Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darch

Preacher - final version on idgames

This is incredible! The textures and new weapon sprites are fantastic. There's so my nice touches it would take too long to write up. The revolver sounds great, I love the Tommy gun, the rocket launcher design is just brilliant. This is the sort of mod I wouldn't mind paying for. A bit of feedback:

- Why does my character shout BOLLLOOCKS! every now and then?
- Having faith as your armour was a great idea, but the rest of the HUD could be touched up a bit (the black doesn't look right to me)
- A cyberdemon in MAP01 was intense but might not leave much else for the other maps
- MAP01 overall was outstanding. Beautifully designed and flowing, very atmospheric and coherent
- Is the intermission track a placeholder? Because it kind of killed all of the atmosphere and style that the map, weapon design and music built up
- The character voice work is grand, I love how insane he sounds

Overall really damn impressive and I'd love to see how it progresses.

Darch said:

Thank you gaspe! Sorry I took so long to reply, I'm having very little free time lately, so unfortunately dooming had to be put aside last month. But I've watched all your demos, they were all well played and provided great feedback for every map.

Today I was able to map again a little bit, I'm veeeery slooowly working on another map for this project. I really don't want to leave it unfinished, but free time is really tight now, hope to see your fdas again when it's done.

Don't worry, I'm glad that the demons have been helpful. I'm looking forward to see the next maps :)

A curious 1 year+ bump from myself, as having played this as part of a playtesting stream a while back I saw some decent potential from this (music choice being a bit grating aside personally) so I ask; how goes this wad? Is it still being made?

By chance, I stumbled upon this while cleaning up my hard drive today. It looked interesting enough so I decided to create a server config for it. Given that Suitepee already bumped the thread, here's a couple of issues I discovered in case this comes back to life :)

MAP05 is missing DM starts; it is also possible to exit early by shooting a rocket towards the Romero head area where splash damage will detonate the barrels.

Hey, long time no see! Thanks for the feedback, nice to see there is (was?) still some interest in this. After two unsuccessful new map attempts, I think this one might get somewhere. I don't have 1/10th of the time for dooming that I had some years ago, but I´m slowly getting back to it.

Some screeshots of WIP map:

Darch said:

Hey, long time no see! Thanks for the feedback, nice to see there is (was?) still some interest in this.

I'm still interested in this. When I saw the topic come up I thought someone necro'ed this thread. I was plesently surprised to see it was you and posting progress pictures. Take your time and I look forward to your next update on this.

Very very cool stuff! The gothic city overtones you've pulled off so far are excellent, I really enjoy the dirty and rusty look.

Looking forward to more, and good luck!

Thanks, guys! Hey, could some graphic artist help me with one thing? I'm covering the zombies faces, but it didn't turn out very good. The concept was a sad white mask, but it looks a bit flat in game, and I couldn't rotate them properly.

It's just these four frames:

I don't know exactly what's wrong with them, if it's lack contrast, shadowing...
Also, I couldn't draw the nose seen from the side, and it looks more like Jason when it turns around.

Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks!!!

I did the classic 5 rotation, but if there was some asymmetrical mask that required full rotations, wouldn't be a problem to do it.

hehe thanks Ezepov, I´ve also tried black and red, but it felt a bit like a clown, especially with a coconut hat hehe (I´ve tried a hat, too).

But thank you for the sprites!

Wow the first mask is perfect, could you draw the other 3 rotations, as in my sprite reference? I think there's no need for a hat (although I loved the third one).

Thank you very much!

I'm having this tile issue with a transferred sky:

Have someone seen something like this before? I could't find the problem by myself.
This only happens in PRBoom 1.3. ZDoom and PRBoom 1.4 display it fine.

But I had it working normally in previous versions of this map, even with PRBoom 1.3, so I probably screwed it at some point.

Things I already tried:
- deleted the sky graphic and imported it again;
- deleted this texture and patch at TEXTURES lump, and added again;
- deleted, as a test, the sky texture from the upper sidedefs that transferred it, and got this:

- untagged some sky transfer sectors to see the result, and it was quite different:

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Aquanet, graphically it sure does look like this, but the strange thing is that it happens with any texture I use to replace sky, so IDK. It always tiles with that weird colored line.

