Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

When should I upgrade my Pc next?

So a new gaming generation is now upon us. Now that the next-gen consoles are out, game devs will actually start creating games that are more demanding on the hardware. I currently have a PC who's last upgrade was in 2011 about a month before RAGE was released (which was released in october, I think). This makes it roughly 2 and half year's old. It is still a pretty solid rig, and can run most games fairly well. However already I can notice that some of the more demanding games are pushing my machine to it's limits. I am not going to upgrade right away because doing so is expensive and there is still a lot of juice in my pc, but this got me wondering...when SHOULD I upgrade my pc?

My biggest fear is that if I upgrade too soon at the start of a new gaming generation, then my pc will be struggling with games in less then 2-3 years because I upgraded too early before new hardware comes out that can better handle next-gen games. Or perhaps this doesn't matter at all and a brand new pc today will play all future next gen games of this generation just fine?

When is it wise to upgrade?

When you need to and the money is available.

Seriously, there's hardly any other answer. Are you constantly hitting RAM limits? That's a good sign of needing an upgrade or new board.

Do you want to play Witcher 3 and your present PC will only do it on low settings, if at all? That's another sign.

If the reason why you use your pc starts to show that it is aging to hard to let you do what you want to do, while having the financial safety to pay for the upgrades and bills.

Never do such things on a whim of the moment like for a game you would not play much anyway, or just because you where standing next to some slightly better parts (hardware) in a store.

I'm in a similar pickle. My rig is really starting to show its age, and I can't afford to even save up to build a new one in one bulk sweep (sucks being an adult), so I'm just going to start piecing it together probably one or two parts per month. Too many cool games coming out soon that my old Core 2 Duo just can't handle anymore.

hardcore_gamer said:

When you can't run your favorite source port?

Nomad said:

I'm in a similar pickle. My rig is really starting to show its age, and I can't afford to even save up to build a new one in one bulk sweep (sucks being an adult), so I'm just going to start piecing it together probably one or two parts per month. Too many cool games coming out soon that my old Core 2 Duo just can't handle anymore.

If you can buy a part every month why can't you save up for parts?

You know what's dumb? I have nearly a whole set of new parts sitting behind me and haven't migrated because I don't want to reinstall all my crap.

I would upgrade before Doom 4 comes out...or this fall. At the end of this year the true next gen games are going to be released and who knows what new computer components are gonna come out.

If you have a nice stable job and some credit apply for Newegg's preferred account (not that dumbass Bill me later or wtf ever it's called). No payment for 12 months, and if you pay it off before the 12 months is up, you're golden. I just did that, got an eight-core etc etc. You'll be set for a very long time and never have to worry about lump sums. ONLY DO THAT THOUGH IF YOU CAN AFFORD PAYING IT OFF WITHIN TWELVE MONTHS so your ass doesn't shred to hamburger by interest.

Here's my decision making process for every purchase:

1. Estimate a price or budget.
2. Divide budget by hourly wage.
3. Ask self, "Do I want to trade that many hours of my life for this item?" If "Nope," then screw it. If "Sure," move onto step 4.
4. Consider that if I'm willing to work for an hour to earn my hourly wage, then I should be equally willing to spend an hour researching prices if I can save myself that same amount.
5. Run a few test searches on Amazon and Ebay.
6. Get bored.
7. Screw it.

hardcore_gamer said:

After the 800-series nVidias are out. At that point you can either get 700s for less or go for the newest and biggest from the new series.