Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

DOOM Lives! Teaser trailer inside.

But... my heart... why do this now? why not say it when first showing the teaser trailer? I may cry, somebody hold me.

The official version is that they don't want another QC to go by without DOOM. But I think they will show it nonetheless shortly after. It's just that it'll be shown first at QC. They probably realize that people will stream and record it anyway (since it'll happen during the opening ceremony).

Of course for me it doesn't matter because I'll skip it either way.

After giving it some thought I have to say that this situation reeks of bullshit. You don't use the word 'reveal' on every banner and next to 'DOOM' only to later 'clarify' it's not really a reveal but an 'exclusive sneak peek'. DOOM (4) has become a marketing tool for Bethesda. They used it to sell TNO and now they're using it to promote QC.

Bwahahahaha! Those idiots don't realize that we have cell phones with cameras built inside and somebody is going to probably upload a 1080p video of the new DOOM game to Youtube and everyone is going to go crazy....

That is if it's actually DOOM. If it's DNF or Aliens: Colonial Marines then I am out....

I don't see a problem with keeping it exclusive to QuakeCon for a while, but they should have emphasized that in the trailer.

Instead of saying "REVEAL AT QUAKECON", they should have said, "EXCLUSIVE REVEAL AT QUAKECON".

My only disappointment with this news is that the 'reveal' will most likely be smaller than I hoped. Probably just one trailer. I was hoping for more of a blowout.

DooM_RO said:

Blast it, you beat me to it!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT IT LIVES! IT LIIIIIIVEES.

Ok, now lets dissect the trailer.

I'm not sure what to make of the design but that door sound was a really cool touch.

EDIT:

Is it just me or is the door at 0:58 a remake of BIGDOOR2?!!

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what and where exactly is BigDoor2? I know your referring to the actual door but i don't recall it in the original DOOM.

It's the first door in Doom. I recall Willits saying that he thought Doom was cool when he first saw the first room but he didn't know that texture at the end of the hallway was actually a door, he thought that was it. Once he opened it, it was like opening a whole new world which is why I think that door was added in the trailer at his request.

DooM_RO said:

It's the first door in Doom.

I kind of thought that but if I recall it's no bigger than any of the other doors in the game. And why the number 2?

FLAW_88 said:

I kind of thought that but if I recall it's no bigger than any of the other doors in the game. And why the number 2?

It's the name of the texture used in the game. So if you wanted a door while making a map/level in Doom, you might want to texture that door with BIGDOOR2, or you might want the door to look different, maybe you use BIGDOOR3 instead.

It is a big door compared to the other "slim" doors in the game. It just so happens that most of the doors in Doom are big lol.

DooM_RO said:

It's the first door in Doom. I recall Willits saying that he thought Doom was cool when he first saw the first room but he didn't know that texture at the end of the hallway was actually a door, he thought that was it. Once he opened it, it was like opening a whole new world which is why I think that door was added in the trailer at his request.

This makes me so excited. The Door, the shotgun sound. This is why it makes me so happy that Tim has such a big presence at id. He is a huge id software fan himself, and I can't think of anyone else in the industry who I would trust more with Doom, or id software overall to be honest.

I know id software gets a lot of shit these days, and it must pain Tim to have heard that all the games he's helped create are "merely tech demos" when id has always had really solid design, it's just a simple arcade-style design. I hope they don't lose their roots, which are rock-solid mechanics coupled with thick, dark atmosphere.

Please god tell me that Rage was a fluke, that you guys can still make an FPS the old-guard way, in some technohell with oppressive atmosphere.

We'll find out in a few days...but someone will have to volunteer to take notes at Quakecon. Someone balanced and capable of having an open mind would do (meaning someone who isn't some Brutal Doom fanboy). Dammit, I wish I didn't live on the other side of this blasted world. If I were from the US I would go to Quakecon in a heartbeat. It's fucking Doom 4 and I can't see it. FUCK!

I specifically asked to be off of work the 17th, the first day of QC and the day of the reveal. Expect to hear from me in that regard.

Wow, I am really grateful for this GoatLord. Doomworld salutes you! If more people are going then it would be a good idea to compile a list of carefully crafted questions for the inevitable Q&A that will get past Willits' PR speak...or at least get SOME useful information. Tough questions that cannot be easily dodged but still diplomatic.

I'm honestly curious to see if some of the Williams-made monsters will be present, like the Mother Demon and the Nightmare monsters. Or those stupid darts.

I don't want any kind of mystic weapon - item as I said in a previous post.

I also want a good physics. When you shoot with a shotgun for example, I want so see enemies being thrown back like in Resident Evil 4(RE4 shotgun is the most awesome one for me).

That chainsaw in Wolfenstien N.O... lot of effort gone into that beefy looking thing... i predict a return in the new Doom

GoatLord said:

I specifically asked to be off of work the 17th, the first day of QC and the day of the reveal. Expect to hear from me in that regard.

Please have my children.

Mystic weapons like the Unmakers would be badass. And their existence can be explained like this:

1. Demons made them for the same reason they infight: they hate each other.

2. They don't use them in the invasions because they're useless against anything not demonic.

3. They don't use them because their effectiveness on everything demonic makes them too dangerous to throw around; like our nukes. So rival factions just keep them around for the same reason humans keep nukes.

4. They're cool.

Kaskaum said:

I don't want any kind of mystic weapon - item as I said in a previous post.

I also want a good physics. When you shoot with a shotgun for example, I want so see enemies being thrown back like in Resident Evil 4(RE4 shotgun is the most awesome one for me).

Yeah, but that's not good physics though. I think what you want is exaggerated physics. Good physics would be having the monster or zombie simply falling over and dying after a shotgun blast. A real life shotgun blast does not make a person fly backwards.

Jaxxoon R said:

Realistic doesn't always equal good.

I think he means good as in satisfying and intuitive.

Yeah, I know. I want satisfying physics too. I want my guns to feel powerful. I was just pointing out that a shotgun blast making a person flying backwards is not necessarily "good" or "realistic" physics.

I'm pretty sure we'll be disappointed like always. I can't wait!

Yeah it's actually starting to become entertaining to be disappointed about Doom(4). Anything beyond "There isn't much to say" would be amazing though :O

doom_is_great said:

Yeah, I know. I want satisfying physics too. I want my guns to feel powerful. I was just pointing out that a shotgun blast making a person flying backwards is not necessarily "good" or "realistic" physics.

One problem with RAGE was that the enemies had sort of a delayed reaction when shot. So I hope that's improved. But beyond that, I think satisfying gore would feel even better. Maybe not as extreme as Brutal Doom, but blowing off chunks of the enemies would give me a boner.

Don't act like you don't want to blow off the upper body of an imp with your double-barrel shotgun. C'MON NOW.

I will admit, after having played around with Brutal Doom for a while and then going back to normal, it felt really weird to see enemies just flop on the ground after shooting them. It almost felt as if the bullets didn't even directly hit them and just fazed on through.