 

@Demonologist, thanks for your kind review and all feedback you gave since this project started (4 years ago!), it really helped. I made several changes based on your always welcome and relevant point of view.

And @Teder, thanks for the interest, give your feedback after playing, if possible.

I'll be uploading this to idgames soon  :)

Edited by Darch

@Darch No problem man, thanks for watching! I'd probably deleted that failed map09 demo already lol, in part it was my fault for not practicing the finale, my aim was to grab the BFG to kill romero's head, and once I found it, got nailed in one second without a chance to react. I'll get back to it sometime soon, that's for sure.

Hi, been blasting through this mapset for the past couple of days. Have to say it's really fun! I have a question though. Why is there a secret exit on map 6 if it teleports you to the same level as the regular exit?

EDIT: It is possible to trigger the blue key bars again when fighting the cyb. Playing on UV on the latest zdoom version.

Edited by Firedust

Hey @Firedust, that secret exit is there because long ago we had forced death exits and very secret regular exits. I just didn't delete it because you could skip some fights with it, but maybe if it is only confusing I might delete it.

At what map is that cyb fight you mention in your edit?

I believe it was map 7, where you pick up the blue key and then the bars around you raise and a cyb teleports in. 

Map 8 is lagging pretty badly on my computer, by the way. I wonder if it's because I'm using zdoom or because my computer is rubbish. Should probably try playing on my other one t

Oh right, the blue key trap at map 7. But you didn't get stuck, did you? Because the trigger that lower the bars back is repeatable. There multiple non repeatable triggers to raise the bars, so that's why you raised them twice. Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to have only one trigger to raise them without making that fight skippable.

And the last map (map 09 on the latest version), can be pretty laggy, indeed. It should run fine with PRBoom, though

Thanks for the feedback!

Have a fda for MAP08: preacher_m8_gaspefda.zip

Scary roaming cyberdemons that can reach you everywhere and lift that keeps to activate, I had no idea what was happening most of the time. After some death I was able to finish the level though I left some monsters alive.

The new MAP08 is the only map that I still have to play. I clearly remember that I played Crown of Thorns, Babel and Sacrificial Altar last year but I was sure that I also made a post about them :S

@gaspe thanks a lot for the demo! It was highly entertaining to watch :D

Well played!! That moment you had 1% health desperately trying to get the jesusphere was the best hehe

Seems like the final maps have the pace I was looking for since the begging of this project.