Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cacatou

Compiling the greatest megawad ever

Let's say you were able to make a 32-level mapset and you could choose from any existing map for each slot with the only restriction that no more than 3 maps could be from the same WAD. How would you compose your megawad and using which maps?

greatest megawad ever

Sorry to derail, but for me at least, I don't think such a "greatest compilation" would be possible. Quality is not only subjective, but also depends on context. You can have a great map, and then another great map in a completely different style, and these two wouldn't work together at all. There are too many good maps out there, but also too many different styles, each is appealing for somebody else and in some distinct way. Even if I tried, I wouldn't memorize and point at 32 particular maps which I'd call superior to all the other maps out there.

But maybe somebody will...

I agree but that's why I want to see what maps people would regard as fitting in a style while still maintaining the quality.

Yes, I started playing with this and it made no sense.
First, I had to reject Ultimate Doom maps, no matter how great they were, they just can be placed in between Doom II maps, they can't. No.
Then I decided to reject Boom and ZDoom stuff for sake of simplicity and "keeping this classic".
Then partial conversions... I had to reject STRAIN maps as they had new weapons which would destroy weapon progression, but I kept one Mordeth map and even one Osiris map, as the plasma replacement is not that different from the original.

I stopped around year 2002 and I have 19 maps. You could add some ksutra, scythe 1/2, pl2 etc. maps and easily make it an unbelievable magawad :-P

The progression: more or less by difficulty and weapons.

equinox map 1 (or darken2 map 1)
mordeth map 4
requiem map 8 (ssg)
requiem map 11 (rl)
osiris map 5 ("plasma")
plutonia map 1
plutonia map 14
plutonia map 20
chord_ng
darken 2 map 11
eternal map 28
requiem map 24
plutonia map 23 (bfg)
mm2 map 25
mm2 map 27
mm2 map 29
av map 11
av map 20
slayer map 10

I could probably do this with my own maps, but I don't think I know the vast range of other stuff I've played well enough to do it properly. It's an interesting idea though! Could have a bit of a laugh doing the exact opposite, too... I'm thinking CC MAP05 and 29 would be shoo-ins there :p

Purist that's actually pretty cool thread idea, too bad I didn't noticed it earlier.