Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scaled

request: doom inventory

I'm not sure how good an idea this is but basically steal from strife here. Put a simple inventory system in doom so when you pick things up you can choose to use them later, and it persists across levels.

How hard would that be to do? Has it been done? And am I an idiot for asking?

I have a larger idea, but this is one of the basic things and I want to get the simple probably not going to get laughed at stuff out of the way.

No, it's not an "idiotic" question. It's definitely possible at least in (G)ZDoom, I know I've seen Doom/Doom 2 wads with inventory implemented (I can't remember names though). But you'll have to wait for someone with more experience for the "technical explanation".

I assume this is the same sort of thing in Hexen and Heretic? that is already quite possible in (G)ZDoom and the like

ZDaemon has inventory system implemented for a long time, actually. Not many servers use it, though. On most of them it's only used for invisibility but there are sometimes "It's shopping time!" and similar servers which use it for several items. Only see 1 server like this at the time.

This wad for GZDoom also uses inventory.

Yeah it's very easy to do in g/zdoom, just define an artifact item with the INVBAR flag in DECORATE, probably of the CustomInventory class. Just check out how they do the Porkalator or stuff like that, you can't miss it.
Zandronum also applies, of course, but there are caveats about its DECORATE implementation due to not keeping up.

Note that for Doom you might need to set a flag to keep inventory after clearing a map in ZMAPINFO, otherwise you get reduced to about one item of each type, for some reason. Other than that, easy peasy.

hetdegon said:

Note that for Doom you might need to set a flag to keep inventory after clearing a map in ZMAPINFO, otherwise you get reduced to about one item of each type, for some reason. Other than that, easy peasy.

Since you're already going to redefine the items, anyway, then it's better to do it on the items themselves, instead, with the Inventory.InterHubAmount property.

The item reduction is something from Heretic, and was put there for balance reasons, if I'm not mistaken.