Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Brutal Doom SE shotguns are overpowered

So I just tried out a popular mod for Brutal Doom that is suppose toe enhance the game even futher: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37889

I really love most of the changes for it, but there is one rather big problem I have with it so far. The changes to the shotguns.

It appears that the author is trying to motivate the player to use something else then just the shotguns like a lot of players do, so he has messed with the shotguns to do this. Basically what he did was making them more powerful and accurate, but in return has decreased the amount of ammo you can get for them (shell boxes only give you 12 shells now instead of 20, for example). Basically what this means, is that you can't use the shotgun as your default weapon anymore because you will just run out of ammo for it, but what is worse is that because they are now so much more powerful and accurate they are basically so powerful when you use them that it's not really worth it using them on normal enemies anymore because it feels like a waste. You can actually 1 shot demons from 10 meters away now. Instead you are better off just using them on medium to higher level monsters.

This really bugs me, because blowing a part zombies with the shotgun is like half of Doom to me. Anyone else who enjoys this mod who think this was a poor design decision?

Nope, it's just a change of balance and pace from the original behaviour (->more power, less ammo, different usage strategy). There's always a risk that somebody might not like a particular change or see it as unnatural, gameplay mods are just like that. Brutal Doom specially does a good job in tweaking (some people say "breaking") balance. I don't see this particular change as a poor decision.

scifista42 said:

Nope, it's just a change of balance and pace from the original behaviour (->more power, less ammo, different usage strategy). There's always a risk that somebody might not like a particular change or see it as unnatural, gameplay mods are just like that. Brutal Doom specially does a good job in tweaking (some people say "breaking") balance. I don't see this particular change as a poor decision.

The biggest problem I have with it is the increased effective range of the normal shotgun. You should not be able to use the shotgun like a riffle.

As for the lack of ammo, I will admit having played the game for some more that you do have enough shells on some levels so I guess this problem varies depending on maps. Still don't like the decision though.

Yeah you will have a lot more fun if you just accept that everything about it is over-the-top and usually implemented for the purpose of eye candy.

Maybe you could try playing without that mod if you do not like what it does? It's just a suggestion, though. Food for thought.

Brutal Doom is basically just Doom Comic-esque charades of gore and dirty language. it's made to make you feel like a bad-ass, so it makes sense for the allmighty boomstick to be even, well, mightier. also, i think the tightened spread might be 'cause the mod has headshots, and a well-aimed shotgun blast to the head will mostly end whatever monster's life pretty quickly.