I´ve also tried tagging every sector in this map with the right sky tag (to check if I missed some sector) but the bug is still there. Weird.

Thanks Memphis, well I couldn't figure out either what it is. Guess I won't waste more time on it since I suppose everybody is using the latest PRBoom version. What bugs me more is that I still have an older version with this exact sky working properly, but I've made too many changes since then that I won't recall.

BTW the new map is almost done, I'll post it in a few days.

Minor bug report: Some of the wav files supplied appear to have incorrect metadata. For example DSPISTOL's metadata says the length of the actual sound is about twice that of the actual length (you can see this in the way that SLADE finishes playing the sound whilst the bar is half-way along). This is not an issue in PRBoom+ or ZDoom, but is in Eternity. I have made a fix that allows EE to play these files, but I'll need to run it by Quasar as this changes how sanity checking of wav files is done. I'm not sure if this same issue manifests in other Boom-compatible source ports.

After fixing that up (on EE's end) though, I'm really enjoying playing through this so far. Keep up the great work!

EDIT: Fix has been pushed in: https://github.com/team-eternity/eternity/commit/6526ffa2515c6a3df874e6c235e8ebf5f5a45c5e

Thanks Altazimuth! Some wav files were weird indeed, they played at half speed, I recall having to change their speeds. Glad you could fix it at Eternity's end, PRBoom and ZDoom didn't show this problem.

Ok, so here's Preacher version 0.6:
confrariadacosta.com.br/doom/preacherv06.zip

Major updates:
- A new map (slot 06);
- No more death exits; I tried to balance it for both continuous and pistol start game modes, and ammo has been drastically reduced due to this;
- Those Poor Bastards music is back, but not along the maps;
- New sprite edits (Zombies and some itens (TX Ezepov!));
- New sounds and maniac laughs for our sick hero;
- Map names, new hud (still sucks), etc. I tried to do everything from my "to do" list, in case I disappear again :)

MAP06 lags on ZDoom, but IDK, my computer is crap. PRBoom runs fine.
There are some screeshots at the top of this page, I'm going to get some new ones, but it didn't change much.

Nagging duck strikes once again: No coop starts in map06 (neither DM starts; they seem to be everywhere else).

Also, map06 can be cheated with freelook if you shoot the ceiling above Romero's head. But whether this is something you want to do anything about depends solely on in which port and with what settings your wad is intended to be played.

Do you have a target number of maps in mind you would want this to have? I find the thought of this being played in TNS with 20-30 players running around with the sounds it your wad features quite amusing xD

Oh boy, those multiplayer starts again :P I test single player 100 times and always leave those out. Thanks for pointing it.

About how many more maps, I guess there will be only one or two more small maps at first slots.

I'm aware that Romero can be shot with free look, it is intended to be played without modern features, but maybe I could change it a little bit to avoid this cheap way of killing him. I don't know, is it is bad design? We're in 2017, after all.

And what's TNS, by the way? I'd like to tune properly this mapset for multiplayer.

And here are the screenshots (with updated shots from previous maps):

Spoiler

Darch said:

Oh boy, those multiplayer starts again :P I test single player 100 times and always leave those out.

Seems like rhinoduck maybe forgot to mention it so I'm just going to link it myself: https://rhinoduck.net/wiki/tnswutil

Very useful utility for Doom wads. You can quickly check a lot of stuff, including coop starts:

tnswutil -c coopstarts -w PREACHER.wad
output:
---MAP01 1 1 1 1
---MAP02 1 1 1 1
---MAP03 1 1 1 1
---MAP04 1 1 1 1
---MAP05 1 1 1 1
---MAP06 1 1 1 1
---MAP07 1 1 1 1
---MAP34 1 1 1 1

Darch said:

And what's TNS, by the way? I'd like to tune properly this mapset for multiplayer.

Thursday Night Survival, weekly multiplayer survival session on ZDaemon. Your wad seems to be a good fit and we would gladly help you coop-test it once it reaches the final number of maps.

Seems like you accidently posted a broken link to your site so here is one that works:
http://www.confrariadacosta.com.br/doom/preacherv07.zip

Lastly, for future version of the wad please name it with the version number in the filename the same way you do for the zip file. This helps the players to avoid filename conflicts and keep multiple versions of the wad without renaming it themselves with an arbitrary name.